how are you becoming your parents?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
have threatened to toss him out into snow or water. Told DH I'd give him free to a good or even mediocre home some days. Threenagers man. Yesterday he followed me around crying that his bubbles were gone (from rinsing hands). Followed me into my room then tried to kick me out because he "wanted to be lonely". Lol.

The advantage of letting them watch crap TV is the threat of taking it away. Like no more Daniel Tiger until you quit pelting me with Duplos.

Reactions: cowgirl836

Frog

May 6, 2021
Most telling for me is that I am starting to repeat certain stories my family has already heard and knows. They let me tell it again anyway like I did with my grandpa and do with my dad.

Reactions: carvers4math

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Most telling for me is that I am starting to repeat certain stories my family has already heard and knows. They let me tell it again anyway like I did with my grandpa and do with my dad.

My husband does this, and sometimes he even mentions that he knows he told me it before, and proceeds to tell me again for 15 minutes.

• Funny
Reactions: BirdOfWar

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Every time I have a sore joint, I instantly blame it on the weather and 'must be a front coming through'

Stalking my daughter around the house turning off lights.

Internally complaining about how no one could possibly need WiFi on appliances (washer, dishwasher, etc) while at the same time using the WiFi on appliances all the time.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I've always been like my Dad, but now as I get older, it's more appropriate.

BTW, I love those commercials, though I can barely remember what product they are trying to sell me.

TexCyted

Oct 30, 2018
DFW
I pack a cooler with sandwiches, snacks and drinks on road trips with the kids. I do this to save money and time on stops. I tell my family it is health related. I am lying, I am really just cheap and try to save every minute I can.

Beernuts

Nov 9, 2017
My dad had us all playing cribbage by the time we were five. Really develops the math skills. When I had the chicken pox, he probably played a dozen cribbage games a day with me.
This is something all young parents should know and utilize. Teach your kids card games / cribbage etc. at a young age. Always have a deck of cards by the kitchen table. You are absolutely right about how it develops math skills that helps the kids throughout school.

Reactions: carvers4math

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
This is something all young parents should know and utilize. Teach your kids card games / cribbage etc. at a young age. Always have a deck of cards by the kitchen table. You are absolutely right about how it develops math skills that helps the kids throughout school.

We played liars poker at bars across town. Gambling with local drunks does help develop all kinds of skills.

Learned pretty early how to project an image, play the odds, and read a room. The kid won more than he lost.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Other than ranting about politics, I've become my dad in every way shape and form. I actually consider that to be a good thing.

My wife would say more or less the same about me. I work with my dad so I'm very aware of our differences on a daily basis, but I frequently get accused of having mostly turned into him, usually by my wife and my dad's wife.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa

My parents had us playing cards young, and we all loved to play Yahtzee.

I now love poker and dice games. Probably a little too much.

So be careful . . .

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
The other one that comes to mind for me is mixing up my kid's names. I remember as a kid never being able to figure out why a parent or grandparent would call you by your siblings name. Now I usually cycle through 3/4ths of my kids' name before landing on the right one.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
My parents hated Progressive commercials.... so do I. The liberty Mutual commercials are still the worst.

• Agree
Reactions: Neptune78