Hok Beat Writer Blows a .325

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
He was still in Columbus covering Iowa last weekend.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
I’d be happy with a zero tolerance policy with progressive punishments based on BAC.

This view is in no way clouded by how they are treating CBD and marijuana like it’s black tar heroin in red states.

The DEA (and yes, the federal one) says heroin and cannabis are both Schedule 1.

https://www.dea.gov/drug-scheduling

They lump a lot of very dissimilar things together...

"Schedule I drugs, substances, or chemicals are defined as drugs with no currently accepted medical use and a high potential for abuse. Some examples of Schedule I drugs are:
heroin, lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD), marijuana (cannabis), 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (ecstasy), methaqualone, and peyote"

Point is -- stupid classification of substances and the problems stemming from the same is not something unique to a certain class of state as sorted by their politics.

This includes alcohol.

There is no shortage of stupid to go around, especially at the federal level.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Hey, cut the gut some slack. After all it is the off-season. What else you gonna do on a Monday night is Iowa City?

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Without looking it up, I believe there is some sort of "aggravated" number where they usually don't or can't plead the offender down, I believe it's over .15 and the punishment is more severe, or something along those lines.

This is not true. For instance if it's your 2nd in a 12 year period, you can still plea down to a 1st no matter what you blow. The judge doesn't even look at the BAC when considering punishment.

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
This is not true. For instance if it's your 2nd in a 12 year period, you can still plea down to a 1st no matter what you blow. The judge doesn't even look at the BAC when considering punishment.

Take a look at 321J.2(2)(a), which says, as Al4State pointed out, you can't get a deferred judgment if you're over .15

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

OWI's are on a rolling 10 year period. You can have 3 in 3 months, wait a little over 10 years and get another and you will be considered first offense. Doesn't make sense to me.

thatguy

May 29, 2009
DENVER
The only way to prevent rural drunk driving is to provide some kind of service to transport people. I bet Uber and Lyft have reduced urban drunk driving dramatically.

That said, I'd bet if you looked at the statistics, rural counties have far fewer traffic injuries and deaths (even per capita) due to alcohol. There's just less potential danger.

I use the analogy of firing a loaded gun off into the air. If you're in the middle of nowhere, the odds of hurting anyone are low. If you're in a city, the odds are dramatically increased. The law needs to be the same regardless, but if you're being honest about the danger of the two situations, you know there's a huge difference in the actual recklessness. Which doesn't mean it's acceptable or prudent to do it, ever.

{Peaks head in...} the only reason that so many city and local governments are fighting Uber and Lyft so hard is because DUI's are a profit center for them and Uber and Lyft have put a pretty big dent in that income for local governments.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

This is a different thing. Second offenses can be plead down (it could be plead down to public intox and reckless driving theoretically), but you can't get a deferred judgment (a completely different thing) if you have exceeded .15.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
{Peaks head in...} the only reason that so many city and local governments are fighting Uber and Lyft so hard is because DUI's are a profit center for them and Uber and Lyft have put a pretty big dent in that income for local governments.

That and the permit-based monopoly they have with many traditional cab services.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny
OWI's are on a rolling 10 year period. You can have 3 in 3 months, wait a little over 10 years and get another and you will be considered first offense. Doesn't make sense to me.

I'm pretty positive if you get one 11 years after your first one it's still a second offense. I know someone who got one a long time after their first and it a second offense, had to have been over 10 years

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I'm pretty positive if you get one 11 years after your first one it's still a second offense. I know someone who got one a long time after their first and it a second offense, had to have been over 10 years

Ive seen just about everyone I know who has gotten multiples use the ten year span. If it's a plea or what. I know a guy who was at five and got most of them erased because he kept his nose clean for enough time to get four of them to time out.

EDIT: Maybe he kept his nose clean because a chunk was spent in the clink. Besides his uncle being the sheriff.

• Informative
Reactions: CyTwins

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA

It goes in a 12 year rolling period, at least in Iowa. If you get 3 within 12 consecutive years it's considered a felony, but it resets as ones drop off out of that 12 year period.