Hoiberg taken to hospital

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Do you think Iowa or the rest of the United States is going to fully shut down in the next couple weeks? I don’t. My business will likely still be open. Other business will likely stay open. Stores will stay open. All places for people to spread germs.

Right, but do you understand that by having as many people as possible stay home the amount of possible people to spread the virus is lessened? Like I can’t see any other way to explain this. You’re fighting math here, not opinions, ideas, or suggestions.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
China took massively draconian actions to slow it down. Actions that will never be taken in a western country. It likely worked, to some extent. It will be worse here, because we cannot do those things.
And China also likely underreported the cases imo.

Sadly It will be worse here. We don’t have the leadership needed to even give us a chance, and there were already some governmental systemic weaknesses to the Western response.

• Agree
Reactions: Cat Stevens

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Right, but do you understand that by having as many people as possible stay home the amount of possible people to spread the virus is lessened? Like I can’t see any other way to explain this. You’re fighting math here, not opinions, ideas, or suggestions.
Right. I’m sure you will stay hunkered down in your cellar with your canned peaches till summer.

• Funny
Reactions: Go2Guy

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
China took massively draconian actions to slow it down. Actions that will never be taken in a western country. It likely worked, to some extent. It will be worse here, because we cannot do those things.
Long after the outbreak occurred.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010
Next couple of years? Look how it’s spread in 3 weeks. Pretty optimistic to think this thing will be slowed down to spreading over 2 years, unless we really start isolating ourselves which means closing many more businesses and offices.

The province where this started in China has 59 million people and has had something like 3500 deaths. The vast majority of which were advanced age with respiratory ailments. While the rest of the world is possibly peaking which we should know within a couple of weeks China's new cases have dwindled to just a few. This information was given to our company by one of our infectious disease experts. As of this morning they are unaware of anyone under the age of 50 dying from the disease. The virus is generally spread through the air to a range of 6 feet so not as infectious as the flu. So far the risk of spreading by surface contact is low with hard surface more likely then soft as opposed to the norovirus. He said an abundance of caution is not unwarranted but his main take away was that if you want to reduce your chances of dying from an infectious virus (in general) get a flu shot it's not too late. Despite this being a particularly bad flu season (over 300 kids have died from the flu in the U.S. this season) and the shot is only 30% effective. Anyway that's the jest of the talk. It probably should of been broadcast nationwide.

Reactions: kingcy

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Do you think Iowa or the rest of the United States is going to fully shut down in the next couple weeks? I don’t. My business will likely still be open. Other business will likely stay open. Stores will stay open. All places for people to spread germs will likely stay open. This thing will spread rapidly
Only if there are people like you that don’t understand that acting now, and staying home, will make an impact. A strong government response declaring the next few days holidays is needed.

You’re the antagonist in the failure of public goods. The one that litters society because if you don’t, someone else will.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Do you think Iowa or the rest of the United States is going to fully shut down in the next couple weeks? I don’t. My business will likely still be open. Other business will likely stay open. Stores will stay open. All places for people to spread germs will likely stay open. This thing will spread rapidly

Again, whose point are you trying to prove here? Of course it will spread rapidly if everyone lives their normal lives. That's why experts are recommending people make changes to their normal lives. We agree!

Where we disagree is that you're fine with making the situation worse against the advice of experts if it means that you, personally, are not inconvenienced. If there are enough people who think like you then a greater number of people are likelier to die as a result.

• Winner
Reactions: WhoISthis

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Literally made up a number. Even 1-2 million over a couple months would be enough since many of these patients are needing icu support for weeks not days.
Not punching at you by an means. This thing is real. That said I think perspective and fact need to rule the day, hence my comment. I know you didn’t post to flame fire.

Reactions: cowgirl836

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
The province where this started in China has 59 million people and has had something like 3500 deaths. The vast majority of which were advanced age with respiratory ailments. While the rest of the world is possibly peaking which we should know within a couple of weeks China's new cases have dwindled to just a few. This information was given to our company by one of our infectious disease experts. As of this morning they are unaware of anyone under the age of 50 dying from the disease. The virus is generally spread through the air to a range of 6 feet so not as infectious as the flu. So far the risk of spreading by surface contact is low with hard surface more likely then soft as opposed to the norovirus. He said an abundance of caution is not unwarranted but his main take away was that if you want to reduce your chances of dying from an infectious virus (in general) get a flu shot it's not too late. Despite this being a particularly bad flu season (over 300 kids have died from the flu in the U.S. this season) and the shot is only 30% effective. Anyway that's the jest of the talk. It probably should of been broadcast nationwide.
The only age range with zero fatalities is under 10. Time to find some new experts, because that's not too difficult to find.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
That may be where we're headed. Look how fast this has moved in the last 48 hours.

Either way, reducing the largest events slows down the number that can be spread to at any one time. It has an effect

Exactly. Not enough hospital beds, doctors, medicine if we don't restrict person to person interactions. Goal is to flatten the bell curve so that first responders aren't overwhelmed.

Basketball (or any sports), spring break, schooling, business are all secondary to attacking Covid problem.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
The only age range with zero fatalities is under 10. Time to find some new experts, because that's not too difficult to find.
Getting accurate information out of China hasn’t been easy, it never is.

Let’s hope a disruption to normalcy will be looked back on as being unneeded hysteria. Much rather have that mistake than getting caught not doing enough.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Not at all. Not pretending anything, it’s quite serious. If I’ve got it and I come in contact with a couple hundred people in the next couple days, I’m rapidly spreading it. Same with the thousands of others that may have it and are going to work tomorrow or will be in public. Until more gets shut down it’s not slowing anything down

Just how contagious do you think this is? Most estimates I've seen have placed the R0 (number of new people infected from each case) somewhere in the 2-3 range. Which fits the data I've seen, cases seem to double about every 6 days so that would be an average incubation period of about 6-9 days.

It's very easy for a lot of people's imagination to run wild and think everybody is spreading a virus to everyone they pass on the street but that's simply not possible. A virus that contagious would likely burn out very quickly.

If people are careful and limit contact, it is very possible people might only infect 1 or even 0 rather than 2 or 3. Any average R0 less than 1 and it goes away over time. But it's really important we not panic or just give up.

ManBearClone

Apr 29, 2010

I'd have to go look it might of been U.S. or outside China going off memory. I do see one site that says China had one death in the 10 - 19 range. But by all means give us a link. This isn't some sort of contest.