Home Repair/Issue - Water Running/Leaking Outside

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
My brother who lives near Springfield, Illinois sent me this photo of an issue outside his house. Asked me what it is? You can tell our knowledge level of these types of things by the fact that we have no clue what it is? Anyway...this started to run water out like a faucet so he closed the valves and it is continuing to leak. I don't even know what these pipes provide or why they exist? It is not a hookup for a garden hose or anything like that. Anyone that that could offer any insight? It would be appreciated! Thanks!

1642971885432.png

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
Any idea where the pipe going towards the ground on the top of the picture goes? For a pipe to be exposed like this in IL you would need water to be running continuously, otherwise it will freeze of course.

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Any idea where the pipe going towards the ground on the top of the picture goes? For a pipe to be exposed like this in IL you would need water to be running continuously, otherwise it will freeze of course.

I think it is his irrigation system and he did not/forgot to turn the water supply off from inside the house this fall. I think...

mp444

Nov 4, 2014
I think it is his irrigation system and he did not/forgot to turn the water supply off from inside the house this fall. I think...

At least in parts further north the winterization is more than just turning off the water supply. They generally also remove (blow out) the water from the lines in the ground with an air compressor as well. I always assumed that the bunch of valves/nozzles between the 2 blue valves was related to hooking up an air compressor, but I'm not sure. I have generally been able to pay someone something like $50 to blow out the lines.

Also, I've always seen the inside valves to the system be a separate valve that splits from the main water line before a water softener (if there is a water softener).

(Assuming you would have figured these out by now, but in case not)

RonBurgundy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2017
At least in parts further north the winterization is more than just turning off the water supply. They generally also remove (blow out) the water from the lines in the ground with an air compressor as well. I always assumed that the bunch of valves/nozzles between the 2 blue valves was related to hooking up an air compressor, but I'm not sure. I have generally been able to pay someone something like $50 to blow out the lines.

Also, I've always seen the inside valves to the system be a separate valve that splits from the main water line before a water softener (if there is a water softener).

(Assuming you would have figured these out by now, but in case not)

This is exactly correct. The three vertical connections are intended for a air compressor lines to be hooked up and all water blown out of the sprinkler system. Shutting off the water is not enough in cold climates, system should be blown dry in the fall or the lines will freeze and crack.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
FOr sure the irrigation back flow meter. If you go to the basement and see where the water line goes in to the basement It will come down to a valve(Circled in red in picture) you would close. Then close to the valve, but between the valve and where it goes outside there will be another valve(circled in green in pic) to open so you can drain the pipe down to where it won't freeze. Get the irrigation valve closed(circled in red) that is in your basement and then open the valve(circled in green) allowing the water to drain down to your drain in the basement and then it should be good until spring. Then you will probably be replacing the back flow valve and/or copper pipes outside before you can use the irrigation again. Pretty easy to stop at least for now. Good Luck

Attachments

• Irrigation valves inside.jpg
    Irrigation valves inside.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: cyfanatic

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
You won't be able to adjust the valves outside until they thaw, but the two blue valves on either side of the back flow preventer should be open halfway so at a 45 degree angle. Then the three circular metal parts of the back flow valve would have little screws with flat screwdriver heads on them that show if valve is open or closed by the line. Think they are also supposed to be 45 degree angle. But do NOT try and adjust them with ice in there because you will wreck things even more than they are now.... Just telling you for future reference.

Cyclonesrule91

Apr 10, 2006
Waukee
just put a new water meter on it and a ball valve. viola you are done.

If he just shuts off the irrigation water supply valve inside and drain what he can back, then no more damage can be done and then you fix that stuff in the spring. No need fixing the stuff outside right now

cyfanatic

Oct 18, 2006
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Thanks for the info/leads/direction on this issue! I believe he has it taken care of now. I have never had an irrigation system for the yard so it just didn't come to mind. Again, thanks! CF is the best!

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Glad he got it figured out. And hopefully not too many parts are busted and need to be replaced in the spring!

One thing to keep in mind, at least here in DSM, you need to have your backflow preventer tested/certified every year. Not sure about his area, but something to look into.