Hope for the D..rewatched the '13 Texas game..gave me much reason for optimism in 14.

Section110

Apr 4, 2014
Re: Hope for the D..rewatched the '13 Texas game..gave me much reason for optimism in

Exactly, By that measurement, every big 12 team should be worried about their defense.

Lol ya okay. Every B12 team didn't didn't lose by the widest scoring margin in conference history. There's a lot of kool-aid in this thread. Actually I wouldn't even call it kool-aid. It's more like really strong jungle juice.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there
Re: Hope for the D..rewatched the '13 Texas game..gave me much reason for optimism in

Lol ya okay. Every B12 team didn't didn't lose by the widest scoring margin in conference history. There's a lot of kool-aid in this thread. Actually I wouldn't even call it kool-aid. It's more like really strong jungle juice.
Like I said, only an idiot.
You do not use such extreme outliers to draw conclusions on the whole. I realize the Big 12 is known to have great offenses, especially compared to a putrid conference like the Big 10, but we will not see an offense like that enough (or at all) for it to matter. By the way, scoring margin is also dependent on your offense.

Last edited:

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there

The Baylor offense only (I Know "Only) racked up about 100 more yards against ISU than they averaged on the season. Our's wasn't the worst performance against their offense last season. I never said I expect ISU to shut anyone down, I honestly expect them to play about the same as last year.

EYEoftheSTORM

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 3, 2009
Ames, Iowa

I'm a firm believer in the best offense is a good defense and vice versa. I think our constant futility on offense contributed to how awful the defense. No rest on D is not a good thing. The closer games we had decent production on offense. KSU, Baylor and OU we couldn't buy a first down. Just my 2 cents...

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

The D was awful before the offense could take the field.
That doesn't mean it's going to be bad this year. There's just no reason to waste lipstick on a pig.

swarthmoreCY

Aug 9, 2008
Here nor there

That doesn't mean it's going to be bad this year. There's just no reason to waste lipstick on a pig.

No one is applying any lipstick in regards to the Baylor game. Our defense against was bad in that game, but our offense was far worse would have made the '85 Bears defense look suspect. 3 drives above 13 yards.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

No one is applying any lipstick in regards to the Baylor game. Our defense against was bad in that game, but our offense was far worse would have made the '85 Bears defense look suspect. 3 drives above 13 yards.

I'm not talking solely about the Baylor game.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA

Couldn't agree more. It started with the UNI game and continued. We ended up last in the league is rushing yards allowed, (and eighth in the league in rushing offense). In other words, on both sides of the ball, we couldn't control the line of scrimmage - we were the ones being pushed around. You have to be able to (1) stop the rush, and (2) rush when you have to. Otherwise it's a replay of last year.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008

Our corners and linebackers are going to be very good this season. Decent experience in both units.

Linebackers? Experience? Wow. Prepare to be disappointed. There is zero experience at linebacker, we barely have enough bodies at that position to field a team let alone say there is any experience.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.

Linebackers? Experience? Wow. Prepare to be disappointed. There is zero experience at linebacker, we barely have enough bodies at that position to field a team let alone say there is any experience.
So...Jared Brackens, Luke Knott and Jevohn Miller have no experience?

Last edited:

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009

You are kidding right?

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN

There are PLENTY of bodies. We are very deep at LB, the challenge will be figuring out which ones are most physically and mentally ready to play when called upon, and that could be tricky for Wally. But at least he can sub if he needs to.

GWad

Aug 22, 2013

The young kids coming in as replacements added to the returning starters on D do not foster optimism except in the most avid kool-aid drinkers.

Not to mention our QB is not named and likely will not have a completion % much above last years.

Ugh. It happens every year at this time.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

I can't see the D being any worse than last year. Only God knows how we were in so many close games last year. If Mangino can help us up our scoring a bit, I think we we can salvage a decent season. Believe it or not, we weren't that far away last year. The breaks went against us. Maybe the breaks work for us this year.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006

well i just watched the texas game its on youtube. wow it was our best offensive performance of the year and I still hated the play calling. thanks mess for ruining everything last year.

seemed like jensen played a lot of snaps maybe i was just assuming every time i saw a white guy on dline it was jensen though? the cb richardson had a great game. tribune played a lot. knott was everywhere. we have 7 returning players that played a lot maybe more cause i am not counting miller cause i didnt watch him much.

offensively the running game was decent; qb richardson and his scrambles for 1st downs bailed us out most of the time. the passing game was largely non-production except one drive in the 1st half and the miracle pass to bundradge for 97 yard td. that guy has some wheels.

i hated our offense last year and blame mess 70% and rhoads 30%. he is starting to become like macarney to me. really hope he gets his act together.

offense lost that game. so we had 2 drives late in the 4th when we are up 3. the first drive we ran twice and threw a screen; then punt. thanks mess way to go out and try to win. or maybe rhoads was involved?

then next drive it was a run here; a scramble; a qb designed run; winberly run to the 4 for 2nd and 1. and then they run wimberly straight up the gut. wow great call not like texas was expecting that or anything. oh and then when we go for the fg rhoads tries to milk more time off the clock when there is 3:43 left; really? you think that is necessary.

oh well; hopefully winning those 2 at end of season; mangino oc era beginning; overhaul of staff gives this program and team an new energy. i think we can do it and have the players to do it; just gotta put it all together.

DuckDynastyCy

Feb 8, 2013
Nashville, TN

The young kids coming in as replacements added to the returning starters on D do not foster optimism except in the most avid kool-aid drinkers.

Not to mention our QB is not named and likely will not have a completion % much above last years.

Ugh. It happens every year at this time.

Unless, of course, the young kids have lots of talent, which they do. But they don't have the experience yet and that counts for a lot. Be Patient Grasshopper.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha

I'm a firm believer in the best offense is a good defense and vice versa. I think our constant futility on offense contributed to how awful the defense. No rest on D is not a good thing. The closer games we had decent production on offense. KSU, Baylor and OU we couldn't buy a first down. Just my 2 cents...
Stats prove your comment.

boyd

Feb 19, 2012

I can't see the D being any worse than last year. Only God knows how we were in so many close games last year. If Mangino can help us up our scoring a bit, I think we we can salvage a decent season. Believe it or not, we weren't that far away last year. The breaks went against us. Maybe the breaks work for us this year.
You are one of a small group of intelligent posters.