Hoops Insider: What will starting 5 look like vs. BYU?

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
I think the starting line up will be fine with either of them. I think at this point naz is more ready then Thomas if we had to count on one shooting well in front of 20,000 crazy BYU fans.

sheepplucker

Sep 22, 2013
plus did anyone notice how many free throws BYU attempted in the last three games. think its like 43-30-43 if this game is called like those we will be going pretty quick to our bench either way.

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
I hate it when football is brought into the basketball forums but I just want to make one recommendation and use an easy example. I hope CFH keeps Thomas in the starting lineup. There is no need to mind f*** him this early in his career like what is happening to our young QBs. I don't want Thomas to feel like he is getting benched. He played just fine the first two games and the other game was against a highly ranked team. I say keep Thomas in the starting lineup.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
plus did anyone notice how many free throws BYU attempted in the last three games. think its like 43-30-43 if this game is called like those we will be going pretty quick to our bench either way.

Interesting stat: ISU's opponents have shot 45. Over 3 games.

That is really something to watch in the game tomorrow.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
I hate it when football is brought into the basketball forums but I just want to make one recommendation and use an easy example. I hope CFH keeps Thomas in the starting lineup. There is no need to mind f*** him this early in his career like what is happening to our young QBs. I don't want Thomas to feel like he is getting benched. He played just fine the first two games and the other game was against a highly ranked team. I say keep Thomas in the starting lineup.

Well Fred has a much better read on this and he's the one making the decision so I wouldn't worry too much.

Besides, who's to say that Thomas wouldn't like coming off the bench? Similar to Morris in that he'll still be a big contributor, but it may take some of the pressure off and open up his shot a little.

I would rather make the move now because there is a natural segue with the fact that Ejim is back. It would be more damaging, if you made the move a couple of weeks from now.

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
Interesting stat: ISU's opponents have shot 45. Over 3 games.

That is really something to watch in the game tomorrow.

Very small sample size obviously, but I think Fred's style of D will play into our favor actually. We've never been a real physical team defensively (and often couldn't be because of our lack of depth in the front court last year).

ChiClones

Jun 11, 2013
Chicagoland
Gotta keep playing Thomas. Even if his shot isn't falling, I've been impressed with his ability to creat his own opportunities.

Maybe an away game is what Thomas needs to find his stroke. You know he'll have a breakout game like Scotty would have every so often. I'm betting he scores double digits Wednesday, which will help everyone else.

BallSoHard4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 20, 2012
Ames
Starters:
Kane
Long
Ejim/Hogue
Niang

Bench:
Thomas/Morris
Edozie
SDW/Bluford
Gibson

i just feel like that's the best lineup possible.

Long just feels eels like the better option with his better shooting so far, defense, and technically more experience. Thomas can be your spark.

gnarlyboy

Oct 20, 2013
Clones open at +6 for tomorrow night. Would not have guessed quite that high. BYU looking solid, and Mich was probably a bit overrated, at least at this point in the season with youth and Mcgary having been inactive.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Clones open at +6 for tomorrow night. Would not have guessed quite that high. BYU looking solid, and Mich was probably a bit overrated, at least at this point in the season with youth and Mcgary having been inactive.

First true road test and 4 of your top 7 contributors have never played significant minutes in a hostile D-1 environment, that's probably fair. I do think that we have a good chance to pull out a win.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm not sure what they give BYU for home court advantage, but that would seem to say that they think BYU would be favored on a neutral court. I'm not buying that.

imnclone

Oct 22, 2006
I was very impressed that he played 37 energetic minutes in the game. I expected Kane to lead us in minutes played, but given that Hogue plays the 3 and backs up the post, if he can stay out of foul trouble I could easily see him averaging 33-34 mpg.

I have also been impressed with Hogue's athleticism and energy. CFH also mentioned he was the only one on the team who did anything against Stauskas. He is the type of player that can keep the Cyclones in a game when they go 6-20 from the 3pt line.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I would start Thomas over Long. Simply because Naz has the mental toughness to be a real spark as the 6th man. Keep in mind that does NOT mean that Long will get fewer minutes because he is not starting. It simply means that he won't be on the floor the first few minutes of the game. Hogue needs to definitely start because we need his leaping ability, rebounding and defense. Another thing to consider is to bring Ejim off the bench like we did last game because it is pre-season. Hell it worked last game pretty good. Pleasant problem to have.

Go2Guy

Mar 18, 2006
Houston, TX
I really like Naz's comments. Good on him.

I love Long's attitude and he's becoming my favorite 'Clone this year. I feel he has earned a starting spot.

"... Now, the fact that I have an opportunity to play at all I am grateful for any type of amount of playing time and any amount that I can contribute whether I am playing or not. Whether I am the sixth-man or whether I am starting, I am going to bring 100 percent no matter what."

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
I love Long's attitude and he's becoming my favorite 'Clone this year. I feel he has earned a starting spot.

"... Now, the fact that I have an opportunity to play at all I am grateful for any type of amount of playing time and any amount that I can contribute whether I am playing or not. Whether I am the sixth-man or whether I am starting, I am going to bring 100 percent no matter what."

Long will play a lot of minutes. Probably more than some starters. No doubt. Think of Tyrus McGee. One of the most valuable Cyclones last year. I can see Naz filling that role and embracing it.

He could be our John Havlicek......possibly the greatest 6th man ever.

cyrocksmypants

Dec 29, 2008
Washington DC
I originally said Long/Thomas/Kane/Ejim/Niang.

After reading that, I'm going Kane/Thomas/Ejim/Hogue/Niang.

I remember there were spurts in the Michigan game where Long came in and just ignited the offense. I think he could do that as a 6th man. Though I'd prefer Hogue coming off the bench, just so you have a big and a small in Morris and Hogue there.

Now, in terms of minutes played, it depends on Ejim. If he's feeling great, top 3 will be Ejim, Hogue, Kane. If he's not, it'll be Kane, Hogue, Long.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron