* Hoiberg Watch 2015: Wednesday, May 27 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Well it will soon be over 1 way or another, I still think he stays but that will only delay things a year, he wants to go to T-Wolves.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
What's interesting about this Bulls coaching deal is the amount of backstabbing the front office seems to partake in with regards to Thibs. Sun Times is even going so far as to say Paxson is dragging his feet so other potential landing spots for Thibs fill up - leaving him unable to coach in the NBA next year. Out of spite I guess. I don't know what Fred will do. If he goes best of luck to him. But I hope it goes well because there seems to be a large set of egos pulling the strings above whoever coaches there next year. AND, Butler is no sure thing to remain with the team. Who knows what he's thinking in terms of playing along side Rose. While he is a restricted free agent and the Bulls can match offers it's not a guarantee he won't demand to be let go in some sort of sign and trade. The Bulls have more questions than answers if you ask me. Not a young team. Fred's a smart guy but I hope it doesn't implode. Stars run NBA teams. Not sure who wouldn't like Fred's approach but there are some pitfalls he'd have to navigate.

CloneDontCare

Jul 27, 2009
Trying to hold Tibs out from coaching next year doesn't even make logical sense no mater how spiteful you are.

As soon as he's gone, another team could drop their coach just to get him.

Including the worst case scenario, the Cavs.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
My hope right now is Fred has told them he is still on the fence and will give them his decision on x date. Otherwise what's the reason for Chicago to not have parted ways with Thibs?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Trying to hold Tibs out from coaching next year doesn't even make logical sense no mater how spiteful you are.

As soon as he's gone, another team could drop their coach just to get him.

Including the worst case scenario, the Cavs.

part of me wonders if they are waiting to benefit Fred so he doesn't have to quit before the kids are out of school.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
My hope right now is Fred has told them he is still on the fence and will give them his decision on x date. Otherwise what's the reason for Chicago to not have parted ways with Thibs?

after this whole debacle, it will be easy for me to continue to hate the Bulls and hope they lose ;)

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
part of me wonders if they are waiting to benefit Fred so he doesn't have to quit before the kids are out of school.

Okay I pondered for a minute and still cannot figure out any viable reason to do this.. You think the kids will get a bunch of crap in school. Most kids in elementary or middle school probably have ISU basketball coach as the bottom priority in life if it even makes the list.

If a kid does care that much about who is the ISU hoops coach, at that age, his parents need to give him or her a new direction in life. :)

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006

Not being snarky but I'm not sure why that would matter. It's not like they'd be packing up and starting school in Chicago in a week. If only so the kids don't have to deal with the bum rush of questions? I'm sure they already are dealing with that 1000%. If he's going the family has embraced the idea.

asmosis

Jul 6, 2010
Minneapolis
If I'm Fred. and I see the way that Paxson and Gar are handling this Thibodeau situation... the petty, vindictive attempt to not fire him until all the other jobs are full, and being babies about not wanting to cover any of the $9M owed (when they could have just fired him outright and let another team cover most/all of that)... why would I want to work for these guys??? (Yes... prior history, i get it... and dream of NBA coaching).

But if you see someone you trust/like act in a way that is unsettling, doesn't that stand out? It would for me. To me it shows indecisiveness and a vengeful streak that is pretty unpleasant. Sure, maybe Fred just wants to coach in the NBA and doesn't worry about the previous guy's situation. Or has info about Thibs being the bad guy... but this whole thing smells rotter for Pax/Gar.

Just thinking out loud about the Bulls situation.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Okay I pondered for a minute and still cannot figure out any viable reason to do this.. You think the kids will get a bunch of crap in school. Most kids in elementary or middle school probably have ISU basketball coach as the bottom priority in life if it even makes the list.

