Houston, Cincy, and UCF set to join the Big 12 in 2023-24 season

Hoggins

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 2, 2019
I've always disliked that those two schools got a neutral site game every freaking year, thus taking away a true road game for them. It really was such an advantage for them too.

The rest of our conference mates need to get together and make their life/scheduling as ****** as they can for these freaking traitors.

Also, the first line of business our new commissioner, whomever it will be, needs to announce that when we have the 4 new members, we as a conference will only be playing 8 conference games just like the SEC does now. We will only switch to 9 conference games when they make the change as well. Until then, it is NOT a level playing field for the P6. Call out the BS scheduling the SEC has been doing for years and benefiting from it.

PPS. UCF needs to change their name back to Florida Tech. Directional Florida name school sounds like ****. (Just my two cents. * I would have rather had Memphis and all the FedEx money instead.)

At the least they need to change the mascot back to Citronaut. Such a cool name. Florida Tech Citronaut

Clonedogg

Sep 4, 2009
CR, IA
biblehub.com
I've always disliked that those two schools got a neutral site game every freaking year, thus taking away a true road game for them. It really was such an advantage for them too.

The rest of our conference mates need to get together and make their life/scheduling as ****** as they can for these freaking traitors.

Also, the first line of business our new commissioner, whomever it will be, needs to announce that when we have the 4 new members, we as a conference will only be playing 8 conference games just like the SEC does now. We will only switch to 9 conference games when they make the change as well. Until then, it is NOT a level playing field for the P6. Call out the BS scheduling the SEC has been doing for years and benefiting from it.

PPS. UCF needs to change their name back to Florida Tech. Directional Florida name school sounds like ****. (Just my two cents. * I would have rather had Memphis and all the FedEx money instead.)
I like the sound of Florida Tech better too, but I think another school has since taken on that name.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010

They also lost a home game. I don’t think it was a material advantage.

UCF was a far better pickup than Memphis. I’d go USF over Memphis. There’s far more head room for another major college sports program in FL than that part of Tennessee.

Florida Tech is now in use. No one will blink at UCF or USF in a decade.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Great research and writing here. Cincinnati will be the furthest north the conference has expanded. I guess it is true if you only look at teams that have joined since 1996.

1651597594950.png
1651597615682.png

• Funny
Reactions: JHUNSY

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
For 2025 and beyond. Move to the pod system. "9th" conference football game is a playoff with another pod to determine who goes to the Big 12 championship game. You get to sell a 2 round playoff to the TV networks. $$$$$$$

4 pods:

1 - ISU, KU, KSU
2 - BU, BYU, TCU
3 - WV, Cincy, UCF,
4 - Tech, UH, OSU

Football: (8 games with the 9th being apart of a two round playoff)
Guaranteed game against everyone in your pod every season (1 Home and 1 Away game)
Rotating set of pods every year (ISU plays pods 2-3, then 3-4 next year). Makes scheduling SOOO easy.
What used to be the final week of the regular season, the Big 12 will start it's "playoff"
#1 seed from every pod plays the other #1 seed. Seeding of the #1 seeds can be based on whatever poll or metric is relevant for the CFP. Using 2021 football season results for an example to rank #1's: (Cincy plays ISU and BU plays OSU). Can it get more fair?

Basketball: (19 games plus a playoff start for 20)
Guaranteed home and away games against your pod
Play everyone once (Every other year you play home or away)
Like football, you play a rotating set of 2 pods every year
The 20th game for conference play is a playoff to determine seeding for the tournament in KC
Top seeds from every pod get a bye in round 1

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
For 2025 and beyond. Move to the pod system. "9th" conference football game is a playoff with another pod to determine who goes to the Big 12 championship game. You get to sell a 2 round playoff to the TV networks. $$$$$$$

4 pods:

1 - ISU, KU, KSU
2 - BU, BYU, TCU
3 - WV, Cincy, UCF,
4 - Tech, UH, OSU

Football: (8 games with the 9th being apart of a two round playoff)
Guaranteed game against everyone in your pod every season (1 Home and 1 Away game)
Rotating set of pods every year (ISU plays pods 2-3, then 3-4 next year). Makes scheduling SOOO easy.
What used to be the final week of the regular season, the Big 12 will start it's "playoff"
#1 seed from every pod plays the other #1 seed. Seeding of the #1 seeds can be based on whatever poll or metric is relevant for the CFP. Using 2021 football season results for an example to rank #1's: (Cincy plays ISU and BU plays OSU). Can it get more fair?

Basketball: (19 games plus a playoff start for 20)
Guaranteed home and away games against your pod
Play everyone once (Every other year you play home or away)
Like football, you play a rotating set of 2 pods every year
The 20th game for conference play is a playoff to determine seeding for the tournament in KC
Top seeds from every pod get a bye in round 1
This actually becomes pretty elegant when each pod member plays the other teams in their pod and all of the teams in two other pods. Then the 9th game for each team is a matchup with the corresponding finisher in the 4th pod they didn't play - 1st plays 1st, 2nd plays 2nd, 3rd plays 3rd. The winners of the 1 v. 1 games go to the championship game. Rotate the pods you play each year and of course the 9th game matchups.

I like it, but only if going back to 8 conference games goes away. I still think if the SEC and ACC can get away with it the Big 12 should as well.

Reactions: cycfan1

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Hope UCF can still keep their War on I-4 game but not sure how many conference games there are going to be
I’d love for them to get UF or FSU from hiding from them. The bowl game was great drama with genuine dislike between the players, and did very well in the ratings.

They are not the favorite team of many in Florida, but they are relevant. That only goes up once in the Big 12, especially if they get some games against OUT. But keeping USF and playing other FL teams important.

My guess is eventually they’ll be in a Big 12 East with WVU, Cincy, and ACC leftovers, perhaps USF.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
This actually becomes pretty elegant when each pod member plays the other teams in their pod and all of the teams in two other pods. Then the 9th game for each team is a matchup with the corresponding finisher in the 4th pod they didn't play - 1st plays 1st, 2nd plays 2nd, 3rd plays 3rd. The winners of the 1 v. 1 games go to the championship game. Rotate the pods you play each year and of course the 9th game matchups.

I like it, but only if going back to 8 conference games goes away. I still think if the SEC and ACC can get away with it the Big 12 should as well.

I think the Big 12 has to be different. Having a 2 semi-final games and a conference championship game could REALLY drive eyeballs to the conference.

Especially when you are competing against the Iron Bowl and Michigan/OSU in that final week. You sell conference semi-finals versus regular season game. Fox will put the Big 10 at 11. That's fine. Start the first semi-final at 3:00. Then start the second one at 7:30.

You could even sell the right for the pod semi-finals to the Chiefs stadium, Jerry World, Texans stadium if you are REALLY desperate for $$

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Hope UCF can still keep their War on I-4 game but not sure how many conference games there are going to be

The real question in my mind is:
do you have 9 conf games to max your inventory and thus TV contracts? Or do you go with 8 conf games and try to max out on wins to raise the profile of the conference as "good"?

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Great research and writing here. Cincinnati will be the furthest north the conference has expanded. I guess it is true if you only look at teams that have joined since 1996.

View attachment 98483
View attachment 98484

Guess it’s “expanded” and what they mean by “Big XII” there. You’re right, technically the Missouri Valley (eventually Big 6/Big 8/Big XII) “expanded” north to include Iowa State in 1908, but I guess nobody counts that as “Big XII.”

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
do you have 9 conf games to max your inventory and thus TV contracts? Or do you go with 8 conf games and try to max out on wins to raise the profile of the conference as "good"?
8. Especially if other conferences are at 8.

Is there a difference between trying to compete with P2 making $71 million if the B12 makes whatever plus a couple million a year more , but also more losses?

We need to embrace the Boise St/UCF model. Win as a conference as many games as possible, regardless of competition. We won’t get the benefit of doubt either way

• Agree
Reactions: WalkingCY

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006

10-team round robin (9 conf games)
each team plays 2 home non-con games
minus 1 member-retained home game
55 games available for broadcast

12-team / 9-game conference schedule
each team plays 2 home non-con games
66 games available for broadcast

12-team / 8-game conference schedule
each team plays 3 home non-con games
72 games available for broadcast

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com

8. Give cellar dwellers like Kansas an easier path to bowl eligibility. More bowl eligible teams = more money.

Reactions: heitclone

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
8. Give cellar dwellers like Kansas an easier path to bowl eligibility. More bowl eligible teams = more money.
Honestly if KU were to play 10 games against UT and I put the O/U wins at 2.5, what's everyone going to choose?