[Hold on, it’s not over yet] PATHWAY TO DALLAS

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I don't see OU running the table though it would be a great help. Have to get at least a split w/ Kst/Okst. Biggest problem is no letdown. Other than Kansas everyone can win on a given Saturday against anyone.

Reactions: t-noah

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I don't believe so. We started 3-0 in 2002, and also in 1931. I might have missed something else in there, but I think those are the best starts in conference play.
Well that's depressing.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
ISU gets Ok State in a good spot too.
ISU is coming off a bye, after TxTech next week.
OSU has Texas the following week, so potential to look ahead.

I said it before when the schedule was released, it sets up nicely for ISU. Basically 1 tough game in each 3 game block. Should be favored in the other 2 in each block.
Just like the first game of the year, we never seem to play well coming off a bye. I don't think it helps us. OSU playing Texas the following week might, but if we're 3-0, I don't think OSU is going to be looking ahead.

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I need to watch OSU some more but I also think that game will be Huuugee. If we can win that game then we're really in the drivers seat. Still @UT and @OSU will be tough and then we have KSU and they always give us problems. I think the only problems come if you lose all three of those games.

Last edited:

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
And before that I believe it was 1983. This is only the second time in the last 37 years that we have started 2-0 in conference (in 2002 we started 3-0, but... don't want to talk about what happened after that).

And prior to '83 was 1977.

Semi-related, '81 team didn't have a conference loss until the fourth game, opened 2-0-1 (but the tie came first). (Finished 2-4-1 :mad:)

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
i don't know why but I fear OSU more than any other team in the league the past few years.

IMO their offense is the perfect fit to give us our defense fits. The pokes tend to do a really good job using the shorter pass routes and turning those into big plays. You HAVE to make those tackles in space or they turn into huge plays. Our defense is designed to take away the homerun threat and conceding the underneath routes. Sprinkle in their run game and they will be really tough to slow down.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Figure out a way to keep whatever they found in the 3rd-4th quarter going from Saturday and every game is winnable.

Exaggerating but that seemed like more players stepping up to make a play than all of last season.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I think OSU is the team to beat, and the Big 12s best chance at the playoff.

The Red River game will keep the winner in the running along with ISU, KSU and OSU (suck it non-land grant schools)
To get into the CFP, a team can only have 1 loss outside a conf. championship game. If ISU makes it to our CCG, there is a possibility we make the CFP. I know everyone is pissed about the Louisiana game, but they are still undefeated and ranked ahead of us in both polls. If they finish their season with only a couple losses, that early L isn't that big a black mark on our resume. Remember they went 11-3 last year and returned a bunch of people. Our out-of-conference SOS will be quite good compared to everyone else. So what I'm trying to say is at this VERY EARLY point in the season, ISU has as good a chance as anyone else of being the Big 12's CFP rep.

I'M NOT SAYING THIS WILL HAPPEN. But to discard ISU for some other Big 12 team at this point is premature.

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
I think OSU is the team to beat, and the Big 12s best chance at the playoff.

The Red River game will keep the winner in the running along with ISU, KSU and OSU (suck it non-land grant schools)

Do we root for OU in this game?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
In a battle between ISU and OU for the second spot, ISU will need to lose THREE if OU wins out.
In a battle between ISU and TCU for the second sport, ISU will need to lose TWO if TCU wins out.

Keep in mind that if the ties are between more than 2 teams it is a round robin tie-breaker so you could have the tie breaker over one team but lose a round robin tie-breaker

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
To get into the CFP, a team can only have 1 loss outside a conf. championship game. If ISU makes it to our CCG, there is a possibility we make the CFP. I know everyone is pissed about the Louisiana game, but they are still undefeated and ranked ahead of us in both polls. If they finish their season with only a couple losses, that early L isn't that big a black mark on our resume. Remember they went 11-3 last year and returned a bunch of people. Our out-of-conference SOS will be quite good compared to everyone else. So what I'm trying to say is at this VERY EARLY point in the season, ISU has as good a chance as anyone else of being the Big 12's CFP rep.

I'M NOT SAYING THIS WILL HAPPEN. But to discard ISU for some other Big 12 team at this point is premature.

You're 100% right. The media will never learn. If Iowa State wins out with favorites winning most of the remaining Big 12 games, Iowa State will be in the discussion. In that scenario, I still think they miss out because of a lack of brand name and I expect UL to lose a couple in the Sun Belt. But your point stands. The media overreact every year to these early results.

Just another disclaimer so we don't get yelled at: I DO NOT EXPECT THIS TO HAPPEN

More of a commentary on college football punditry

Reactions: besserheimerphat