If a kid does care that much at that age his parents need to give him a new direction in life. :)

really? A bunch of middle school boys? Who mostly likely enjoy sports not to mention their friends are moving.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
after this whole debacle, it will be easy for me to continue to hate the Bulls and hope they lose ;)

I really don't watch the NBA. Fred at the Bulls wouldn't change that. I would hope he has success. So many freaking variables with an NBA team. Juggling egos. Guys leaving to be "the man" somewhere else. It's just not a very stable environment. That and the Cavs are squarely in the Bulls way for the foreseeable future.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
really? A bunch of middle school boys? Who mostly likely enjoy sports not to mention their friends are moving.

I know middle school boys very well, my kid does all kinds of travel baseball with a bunch of them. Thing is they don't watch a lot of baseball.. They like to play and they are all Dodger fans but they would rather do video games or hang out in their spare time when they are not playing ball.

Kids really don't care about such things. Maybe the friends aspect, but who is ISU coach, um no. Now they might think going to coach the Bulls is pretty cool. Bulls is a much bigger brand than ISU..

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

These kids will think their friend moving to Chicago for their Dad to be the Bulls head coach is cool as hell.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I really don't watch the NBA. Fred at the Bulls wouldn't change that. I would hope he has success. So many freaking variables with an NBA team. Juggling egos. Guys leaving to be "the man" somewhere else. It's just not a very stable environment. That and the Cavs are squarely in the Bulls way for the foreseeable future.

i have hated the Bulls since Jordan and my love of Fred isn't going to overcome that.

I actually enjoy the nba. Not a lot but I don't mind watching. I love the Spurs and I'm pulling for lebron to win one for Cleveland.

kberyldial

Mar 20, 2006
i have hated the Bulls since Jordan and my love of Fred isn't going to overcome that.

I actually enjoy the nba. Not a lot but I don't mind watching. I love the Spurs and I'm pulling for lebron to win one for Cleveland.

Okay that said, I lived in Chicago during the Bulls run and I must say it was impressive. The way the league is now, the Spurs seem to me to be the last of the "dynasty" type teams going forward. You just can't keep teams together like that anymore. That's why I question the move by Fred if he goes. Yes, he scratches an itch but who knows what the Bulls look like in 2-3 years. Players have their own agendas now. Their "brand." Barf. The Blackhawks play tonight - that is all that matters.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Do you think JP would consider offering Hornacek a contract like that? ISU isn't made of money and Hornacek has zero NCAA experience.

ISU needs to find the money to pay a coach with experience well. This whole BS that we cannot afford it is getting old. Can ISU afford to have empty seats in Hilton? ISU basketball has to be the identity of the University, if it takes a few extra bucks paid to a coach to make this happen, it should be a no brainer.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
Okay that said, I lived in Chicago during the Bulls run and I must say it was impressive. The way the league is now, the Spurs seem to me to be the last of the "dynasty" type teams going forward. You just can't keep teams together like that anymore. That's why I question the move by Fred if he goes. Yes, he scratches an itch but who knows what the Bulls look like in 2-3 years. Players have their own agendas now. Their "brand." Barf. The Blackhawks play tonight - that is all that matters.

If I had to take a guess, I would say they'll be bad.
If Fred goes I guess he'll be seeing first hand if coaching makes a difference.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
ISU needs to find the money to pay a coach with experience well. This whole BS that we cannot afford it is getting old. Can ISU afford to have empty seats in Hilton? ISU basketball has to be the identity of the University, if it takes a few extra bucks paid to a coach to make this happen, it should be a no brainer.

if they could get hornacek they should pay whatever it takes.

My my donation for basketball doubles this year. I would happily pay that if Fred was the coach. I would smile as I wrote the check.

Another coach (not Jeff)? I'll ***** about it all year.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
if they could get hornacek they should pay whatever it takes.

My my donation for basketball doubles this year. I would happily pay that if Fred was the coach. I would smile as I wrote the check.

Another coach (not Jeff)? I'll ***** about it all year.

You've already told us that you'll spend the summer whining if Fred leaves. It sounds like this would just stretch out the timeframe for something that you'll be doing already.

im4cyclones

Jun 14, 2010
Ames, IA

Who says that? Or are you making an argument simply to argue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron