How did wrestle-offs turn out today?

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I heard Downey won

I've debated on this for awhile. Whether I should post this or not. F it. This does not surprise me, if true (and I have no reason to doubt the source). Downey is (and has been) better than anyone we have had at any weight he can realistically go.

I debated because I do not want to take anything away from anyone who has wrestled those weights this year, because I haven't been disappointed with anything those guys have done this year.

cattlefeeder

Aug 17, 2012
I'm not following what you're trying to say enis?
Are saying Downing is better than any of our 184 & 197 lbers? Or are you saying he's the best wrestler on the team?

cattlefeeder

Aug 17, 2012
Lets hope he can catch lighting in a bottle. Simalarly to what Ray Brinzer did his first year at Iowa. He sat out the whole year, and came off the shelf to qualify for the National tourney at Big tens. Go Pat go.

enisthemenace

Dec 5, 2009
Runnells, IA
I'm not following what you're trying to say enis?
Are saying Downing is better than any of our 184 & 197 lbers? Or are you saying he's the best wrestler on the team?

84 or 97, at least at this point. Again, I mean this to not take anything away from anyone who has contributed at those weights this year, because they have wrestled hard.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
The only bad thing is he won't be able to earn a bid for the conference. But can he earn an at larger bid if he does not steal a spot?

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
Has he been redshirting or something so far, do you want to pull that now?

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
The only bad thing is he won't be able to earn a bid for the conference. But can he earn an at larger bid if he does not steal a spot?

At 197 Harrington or Downey could be competitive for an at large if they got wins against either of the remaining two matches and end up one short of qualification at Big XIIs. But it would be pretty tenuous. They'd only get it if there were no upsets at 197 around the country.

At 184 it is also technically possible for Downey to meet three of the "bronze" criteria but way less likely. He could get qualifying event placement one below automatic qualification, a win over someone who was an automatic qualifier, and a ranking in the final coaches poll. But... in order to get those last two he'd probably have to place no lower than 3rd at Big XIIs, which would give him a spot automatically anyway. So it is very unlikely that Downey could do well enough to be considered for an at large but poorly enough to need one.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
Has he been redshirting or something so far, do you want to pull that now?

if he had a redshirt, it was used against UNI already. But at his age, I think he wants to compete and get college done and move on

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Reminder about at large criteria. Assuming 3 matches at Big XIIs both Downey and Harrington will be eligible for a ranking in the final coaches panel.

Secondary Criteria

On March 9, wrestlers in each weight class will receive an updated Win %, RPI and coaches’ ranking that includes all competition through the qualifying events. Wrestlers who meet or exceed any two of the following criteria will be labeled
“Bronze Standardâ€:

• .700 Win %
  • Top 33 RPI
  • Top 33 CR
  • .700 winning percentage against all competition
  • One win against a wrestler receiving automatic qualification via an earned position (pre-allocated)
  • Qualifying event placement one below automatic qualification
Only Bronze Standard wrestlers will be eligible for selection as at-large qualifiers. A wrestler must have participated in his respective conference or regional qualifying tournament in order to be considered for at-large selection to the championships. The NCAA Wrestling Committee will use the following weighted criteria, in priority order, to evaluate the Bronze Standard wrestlers:

• Head-to-head competition — 25 percent
  • Quality wins — 20 percent
  • CR — 15 percent
  • Results against common opponents — 10 percent
  • RPI — 10 percent
  • Qualifying event placement — 10 percent
  • Win % — 10 percent

HGoat

Dec 18, 2014
Denver, Colorado
His clock was running this year whether or not he took the mat.

Not if he took an Olympic RS, which he would be eligible for since he was a Junior World finalist. He may not have filed for one but if he wanted an Olympic RS he would get one.

buf87

Dec 15, 2010
Iowa
I think that was Downey's original plan, but most thought 184 was going to be a real weak weight for us. Might have done things different if they knew the lingering injury, Dane unexpected results and the problems with the degree at Iowa Central.

cywr89

May 14, 2009
Downing did not qualify for an Olympic RS and already took his RS. His clock is running so there is no benefit for him to not wrestle. After hearing the coaches talk about the situation I get the feeling if Downing does not have any hiccups in his performance the last two duals or aggravates his injury, he will be the guy at Nationals. ISU goal is not to qualify as many wrestlers as they can but to win medals. If Pestano and Downing both wrestle to their potential, Downing has a much better chance on being an AA.

157 is in interesting as RSR is much more explosive wrestler but Logan more of a grinder. Hopefully, the competition will make both of them better down the road as both could be major contributors in the line-up next season.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
Downing did not qualify for an Olympic RS and already took his RS. His clock is running so there is no benefit for him to not wrestle. After hearing the coaches talk about the situation I get the feeling if Downing does not have any hiccups in his performance the last two duals or aggravates his injury, he will be the guy at Nationals. ISU goal is not to qualify as many wrestlers as they can but to win medals. If Pestano and Downing both wrestle to their potential, Downing has a much better chance on being an AA.

Yeah, that's why I'm fine with them rolling the dice on Downey. Best case scenario for Dane is he scores us 1 or 1.5 points at NCAAs and more likely he scores 0 or 0.5. So even if Downey crashes and burns it doesn't cost us a lot teamwise and there's a chance he could make a run.

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
Not if he took an Olympic RS, which he would be eligible for since he was a Junior World finalist. He may not have filed for one but if he wanted an Olympic RS he would get one.

You are correct. In fact, due to the duration of his injury; the delay in matriculation and in athletic eligibility as a result of the AA degree transfer requirement; the lack in quantity of quality matches that he won't have before the Big XIIs and the Nationals; I, therefore, suggested that he at least consider the Olympic RS. After all, he was one of only three collegiates to earn it; and, under the circumstances, I thought it deserved consideration. Incidentally, he won the wrestle-off 11-3. He's been back only a couple of weeks and had to lose 24 lbs to make 184. He's previously beaten 9 of the top 11 ranked 184s. Once his body adjusts, he'll be a hammer at 184. He's honored to be a part of the Cyclone family.

Last edited:

PD2

Feb 14, 2016
Baltimore, MD
At 197 Harrington or Downey could be competitive for an at large if they got wins against either of the remaining two matches and end up one short of qualification at Big XIIs. But it would be pretty tenuous. They'd only get it if there were no upsets at 197 around the country.

At 184 it is also technically possible for Downey to meet three of the "bronze" criteria but way less likely. He could get qualifying event placement one below automatic qualification, a win over someone who was an automatic qualifier, and a ranking in the final coaches poll. But... in order to get those last two he'd probably have to place no lower than 3rd at Big XIIs, which would give him a spot automatically anyway. So it is very unlikely that Downey could do well enough to be considered for an at large but poorly enough to need one.

"very unlikely"...really? He may just surprise you and win the Big XIIs.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron