Hot Tub

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I've been thinking of getting a hot tub. I've read some stuff online but there is so much out there that its confusing as hell. Anyone have recommendations/suggestions/etc?

A few of my questions are:
1. There are SO many brands out there. Is there a big difference between the low price brands and high priced brands?
2. Should I buy new? There seems to be a pretty good discount by buying used but not sure that's the best route.
3. Any key features I should get?
4. Is there a "best" time to buy one? They are all over the state fair but I've heard there are much better deals out there.
5. Any recommendations?

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
I had a hot tub growing up and never used it. It ran great, just never really used it for some reason. I guess I just don't see the point. The only reason I ever got in it was to drink beer with girls. Wait a second..... maybe I should get a hot tub.

dtclones

Sep 15, 2009
Des Moines
Make sure you are actually going to use it enough to make it worth the trouble. My roommate and I have one and we maybe used it once or twice over the winter. In the meantime, it just used up energy and jacked up our utility bill. It pretty much syphoned money out of my pocket for no reason. They are cool to have as long as you make the most of it.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
I know from advice that Hot Springs are the best.

We're looking at getting one this year so I hope some peeps answer your other questions cause I'm curious too

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
I used to own one that I got at Hot Springs. There was nothing wrong with it, but after a year or so it just didn't get used much and the maintenance on it became aggravating. Ended up selling it after owning it for 2 years.
I wouldn't get one myself, but you live and learn.

brianhos

Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 1, 2006
Trenchtown
How much do hot springs or sundances cost? We have been looking at getting one, but I wanted unbiased info on the actual costs and how much it costs a month to run it?

Clonepackof1

Jan 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids
As mentioned earlier, make sure you are going to be dedicated to using it because cost of ownership is not zero. We actually drain ours for the late spring and summer because we know we won't use it. And no matter what you get, just plan on spending a couple hundred bucks every couple of years for some amount of parts/labor. If it performs better than that, you are money ahead.

Having stated the above, I own a Sundance which is now 12 years old and runs fine. We've put about $500 in parts/labor into it and I'd guess we'll get another year or two out of it before getting a new one. I'd say we are are satisfied.

I also am very familiar with Hot Spring/Caldera (were a client in a former life) and they make great products, probably the most innovative out there.

No matter what you buy, make sure that it can be serviced LOCALLY. If you aren't comfortable with some fairly complex maintenance when something goes bad, the labor will kill you - IF you can find someone who knows your particular tub. Service should be a big consideration.

BigBake

Mar 17, 2006
U'dale
Great advice so far. Thanks.

What's everyone's $.02 on the best time to buy? I'm thinking at the State Fair or at the winter home shows but I have nothing to base that on.

I agree with the Craigslist advice but I hesitate to buy something private/used that could be so troublesome mechanically.

balken

Apr 14, 2006
I've been thinking of getting a hot tub. I've read some stuff online but there is so much out there that its confusing as hell. Anyone have recommendations/suggestions/etc?

2. Should I buy new? There seems to be a pretty good discount by buying used but not sure that's the best route.

I don't know, but buying a used hot tub strikes me as similar to buying used underwear. Sure, they have been washed and cleaned, but they have still been by someone's (possibly infected) junk.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
In terms of performance, the two important factors are the number of jets, and the size of the pump. (# of amps)

akkeosflomdis

Dec 11, 2021
My wife and I have decided to make the leap into the hot tub arena and I've seen all the stories and fact sheets related to why hot tubs are great but what I can't seem to find is the opposite.

And this may not be the best place to ask but I am struggling with whether I am really a hot tub person.

So ... if you had to compile a list of reasons for a person to NOT buy a hot tub, what would that list look like ?

And then I have 2 questions:

1) Looking back on your purchase, what is the one thing you spent extra money on that you look back on and say, "Well, THAT was a waste of <insert dollar figure>"

2) Looking back on your purchase, what is the one thing that you look back on and say, "Man I wish we had went ahead and spent the extra <insert dollar figure> and gotten <insert item/service>"

Thanks in advance for your help.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
The best day of my life was when we sold our hot tub. Way too much maintenance for what we got out of it. It was a Hot Springs.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
My wife and I have decided to make the leap into the hot tub arena and I've seen all the stories and fact sheets related to why hot tubs are great but what I can't seem to find is the opposite.

And this may not be the best place to ask but I am struggling with whether I am really a hot tub person.

So ... if you had to compile a list of reasons for a person to NOT buy a hot tub, what would that list look like ?

And then I have 2 questions:

1) Looking back on your purchase, what is the one thing you spent extra money on that you look back on and say, "Well, THAT was a waste of <insert dollar figure>"

2) Looking back on your purchase, what is the one thing that you look back on and say, "Man I wish we had went ahead and spent the extra <insert dollar figure> and gotten <insert item/service>"

Thanks in advance for your help.
One that your wife will say, I think I would love to get drunk in this with my hot friends.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron