Home Depot/Menards Lawsuit

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
I didn't know a 4x4 wasn't actually 4x4, but I don't deal much in construction products either

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I didn't know a 4x4 wasn't actually 4x4, but I don't deal much in construction products either

Here is the extent of my knowledge on 4x4's (non-automotive category).

giphy.gif

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
Any idiot that works with wood realizes that 2 X 4s and 4 X 4s are nominal size dimensional construction lumber. I don't know of anywhere to buy construction lumber that is actually a 4" X 4". Funny they are not suing Lowes' too.

Yeah, and I'm sure the terminology has developed as the common shorthand, as who is going to prefer to say I need a 3 1/2" x 3 1/2"?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Any idiot that works with wood realizes that 2 X 4s and 4 X 4s are nominal size dimensional construction lumber. I don't know of anywhere to buy construction lumber that is actually a 4" X 4". Funny they are not suing Lowes' too.

I'm guessing that Lowes has a sign posted stating that the dimensions are different than the posted size?

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Yeah, pretty much all lumber that you buy anywhere is that way, so I see this as highly frivolous, and it should be thrown out.

One of my buddies is a gas buyer with BP, formerly with 7-11. He had to be deposed and was ultimately a witness in a trial related to the fuel sellers incorrectly charging consumers because you don't actually receive as much gasoline in warmer temps as you do in colder temps! This went all the way to trial, and is far more frivolous than nominal wood sizes.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nation-world/national/economy/article24727327.html

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Wood is cut to dimension wet. It is then dried causing it to shrink. This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Every plan out there calling for dimensional lumber like this is not calling for exact size.

• Winner
Reactions: ExCyment

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
First, when I saw the thread title I was sure they were suing each other. Menards Hates Home Depot.

Second, this is the dumbest lawsuit I've seen in awhile and those lawyers should be disbarred. Or at least another strong indication we need loser pays. They should do that pro-bono if they actually believe they have a case.

• Agree
Reactions: cytech and NWICY

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Many things in our industry are "incorrectly labeled"....plywood, for instance. 1/2" plywood may be as thin as 15/32" (and generally is), owing to less-than-perfect ways of manufacture. Wood shrinks as it dries, although not to the point where we have to allow for 1/2" difference.

As other posters have stated, in the business everyone is aware of this. The emergence of DIY stores pretty much ensured that things like this would happen. It's somewhat similar to buying a TV from Traviss and one from WalMart, and assuming that they are exactly the same.

To quote John Ruskin - "There is hardly anything a man cannot make a little cheaper, and sell for less money - and those people for whom price is the only objection are this man's lawful prey".

• Agree
Reactions: Cyclonepride