How do think it will turn out in the B12?

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Let's cut the BS here and stop acting like anyone would be okay losing to Iowa this season. Sure, an Iowa loss means nothing for Big 12 implications, but Surly is right (can't believe I'm actually saying that) it would be a catalyst win and momentum builder towards that special season we all can see so clearly with our Cardinal & Gold glasses on!!

We want to win all of our games and Iowa is an in-state rival so we'd like to beat them. Nobody disagrees with that. We're disagreeing with Surly's opinion that the Iowa game has any bearing on how we do the rest of the year. The last few years are proof of how inaccurate that is.

srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
Downtown Minneapolis
It's a very good indicator of how good ISU is or isn't. All I'm saying is that if ISU beats Iowa in Ames, that is a catalyst for them going forward, proving early-on that they are in fact what has been projected them to be. If they lose, the opposite is the case. Obviously, the game itself isn't counted in the B12 standings.
I can understand why one might think this. But this is the one game for Iowa State that you really can't say it as fact.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Winning the Big 12 is still the ultimate goal, I get it, and while I agree with you, you can not convince me that beating a ranked Iowa team at home game #2 of our season with the possibility of both teams being undefeated and College Gameday coming to Ames for the first time ever isn't huge. A win against Iowa under those circumstances sets the stage for a very special narrative for our season.

Nobody is arguing that a win over Iowa this year wouldn't be huge. My previous comments were towards Surly that Iowa States can't still have a wildly successful season and still lose to Iowa, which is 100% false.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
1. ISU
2-10. IDGAF

Iowa game only affects our seed in the CFP.

1*NEVWE956OQKIWbWhmPjWjQ.png

inCyteful

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 28, 2012
Fort Collins, CO
1) Texas
2) OU
3) ISU
4) TCU
5) Baylor
6) OSU
7-10) Who cares

And no, we don't have to beat Iowa. We want to beat Iowa, we should beat Iowa and we will beat Iowa but we don't have to beat Iowa.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Lyon309Cy

Sep 5, 2010
Seriously though, a case can be made for any of the preseason top 3 to win, or drop, and every team in the middle of the pack is capable of pulling an upset or two. The round robin is especially fun in a year like this when even the teams at the top have chinks in the armor.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The question is: is an OSU loss to ISU the catalyst in the demise of Gundy because how dare you lose to lowly Iowa State!
I don't believe the 'lowly Iowa State' card plays well anymore. In fact, people are going to be watching to see how ISU plays as the hunted this year.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
SIAP

Pat Forde from the top rope!

Minnesota, Iowa State and Missouri (2) will all be undefeated going into November. The first College Football Playoff rankings will be released on Nov. 5. Are you ready for the Gophers, Cyclones and Tigers to all be in the top 10, and perhaps even one or two of them in the top five? Because it says right here that’s going to happen, before reality arrives like a fence post swung by Buford Pusser the following Saturday.

Minnesota, with an abundance of returning experience, will be 8-0 after playing South Dakota State, at Fresno State, Georgia Southern, at Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska, at Rutgers and Maryland. Then comes a visit from Penn State that will draw a lot of attention.

Missouri will be 8-0 after playing at Wyoming, West Virginia, Southeast Missouri, South Carolina, Troy, Mississippi (all at home), at Vanderbilt and at Kentucky. The last of those games is no lock, since Mizzou has lost four straight to the Wildcats, but karma will circle back around after last year’s robbery in Columbia. The Tigers will then lose by four touchdowns at Georgia on Nov. 9.

Iowa State will be 8-0 after playing Northern Iowa, Iowa, Louisiana-Monroe, at Baylor, TCU, at West Virginia, at Texas Tech and Oklahoma State. Then comes a trip to Oklahoma. But you heard it here first: The Cyclones are going to the Big 12 championship game.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It's a very good indicator of how good ISU is or isn't. All I'm saying is that if ISU beats Iowa in Ames, that is a catalyst for them going forward, proving early-on that they are in fact what has been projected them to be. If they lose, the opposite is the case. Obviously, the game itself isn't counted in the B12 standings.

No it doesn't. Not to mention that Campbell traditionally does bad against Iowa.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

First college football season?

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Minnesota, with an abundance of returning experience, will be 8-0 after playing South Dakota State, at Fresno State, Georgia Southern, at Purdue, Illinois, Nebraska, at Rutgers and Maryland. Then comes a visit from Penn State that will draw a lot of attention.
SDSU is the number one ranked FCS school. I wouldn't be so sure Minnesota wins that one and Nebraska will beat them in MSP. Gopher coach is the most annoying in P5 football.

It's a no-brainer to pick ISU in the B12 championship game. We'll have to see how they handle Iowa though.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I went thru each team's schedule a few weeks ago and came up with this. Probably a few details I'd change now, but I'm not going to revise it at this point.

Place-number includes tiebreakers — at least involving head-to-head level (overall regular season in parentheses)
1. Oklahoma 8-1 (10-2)
2. Texas 7-2 (9-3)
3. Iowa State 6-3 (9-3)
4. Oklahoma State 5-4 (7-5)
5. TCU 5-4 (7-5)
6. Baylor 4-5 (7-5)
7. Texas Tech 3-6 (5-7)
8. Kansas State 3-6 (5-7)
9. West Virginia 3-6 (5-7)
10. Kansas 1-8 (3-9)

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: IndyClone15

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Winning the Big 12 is still the ultimate goal, I get it, and while I agree with you, you can not convince me that beating a ranked Iowa team at home game #2 of our season with the possibility of both teams being undefeated and College Gameday coming to Ames for the first time ever isn't huge. A win against Iowa under those circumstances sets the stage for a very special narrative for our season.
Narrative is overrated, especially within Bergstrom's walls. Winning against Iowa by one or losing to Iowa by one, it hardly makes a difference other than for the fan's, and maybe a bit of in-state recruiting. It's going to be a close, physical, gut-check game, and it almost never indicates the true talent of either team, besides showing that neither has blue blood overall talent. See Ferentz's record against McCarney and Chizik. It would be special for the fans and building our national profile if it's on Gameday, (I'd rather have UT so that Iowa fans don't trash Ames more than they already do) but I don't think it makes a great deal of difference on our conference record. Even if we beat Iowa by 14+, UT and OU should be the favorites if they live up to their billing.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I went thru each team's schedule a few weeks ago and came up with this. Probably a few details I'd change now, but I'm not going to revise it at this point.

Place-number includes tiebreakers — at least involving head-to-head level (overall regular season in parentheses)
1. Oklahoma 8-1 (10-2)
2. Texas 7-2 (9-3)
3. Iowa State 6-3 (9-3)
4. Baylor 5-4 (7-5)
5. Oklahoma State 5-4 (7-5)
6. TCU 5-4 (7-5)
7. Texas Tech 3-6 (5-7)
8. Kansas State 3-6 (5-7)
9. West Virginia 2-7 (4-8)
10. Kansas 1-8 (3-9)
The standings are within reason, but I'm curious which terrible non-conference game you have Baylor losing. Also OSU falls at OSU? Possible with a young QB, sure. What non-con does OU lose? Fightin' Chip Kellys?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron