How did you like these officials?

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
At Kansas # Paul Janssen, # Keith Kimble, # Mark Whitehead
At ISU # Tom O'Neill, # Bert Smith, # Mark Whitehead
Those are the officials from 2013. We were talking about 2004 (I think?) under Wayne Morgan.

[video=youtube;QblPO0qijJA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QblPO0qijJA[/video]

Last edited:

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I think they did a really good job. The thing I ask for is consistency and I think we got it. The one thing I didn't like was McGary hanging on the rim. I thought that was absolutely ridiculous.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
We benefited from the conference wanting us to win to increase the conferences' standing and RPI.

When conference play starts things will switch around....

:jimlad: kinda....

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
I think they did a really good job. The thing I ask for is consistency and I think we got it. The one thing I didn't like was McGary hanging on the rim. I thought that was absolutely ridiculous.
I was thinking the same thing. If the refs are going to let them play physical, call it both ways and don't switch it up midway through the game. They did miss a few calls both ways but overall there weren't any horrible calls.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
I thought they did good.... Maybe I was just on cloud 9 at this point but when Ejim banked in that shot and got fouled, in the process did he not get an and 1 free throw???? I don't know if I was spacing out but I thought they went to a tv timeout at the foul and once they came back from the timeout, they gave the ball to Michigan to inbound?

I thought the exact same thing. I said it to my wife. She even heard me.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I was thinking the same thing. If the refs are going to let them play physical, call it both ways and don't switch it up midway through the game. They did miss a few calls both ways but overall there weren't any horrible calls.
Yeah, they stayed out of the way for the most part. There were a few mistakes that I wouldn't expect out of a crew of this caliber but nothing that impacted the game so I'd still say they did a good job overall.

The phantom foul on Niang by Higgins was a pretty bad mistake and I'll bet he kicked himself when he saw the film. Most officials would rather miss a call and have it be an honest mistake than guess and call something that didn't happen.

Sanzere's "and one" on the continuation I thought was pretty weak even though it benefited the good guys.

There was also a play Freddie got pretty upset about in the second half when one of our guys clearly was bumped out of bounds on the baseline and they sucked on it. They had just had an off-ball foul on Michigan a few seconds earlier and caught hell from Beilein and I think they let them get away with one in return but it cost us a possession so we were really the ones who got penalized. He doesn't get bumped, he doesn't go out of bounds, and I think that was the point Freddie was making to the officials at the time. Regardless of what Beilein thought of the previous whistle, that's a call that just has to be made.

But as I said, nothing really game altering either way. Solid B+.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Not sure why people think this game not being fixed has anything to do with all the fixed Big 12 games against KU over the years. Why would I have expected a home game against a non-conf team to be fixed like many games where we push KU hard are fixed?

For all the complaining about officiating (of which I am admittedly a proud leader of), I really only have two situations where I'm certain the officials intentionally try to fix ISU basketball games over the past 20 years I've watched every game. Many of our competitive Big 12 game against Kansas, and many of the games @UNI (Iowa was getting hosed there just as bad before they thankfully kicked UNI to the gutter doing us a favor).

I can forgive the blown calls against OSU and MSU in the NCAA tournament, they were bang-bang plays and we were a road team in both cases. I can't forgive the Big 12 officiating for blatantly fixing games against KU, there are too many cases where it's simply obvious (dead ball 3 pointer, phantom fouls in KU's favor after horrible no calls also in KU's favor). Anyone who can't see it is a moron or using some sort of denial coping mechanism.

Last edited:

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
The refs missed a clear as day foot over the line when we were passing the ball in at the 2:05 mark. That would have been really bad because we were only up 1. They missed calls on both sides but it was even. Very solid game by Hollywood Higgins and crew!

Yeah, I saw that but I couldn't tell if he was on the line or over the line. I always get nervous that that call will be made on an uncontested inbounds play and cost a possession. Was he clearly over the line or just on it? Remember that the line is out of bounds so he has to be over it for it to be a violation.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I can forgive the blown calls against OSU and MSU in the NCAA tournament, they were bang-bang plays and we were a road team in both cases. I can't forgive the Big 12 officiating for blatantly fixing games against KU, there are too many cases where it's simply obvious (dead ball 3 pointer, phantom fouls in KU's favor after horrible no calls also in KU's favor). Anyone who can't see it is a moron or using some sort of denial coping mechanism.

Stupidity is a lot more common than conspiracy.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Stupidity is a lot more common than conspiracy.

Stupidity would mean TCU should expect to score during a dead ball in Big 12 play at some point and have it stand. I just don't think the fact that a marquee non-conf home game has anything to do with KU getting ridiculous favors in league games. The officiating has generally been good in the Iowa/ISU series, I thought our road loss last year was very well officiated, so it's not like I'm blinded by emotion in these things. Who knows how or why it happens with KU, but it does and should be addressed more often when it occurs as it was last year.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Stupidity would mean TCU should expect to score during a dead ball in Big 12 play at some point and have it stand. I just don't think the fact that a marquee non-conf home game has anything to do with KU getting ridiculous favors in league games. The officiating has generally been good in the Iowa/ISU series, I thought our road loss last year was very well officiated, so it's not like I'm blinded by emotion in these things. Who knows how or why it happens with KU, but it does and should be addressed more often when it occurs as it was last year.

If your goal is to fix a game there are a lot more subtle ways to do it than to let one team jack a three on what should have been a dead ball. If you are truly trying to fix a game you don't want to call attention to yourself and what you are doing. Call things tighter for one team, let a foot drag go here and there, only call carrying the ball on one team, call the never called 3 seconds on one team, make sure any 50/50 calls go to one team, but don't make a call that is going to be scrutinized by everyone and has a chance to make SportsCenter.

If you want to talk about that play, let's talk about it. Unfortunately there is no footage of the signal by the official as he is putting the ball in play for the FT's. Based on what we saw it is reasonable to assume that he incorrectly signaled 1 shot or 1 and 1 rather than 2 shots. If he hadn't, why would the entire KU team be on the same page on taking this rebound to the other end? It was a screw up, a screw up that should have been caught by the ISU players or coaches and brought to the attention of the officials. They players weren't paying attention and the coaches were on the other end of the floor so KU took the ball down and scored. Unfortunately the remedy in the rule book is not very good for this type of situation because the defense was unaware and unprepared to adequately defend. I have been ****** off about this for a long time. It sucks, it is inexcusable, but it isn't a conspiracy.

Do I think that marquee teams and talent get a lot of calls? Absolutely. Do I think the officials "intentionally try to fix" games. No. Iowa State's teams in the Horton/Tinsley years got a lot of calls because that was a premiere team in the league as well.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Yeah, I saw that but I couldn't tell if he was on the line or over the line. I always get nervous that that call will be made on an uncontested inbounds play and cost a possession. Was he clearly over the line or just on it? Remember that the line is out of bounds so he has to be over it for it to be a violation.
I saw it live in person and got nervous and when I rewatched the game it sure looked like his foot was over the line. The ref was about 6 feet ahead of him already and didn't even look like he was looking at the inbounds. I'll check it out again after work.

ruxCYtable

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Colorado
I saw it live in person and got nervous and when I rewatched the game it sure looked like his foot was over the line. The ref was about 6 feet ahead of him already and didn't even look like he was looking at the inbounds. I'll check it out again after work.
I just looked at it again. Couldn't tell with 100% certainty on the replay whether it was on or over and really even whether it was on the ground at all, could have just been hovering with the other foot out of bounds. That's a call though they're not going to make unless it is just completely blatant.