Horrible Announcing

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

arganbright2

Aug 6, 2006
Did anybody pay attention to how many things were messed up during the telecast today. They had Taufouu's picture on the screen when "Mike Branson" was punting. They mixed up James Smith and Sed Johnson the entire first half (both wear #2). They said Tiller was a redshirt freshman from San Diego. Also, one of the announcers said "despite the Cyclones success, it hasn't translated into momentum in recruiting." I literally muted the game at the 4 minute mark of the 2nd quarter so I don't know what else I missed. NO RESPECT!!!

Last edited:

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Well also one of them yelled, "Horse Collar!!" at the end of the blocked field goal run. I don't know just struck me as an unbiased statement from the announcer.

justcynn

Sep 28, 2009
Cabot, AR
agreed, it was hard to listen to them talk about the blackshirts, make mistakes, no reporting on apparent injuries, etc. Iowa State definitely forced some turnovers and Nebraska had some give aways. My count - Iowa State 6 take aways- Nebraska 2 give aways. Got a little old hearing about how Nebraska was shooting themselves in the foot versus giving credit for a very tenacious defensive effort.

That all said, I am very glad it was on TV and I don't care who the announcers are as long as I get to see the game.

je4cy23

Jul 11, 2009
Des Moines
If they have a roster in front of them can't they see that #2 Johnson is a WR and #2 Smith is a saftey? And they still can't pronounce Arnaud's name. Pathetic.

Feb 20, 2009
agreed, it was hard to listen to them talk about the blackshirts, make mistakes, no reporting on apparent injuries, etc. Iowa State definitely forced some turnovers and Nebraska had some give aways. My count - Iowa State 6 take aways- Nebraska 2 give aways. Got a little old hearing about how Nebraska was shooting themselves in the foot versus giving credit for a very tenacious defensive effort.

That all said, I am very glad it was on TV and I don't care who the announcers are as long as I get to see the game.

Exactly! Can't wait til '12 when we get a new contract!

Reactions: je4cy23

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Did anybody pay attention to how many things were messed up during the telecast today. They had Taufouu's picture on the screen when "Mike Branson" was punting. They mixed up James Smith and Sed Johnson the entire first half (both wear #2). They said Tiller was a redshirt freshman from San Diego. Also, one of the announcers said "despite the Cyclones success, it hasn't translated into momentum in recruiting." I literally muted the game at the 4 minute mark of the 2nd quarter so I don't know what else I missed. NO RESPECT!!!

The announcers aren't responsible for the graphics that are put on the screen, but I did think that Brandter had spent some time in the tanning booth. They said Tiller was from San Antonio, not San Diego. I don't know if that's right, but thats what they said.

TarHeelHawk

Oct 22, 2008
W. Des Moines
Well also one of them yelled, "Horse Collar!!" at the end of the blocked field goal run. I don't know just struck me as an unbiased statement from the announcer.

Besides the fact that it should have been a penalty, you mean? That was pretty blatant, and the officials missed it.

ripvdub

Mar 20, 2006
Iowa
The color announcer is horrible. I had to look him up and see if he was a Nebby graduate or not. Theyve done many ISU games in the past. He is bad, as is the side line ******.

AirWalke

Aug 7, 2006
Des Moines
It was a pretty bad broadcast, but it's a lot harder to notice when your team is constantly recovering fumbles and intercepting passes!

I remember seeing the Brandtner/Taufouu mix-up... my first thought was "Whoa, did Brandtner put on weight?"

mapnerd

Aug 17, 2006
Ames

I heard this too. It just had a feeling of "Teacher! Teacher! Look what he did!". Pretty dumb. I'm glad it didn't turn out to be a penalty.

Trainer

Oct 20, 2009
Besides the fact that it should have been a penalty, you mean? That was pretty blatant, and the officials missed it.

Yes it was, but if were gonna talk about blatant officiating mess ups the ejection was uncalled for. He deserved 15 yards and a first down for actually hitting him. But it was not malicious and therefore did not deserve the ejection.

Reactions: TarHeelHawk

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
Dave Lapham is the same one who said Todd Blythe got "face-raked" against Texas in 2007, and it caused a stir because everyone thought he said "face-raped."

Overall, Lapham isn't too bad.

You guys remember Terry Bowden doing the color in 2005 when we were at Nebraska? He may as well have been wearing a Huskers sweatshirt.