Houston, Cincy, and UCF set to join the Big 12 in 2023-24 season

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Son went to grad school there. He was on an assistantship but college wanted him to change residency immediately since they were paying his tuition. FL likes to get visitors to pay for everything
My mind might not be working properly (long day) but what is an assistantship?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
He worked for a professor in his lab, so every term he was either a research assistant or teaching assistant. Paid somewhere around $28,000 a year, I think he got raises of that high wage lol. They also paid his tuition and fees.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
USF, the University of South Florida Bulls. I think since they started doing a trophy, UCF has won all five times.
Go back to 2005 and it would be surprising to learn that UCF is dominant and getting the P5 invite. At that time USF was on their way to the Big East, and blocking their little brother from getting an invite

Do to the sheer size of the universities in what’s basically one huge college football market, it’s a real rivalry in Florida. It the ACC loses schools, USF will either be in the ACC, or in the Big 12 East imo

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
graduate assistantships are a "salary" for graduate education. depends on the school but somewhere from 15k to 30k is fairly common. the universities usually pay all tuition and or fees. they do not usually pay health insurance. Graduate students are expected to work in their advisors lab for 20 hours per week. some advisors push this harder than others. the other 20+ hours per week should be spent on the research project.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Yes, that's the tuition, but full cost of attendance for the year is between $21-$22k. Just posting the tuition is misleading, doesn't include all the additional mandatory fees and apparently assumes student will live in his/her car.

He specifically says tuition in the chart though and that's what he listed.

Full cost of attendance is always much higher and would be everywhere.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
He specifically says tuition in the chart though and that's what he listed.

Full cost of attendance is always much higher and would be everywhere.
I know, that's what I meant as being misleading, not the poster verifying the figure. Should've been more clear. The chart/graphic that lists tuition is misleading because tuition is less than half of what it actually costs to attend in a given year for most students.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
I know, that's what I meant as being misleading, not the poster verifying the figure. Should've been more clear. The chart/graphic that lists tuition is misleading because tuition is less than half of what it actually costs to attend in a given year for most students.

Obviously it is. Pretty much everybody on this board probably went to ISU or some other college, we know. I highly doubt the guy was too heavily invested in properly displaying the exact cost of attendance for each university considering one column was basically to dig UT.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
graduate assistantships are a "salary" for graduate education. depends on the school but somewhere from 15k to 30k is fairly common. the universities usually pay all tuition and or fees. they do not usually pay health insurance. Graduate students are expected to work in their advisors lab for 20 hours per week. some advisors push this harder than others. the other 20+ hours per week should be spent on the research project.
Yep, son did get health insurance. Downside is they lengthen time it takes to get dissertation done by research work that funds the lab. He had two separate defense projects that consumed all of his time for months.

JStanz51

Sep 24, 2013
Ames, IA
LOL! No offense CYCLNST8, but the emoji here is an embarrassment.

It's come to their attention before.

Not sure what it takes to get CF attention. @JStanz51 , @ChrisMWilliams

We are in the 21st century, right?

Edit: "an embarassment"
I'll send an email to the developers today. Not my area. I'll make sure to relay that t-noah says they should be embarrassed.

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
Yep, son did get health insurance. Downside is they lengthen time it takes to get dissertation done by research work that funds the lab. He had two separate defense projects that were consumed all of his time for months.
Yeah. the work requirement is very much depending on the advisor. Both my graduate school advisors were great. i only have to help them when they needed it in the field. never meaningless busy work

Reactions: carvers4math