How about Clark and Wesley switching positions?

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I wonder if it would be better for those guys to switch positions and have Clark be the 2 and Johnson be the 3. Wesley is a good rebounder and is a little slow to be guarding a shooting guard. Maybe its too late in the year to do that. What do you guys think?

Locke

Dec 20, 2007
Re: Clark and Wesley switching positions?

The way you worded the title of this thread, it seemed like what you want to happen was actually in the works.

Misleading, but interesting.

First of all, the 2 and 3 are already interchangable in the offense, and Clark continiously guards the opponents best shooter.

I would also like to see WJ back in the painbt some more, but with his foot, I can't say hwne this could occur.

Balls

Mar 23, 2006
Iowa
I too think Wesley may be more effective closer to the rim. I think his athleticism takes over and he's able to just "play" basketball.

Hard to tell however how much his injury is still effecting him. It may also be mental as some players after an injury have a hard time just playing again without worry of additional injury.

Ames

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 5, 2006
I love Clark and while he has improved his dribbling a lot it's not something we want to see a lot of.

Kyle

Mar 30, 2006
What position they play on offense need not correspond to who they guard on defense.

MJAnderson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2007
I think he is just fine at the 2 position. Like an earlier post stated the 2 isn't much different than the 3 offensively and Clark is already guarding their best player. I think we will see Wesely improve his rebounding, defense, and aggressiveness towards the rim as his foot heals and he gains confidence in it.

Although I think the 2 is the position for him I would like to see him play the 4 from time to time.

ISUSTENS

Apr 13, 2007
I wonder if it would be better for those guys to switch positions and have Clark be the 2 and Johnson be the 3. Wesley is a good rebounder and is a little slow to be guarding a shooting guard. Maybe its too late in the year to do that. What do you guys think?
I think that they are doing a good job this year at their positions. They one on the road to Oregon State and beat Iowa at home

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
The only advantage I see is getting Wesley used to playing the forward role. He's going to be our 3 for the next two years so maybe hone his skills now and put Clark in the 2 spot.

flander1649

Apr 20, 2006
Kansas City
Visit site
I think he is just fine at the 2 position. Like an earlier post stated the 2 isn't much different than the 3 offensively and Clark is already guarding their best player. I think we will see Wesely improve his rebounding, defense, and aggressiveness towards the rim as his foot heals and he gains confidence in it.

Although I think the 2 is the position for him I would like to see him play the 4 from time to time.

I agree with this the 2 and 3 are very similar and I think once Johnson's foot is fully healed you will see him getting a lot more rebounds

khaal53

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Not only are the 2-3 very similar, they are basically the exact same position. You aren't going to have three guys posting up around the hoop on offense, it would obviously create too much congestion. Any posting up you would see from these two would be resulting from who is gaurding them more than if they are the 2 or the 3.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Clark can't play a "true" 2 because he can't drible that well. I think both his ball handling and 3 point shooting look improved so far but he's too athletic to be playing away from the basket or handling the ball more. I think what we need to do maybe take WJ out early then bring him in when Clark comes out. I'd rather have them both on the floor but right now we have to work with the cards we are dealt. Next year I'm guessing WJ moves to the 3 and Staiger is at the 2.

MJAnderson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2007
I think next year will be interesting. I still think we will see some 2 out of Wesely. From what I've heard Lucca has a little work to do on his ball handling so maybe he'll play some 3? Either way it really doesn't matter because these positions are very similar, however we are going to have to have somebody match the defensive intensity that Clark is giving us right now.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

I'm sorry, but I can't agree. He already knows how to play the 4, and isn't best suited there. If healthy, he really needs all the court time he can get to adapt to playing on the wing, both for later in the season, and next year. Not to mention where he'll be playing in the pros.

MJAnderson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 16, 2007
I'm sorry, but I can't agree. He already knows how to play the 4, and isn't best suited there. If healthy, he really needs all the court time he can get to adapt to playing on the wing, both for later in the season, and next year. Not to mention where he'll be playing in the pros.

I agree the 2 and 3 are his main strengths and thats where I think he will mostly play. I was just thinking he might play some 4 in some instances? Maybe if our bigs are in foul trouble or for some reason we decide to go with a smaller faster lineup. I don't know...just a thought.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron