House of the Dragon

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
The show finally hit its stride this week. I’m all in.

I wouldn’t mind Daemon burning all the greens down.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
By the trailer for next week's episode, it looks like we're getting another time jump of a few years. Maybe 5 or so. Enough for the kids to be more or less adults.

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
By the trailer for next week's episode, it looks like we're getting another time jump of a few years. Maybe 5 or so. Enough for the kids to be more or less adults.

Good. Because now things can get really interesting.

The story is nicely built up so these conflicts will really mean something/matter.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Good. Because now things can get really interesting.

The story is nicely built up so these conflicts will really mean something/matter.
Agreed. There had to be a lot of table setting in order to add weight to the story they want to tell. It's been a slow burn, but they've established some deep seated enmity.

It's why when previously, there was talk about the Crabfeeder, and why he didn't get much elaboration, it's because he's fairly immaterial to the story being told. He establishes the relationship between Daemon and the Sea Snake. He gives color to the deterioration of the bond between Daemon and the king. His role was as a plot device to lay groundwork, not as a big bad.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
Kind of find it hard to root for anybody in this show. Doesn't really have any heroic or sympathetic figures.
Rhaenyra/Harwin/Laenor's sons haven't had exactly had an ideal upbringing lol.

Also, Daemon/Laena's daughters.

Viserys is clearly still not over his wife's death and is struggling to stay alive. He wants to be a jolly grandfather but his family is on the brink of civil war. He's not the wisest/strongest leader, but he has kept the realm peaceful.

Rhaenys Velarion has now been passed over as heir due to her gender, lost two children, and is at odds with her husband about what life is about (family or legacy).

Aemond has been bullied by his ******* older brother and his cousins.

The war hasn't even begun. Everyone asking to get to know the characters better must want ten seasons. This is basically prologue. We have another time jump next week.

Last edited:

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006

On a note related to the kids, IMO that was quite the turn for Aemond; goes from being a kid that I initially felt some sympathy and empathy for; no dragon, picked on by his idiot older brother, looks to be a loner and lonely, to becoming an arrogant bully all because of his getting the biggest, baddest dragon in all of Westeros (which was a really cool scene).

That fight between all the kids was 'effin brutal as well. Even for GoT standards, since they were kids I was still a bit astonished by just how violent it was.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
On a note related to the kids, IMO that was quite the turn for Aemond; goes from being a kid that I initially felt some sympathy and empathy for; no dragon, picked on by his idiot older brother, looks to be a loner and lonely, to becoming an arrogant bully all because of his getting the biggest, baddest dragon in all of Westeros (which was a really cool scene).

That fight between all the kids was 'effin brutal as well. Even for GoT standards, since they were kids I was still a bit astonished by just how violent it was.

Wouldn't that make anyone arrogrant, but especially a young loner who has been bullied?

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
Rhaenyra/Harwin/Laenor's sons haven't had exactly had an ideal upbringing lol.

Also, Daemon/Laena's daughters.

Viserys is clearly still not over his wife's death and is struggling to stay alive. He wants to be a jolly grandfather but his family is on the brink of civil war. He's not the wisest/strongest leader, but he has kept the realm peaceful.

Aemond has been bullied by his ******* older brother and his cousins.

The war hasn't even begun. Everyone asking to get to know the characters better must want ten seasons. This is basically prologue. We have another time jump next week.
I think we need to get to know the characters well enough to care if they get killed off, ie the GoT style anyways.

simply1

Rec Center HOF
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 10, 2009
Pdx
There will be plenty of more impactful deaths to come, I suspect.
My point is if we don’t get to know the characters, are they really impactful? Of course there will be some big deaths, which is why the character development is necessary.

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Wouldn't that make anyone arrogrant, but especially a young loner who has been bullied?

Yep; I think that's a fair assessment.

I do hope that they make the "kid" characters a bit more multi-faceted going forward. I would be disappointed if Aemond is now just straight up evil in the rest of the series.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
I think we need to get to know the characters well enough to care if they get killed off, ie the GoT style anyways.

It'll be interesting with seeing these characters as kids and aging and how that affects the reaction to being killed off. With GOT, there were a few characters that were killed off after introducing them as children, but I think that made their death more impactful. Rickon, for example, was a minor character but his death was a big moment because we got to know him as a child.