How a HS Career Translates to College

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Hey guys,

Recently, I have seen A LOT of discussion invade many threads comparing a high school to future college success. The big one is the debate between Xavier Foster and Bowen Born. Both are fantastic players (at least in high school), but one is seemingly leading his team to the state championship while the other is already out before he even got to Des Moines.

You'd think that the one leading his team to a State Title is the best in the state, but he is not. He's a two-star committed to a mid major. The other is the best player from Iowa since Harrison Barnes (don't @ me with Weiskamp crap).

I remember watching tape of Carson Schleker, Darius Lee-Campbell and Jakolby Long and thinking they were going to be All-Timers to put on the Cardinal and Gold, while I thought others like Willie Harvey and Naz Long would be wastes of scholarships.

So I want to ask you guys. How much does the HS Career matter?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Career doesn't matter vs. the skillset and other attributes that fit to what works for the program.

Robert Gallery was maybe the best example of this. He really didn't have a position to elite in high school but had the frame and speed, and with the right situation, was a very good college player.

Some are just late bloomers too.

cyups2323

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
My opinion isn't a popular one on here but i feel we made a mistake not taking bowen born. I know he is small but we currently have a roster full of people 3 to 5 inches taller who can't shoot. I have watched player after player miss wide open 3s all year and I'm tired of it. Get me scorers please.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
Hey guys,

Recently, I have seen A LOT of discussion invade many threads comparing a high school to future college success. The big one is the debate between Xavier Foster and Bowen Born. Both are fantastic players (at least in high school), but one is seemingly leading his team to the state championship while the other is already out before he even got to Des Moines.

You'd think that the one leading his team to a State Title is the best in the state, but he is not. He's a two-star committed to a mid major. The other is the best player from Iowa since Harrison Barnes (don't @ me with Weiskamp crap).

I remember watching tape of Carson Schleker, Darius Lee-Campbell and Jakolby Long and thinking they were going to be All-Timers to put on the Cardinal and Gold, while I thought others like Willie Harvey and Naz Long would be wastes of scholarships.

This is why coaches get paid the big bucks. It really does cut both ways. There are many kids that we probably overvalue their potential while failing to look at their success. There's also kids who we probably discount their success because we feel they lack potential. I'm not sure there's a right answer.

Javinegli

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2013
Des Moines, IA
It really depends on the situation. Some kids have more confidence and perform better against inferior competition. Other's don't feel like they are challenged and play down to the competition.
High School vs college careers can be very different. These same players also have much different roles now vs college. There are plenty of factors and I've seen future professional players dominate high school. I've also seen them play their role and not be super successful, only for them to grow into the player they are now.

Cytown12

Mar 11, 2012
Des Moines,IA
Hey guys,

You forgot about Marcus Paige

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Every person is different.

Some thrive against weaker competition and fade once they face better players.
Some thrive against weaker competition and maintain their tenacity against better players.
Some need stronger competition to bring out their potential.
Some max out their potential in high school and never amount to anything.
Some need college to max out their potential.

The percentages of success are going to favor higher ranked players due to talent level and measurables. They exist for a reason. Conversely, outliers happen all the time, just in low volume.

If we're going to paint, it's easier to cover more with a broad brush. But in the end, it still comes down to the individual.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
HS bball means almost nothing, summer ball is more important but none are that big a deal. It's still about potential, size and athleticism. The other thing becoming even more of a reality is how little college ball matters. All of these are just vehicles to get players to pro ball. Lindell and Tyler Cook leaving school seemed kind of odd but its just part of a new trend. There is almost no reason for anyone to ever play 4 years of college ball. If you aren't already on draft boards by the time you're a jr, you're better off just going to the g league to prove yourself. I think this is the attitude of a lot of younger players, Xavier Foster being one of them.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
HS bball means almost nothing, summer ball is more important but none are that big a deal. It's still about potential, size and athleticism. The other thing becoming even more of a reality is how little college ball matters. All of these are just vehicles to get players to pro ball. Lindell and Tyler Cook leaving school seemed kind of odd but its just part of a new trend. There is almost no reason for anyone to ever play 4 years of college ball. If you aren't already on draft boards by the time you're a jr, you're better off just going to the g league to prove yourself. I think this is the attitude of a lot of younger players, Xavier Foster being one of them.
And the bigger the G-League gets the worse college basketball is going to be, until they change the NCAA rules about leaving.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron