Hoops Insider: What will starting 5 look like vs. BYU?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
This ^^^
Matt won the starting spot over Long before the season in practice. There is a reason Fred wanted him there and even with Naz good three games I can't see him making a change already. No worries who ever starts Naz and Matt will ~25 minutes each regardless of who is listed as the offical starter. (same for Hogue is he is the one asked to come off the bench.)
Ranking play of players so far from first three games:
Melvin
Kane
Naz
Hogue
Georges
MT/MM
Edzozie
Bluford
PGibson
SDW

Now, if so, who do you start?

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
I think he may start Ejim....but I'm not sure who he will sit to start. BYU has a couple bigs up front (6 10 and 6 11) and apparently they like to run, like ISU does. So, do you start Hogue for rebounding, or do you start Naz for shooting and perimeter defense?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I don't think there is anything wrong with adjusting the starting lineup based on the starting personnel of the team you are facing. Fred is all about identifying and exploiting mismatches. If you have an opportunity to maximize mismatches from the opening tip why wouldn't you? I think a player who doesn't start a particular game who has a concrete team advantage reason spelled out to them should take it pretty well; especially if switching up the starting lineup happens on the team from time to time.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't think there is anything wrong with adjusting the starting lineup based on the starting personnel of the team you are facing. Fred is all about identifying and exploiting mismatches. If you have an opportunity to maximize mismatches from the opening tip why wouldn't you? I think a player who doesn't start a particular game who has a concrete team advantage reason spelled out to them should take it pretty well; especially if switching up the starting lineup happens on the team from time to time.

He hasn't shown a inclination to do that the past 3 years. The only reasons he's changed starting lineups so far is because of injury and suspension or because someone played their way in over the non-conference schedule (Niang). In 2011-12 the same 5 started 28 of the 34 games. In 2010-11 5 players had 29 starts (out of 32 games).

I wouldn't expect him to start doing that now. He'll have his starting lineup, and then make adjustments around the first TV timeout, just like he's always done.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Nothing against Naz as he was one of our 3 best players Sunday night, but reading that quote from him tells me he would embrace the 6th man role and be that huge spark coming in that McGee was last year. I also think Thomas could benefit from staying in the starting lineup to help build his confidence, he hasn't done much to hurt the team and the minutes and experience could help get his shot dropping like it should be

Big "IF" but if we land all our recruiting targets, one of them will be coming off the bench next year even if they make significant improvements. Seems like both are team players and both are good enough they'll get minutes somehow.

Hopefully Ejim/Niang have fixed their fouling issues from last year, but if they haven't I think we'll be going small a ton and there will be plenty of minutes for anybody who can show they're Big 12 ready.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
I would be surprised if Thomas starts. Long has been very good on both ends of the court while Thomas has struggled shooting and is a currently a liability on defense. Nothing against the kid, he just never had to play man defense before, and he has made a lot of progress. Based on everything out there on Thomas he is an amazing shooter, so he might be the perfect off the bench, 3 point guy, like McGee was.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
He hasn't shown a inclination to do that the past 3 years. The only reasons he's changed starting lineups so far is because of injury and suspension or because someone played their way in over the non-conference schedule (Niang). In 2011-12 the same 5 started 28 of the 34 games. In 2010-11 5 players had 29 starts (out of 32 games).

I wouldn't expect him to start doing that now. He'll have his starting lineup, and then make adjustments around the first TV timeout, just like he's always done.

Agreed. I wasn't suggesting he would, only suggesting that it might be the next logical step to his mismatches philosophy.

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
Crazy thought of the day: Melvin off the bench worked pretty good on Sunday...

Yeah, but playing on the road is different. I think we need his experience to get us off to a good start at BYU, so I think he starts.

GoSTATE71

May 19, 2008
Long and Thomas are going to play extended minutes regardless. Matt Thomas hasn't done anything bad and even though he wasn't scoring sunday he also didn't make many mistakes. I think Naz is way too valuable to keep off the floor at this point.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
I would be ok with Fred putting Morris, Kane, Thomas, Naz, Hogue, Ejim, and Niangs name in a hat and drawing the starting lineup before the game. They are all going to see the floor a lot of minutes in different lineups reguardless.

But yeah I'd probably just have Morris and Hogue off the bench first, I think have one if each position resting first is the smartest thing to do.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Kane
Thomas
Hogue
Niang
Ejim

Long/Morris first guys off the bench. If Naz Long wants to embrace that sixth man/spark off the bench role, then let him have at it. Kid has a great attitude. Thomas' outside shot will start falling, and he's been able to find other ways to contribute in the meantime.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
Gotta keep playing Thomas. Even if his shot isn't falling, I've been impressed with his ability to creat his own opportunities.