How far can Iowa go?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Iowa will go 1-1 vs PSU and Wisky, but drop 1 or 2 of their other games against "lesser" teams when they turn it over once or twice. Live by the turnover, die by the turnover.

They will end up 9-3 or 10-2, and very likely win the west.

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
If the Hawks were in a prevent defense in the 4th quarter, they must have been in a prevent offense in the 2nd half (23 yds + 26 plays = #5, bring on Alabama)

When Iowa went up 27-10 here is how the offenses looked:

Iowa 163 total yards, and 0 turnovers
ISU 198 total yards, and 4 turnovers.

The game was absolutely over at that point, everyone knew it (so much so) that CMC pulled Purdy and soon after pulled Hall. So once again, congrats on winning garbage time that didn't matter. If you actually watched that game and thought that ISU's offense was somehow so much better than Iowa's offense then you don't know much about football.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I don't know how far the Hawkeyes can go and I do not care....

WE HAVE LOST WAY TOO MANY GAMES IN A ROW UNDER CAMPBELL....

AND THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE....THIS FANBASE DESERVES SO MUCH BETTER THAN......

LOSING EVERY YEAR TO THE hoks!!

Legend Hawk

Sep 2, 2018
This is insane! This is against two top 20 teams both with QB's who were voted 1st or 2nd team All Conference. Moss has been targeted 10 times and given up 3 catches for 18 yards and has 2 pick sixes. Hankins has been targeted 9 times, given up 4 catches for 34 yards and has 2 picks as well.

Reactions: 7Got6 and GoHawks

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Nothing I saw out of Iowa last Saturday would suggest their offense is any good. They are getting a lot of credit for beating two ranked teams early in the season. I haven't looked, but they're probably the only team who has faced two ranked opponents, and they beat them both.

With that said, if they face a high powered offense, the Iowa offense is going to have a hard time keeping up, if they can at all. The defense will be able to slow down the opponents offense, but just that, slow them down. I think Iowa will be in a lot of close games allowing their opponents the opportunity to catch a break and win.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
I don't know how far the Hawkeyes can go and I do not care....

WE HAVE LOST WAY TOO MANY GAMES IN A ROW UNDER CAMPBELL....

AND THAT IS UNACCEPTABLE....THIS FANBASE DESERVES SO MUCH BETTER THAN......

LOSING EVERY YEAR TO THE hoks!!
And with losing EVERY year to Iowa, there's more and more Hawkeye crap for sale - even here in Ames. From apparel to mugs at retail stores, even to Hawk decorated cookies and cupcakes at Dutch Oven Bakery on Duff. This is ON GAME DAY - in CYCLONE COUNTRY.

Reactions: CyBobby

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
I think the rational Iowa fans I know still are very unsure of what they have. I'd characterize it as cautious optimism. Did they happen to face two teams that just had very bad days, or are they good enough to be causing those bad days? Who knows.

Lemmiwinks

Aug 31, 2018
Ankeny
And with losing EVERY year to Iowa, there's more and more Hawkeye crap for sale - even here in Ames. From apparel to mugs at retail stores, even to Hawk decorated cookies and cupcakes at Dutch Oven Bakery on Duff. This is ON GAME DAY - in CYCLONE COUNTRY.
Nice, how were the cookies and cupcakes?

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
This is insane! This is against two top 20 teams both with QB's who were voted 1st or 2nd team All Conference. Moss has been targeted 10 times and given up 3 catches for 18 yards and has 2 pick sixes. Hankins has been targeted 9 times, given up 4 catches for 34 yards and has 2 picks as well.

Yet you are afraid of Maryland’s WR’s.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
I think they're primed for a solid run through BIG. TO magic will run out at some point and they will need their offense to win them some games eventually (similar to what ISU has needed with their O & D the past few years). Hard to think that is a recipe for going without a loss given what we've seen.

But win the West and give OSU a challenge in CCG.

• Agree
Reactions: deadeyededric

iahawks

Sep 7, 2012
I had Iowa at 8-4 after starting the year 1-1. I can bump that to 9-3 now. I don't think Iowa is the #5 team in the nation, but I guess they deserve to be there for now. I hope they keep proving me wrong.

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I had Iowa at 8-4 after starting the year 1-1. I can bump that to 9-3 now. I don't think Iowa is the #5 team in the nation, but I guess they deserve to be there for now. I hope they keep proving me wrong.
I think the Hawks and Clones both need the o-line play to improve and get their running games established. The good news for both teams is that they're about to play games where they should be able to do this. If we're still talking about Hawkeye offensive/oline struggles after the next 2 games we have real problems. It usually takes some time for the lines to come together and rarely if ever will they start a season playing 2 defenses as good as they've just seen.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
I honestly think without the gifts we gave them and that horrible non PI call (that would have given us the lead) they might not even be 2-0 right now. However, those plays were made and its the results that count. My point is I think they're living on house money. That lack of their offense (we outgained them almost double) will rear its ugly head sometime against them.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
I think they're primed for a solid run through BIG. TO magic will run out at some point and they will need their offense to win them some games eventually (similar to what ISU has needed with their O & D the past few years). Hard to think that is a recipe for going without a loss given what we've seen.

But win the West and give OSU a challenge in CCG.
They may end up playing Penn State again.

• Agree
Reactions: TRYHARDER

TRYHARDER

Aug 23, 2019
I honestly think without the gifts we gave them and that horrible non PI call (that would have given us the lead) they might not even be 2-0 right now. However, those plays were made and its the results that count. My point is I think they're living on house money. That lack of their offense (we outgained them almost double) will rear its ugly head sometime against them.
so you're concerned about a possible 15 yard penalty but not concerned that your QB didn't/couldn't make the throw anyway? Purdy either 1 - didn't throw it when he should have or 2 - couldn't get the ball where he needed it when he did throw. But if you think that 1 fifteen yard penalty cost you the game then you probably can't be convinced otherwise. Also * see post #63 for yardage totals when the game went to 27-10.