How far away do you live from your birthplace?

How far do you live from your birthplace?

• Same House

Votes: 6 2.4%
  • Same CIty

Votes: 25 9.9%
  • Same Region

Votes: 47 18.7%
  • Same State

Votes: 67 26.6%
  • Further

Votes: 106 42.1%
  • Who knows

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters

Cyclonesince78

Mar 8, 2012
Born in Delaware. I could have been a Joe Flacco fan, thank god my parents moved when I was very young.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
1697.9 miles

Born in Covina, CA (part of LA). Have also lived in TX, WA, FL, KS & San Francisco, CA. Except for the period in TX from 6 mos old to 5 years old, I've never lived in the same state as my grandparents. Ever since my ex finished his PhD I have not lived in the same state as my parents.

It blows me away how many of my Iowan friends have lived within a 100 mile radius all of their lives, even when they were at college. That's just so foreign to me (even though I have lived here now for over 30 years).

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Currently live about 4 hours away but will be moving within an hour from the home farm here in the next week.

urb1

Jan 23, 2010
Urbandale
589 miles from Cincinnati. And I still miss Skyline, White castle, and goetta, but had my Skyline fix in March.

ItsCyence

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Sioux City
Born in Pierre, SD. I lived in Ft. Dodge and Ankeny growing up. I now live outside a town that is about 40 miles away from Pierre.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Is your birthplace the town where the hospital you were born in is located, or is it where your parents lived at the time? I was born in Osage, but my parents never lived there. They lived in the country between two much smaller towns that didn't have medical facilities. Osage was the closest hospital, and the location of my actual birth, but it was never my hometown.

So, in terms of miles to the hospital, I live 40.8 miles from the exact building (Mitchell County Hospital) I was born in.

I live 34 miles from the farm I grew up on.

Interestingly enough, despite being that close, and being in the same state, one could make the argument that I live in a different region than where I was born (NE IA v. NC IA; hills v. flatlands).

I put my answer in before I read the thread. I'm in the same boat. My birth certificate says Covina, CA, which actually doesn't exist any more. It's now West Covina. However, my family lived in Azusa, which was too small to have its own hospital at the time (1955).

Bret44

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2009
Cedar River Valley
Why are so many people using miles for the distance. You all know that hours/minutes is the only acceptable measurement of distance used in Iowa.

twocoach

Jan 13, 2014
Omaha
Born in St. Joseph, MO. Moved to Detroit, MI area then Colorado Springs, CO then Maryland/Delaware, then Colorado Springs, CO again then Cleveland, OH area then Indianapolis, IN and now Omaha, NE. So all that moving around and I am back to about 135 miles from my hometown.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron