Hoiberg named as Celtics HC candidate

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
College season is short compared to NBA - when you've got young kids, I imagine that's a pretty big lifestyle change. Of course his offseason wouldn't be filled with recruiting... Who knows. While the Celtics are a huge brand, the media and fans there wouldn't have the goodwill toward Fred that he gets here in Iowa. Who knows though... I believe he and Aings are friends to some extent. I know they've been spotted together at AAU tournaments.
NBA teams still do ridiculous amounts of off-season recruiting. It's called free agency. If you don't think that's true, listen to 5 minutes of Dwight Howard talk.

Last edited:

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
If you think NBA teams won't fire a coach bc they know they are in rebuilding mode then you don't know the NBA. The next coach will not be given 4-5 years. Unless of course they somehow get that rag tag group to the playoffs.

Isn't that almost exactly what they did with Doc Rivers? I remember his first years in Boston being pretty dreadful.

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
I don't see CFH leaving yet, but then again I never thought Floyd would want the Bulls job without Jordan there, so who knows?

As I recall, it was pretty much understood at the time that Floyd was going to the Bulls as soon as Phil Jackson left, no matter what the situation was there. His ego was huge and he wanted to be an NBA coach. His buddy Jerry Krause made it happen.

Just my opinion, but I think one of the reasons why Floyd initially turned down the ISU job was because he was really hoping somebody would give him an NBA gig, but there were no obvious openings.

I don't see the huge ego issue with CFH...

Last edited:

GeorgesFan

Jul 18, 2011
Raising a family in Ames > Raising a family in Boston

Even being from Massachusetts, I agree with this. Fred isn't going anywhere right now because I made him pinky swear that he would be at Iowa State until Georges graduates. But on a more serious note, my gut feeling is that he may leave before his contract is up but I don't think it will be soon. No new news here!

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
Bac back back back back BACK BACK BACK! YOU CAN PUT IT ON DA BOARD! FREDS OUTTA HERE! YES!

finally we can start doing things the right way!

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Even being from Massachusetts, I agree with this. Fred isn't going anywhere right now because I made him pinky swear that he would be at Iowa State until Georges graduates. But on a more serious note, my gut feeling is that he may leave before his contract is up but I don't think it will be soon. No new news here!

Probably the most substantial post we'll see in this thread, at least it's based on a real conversation we know happened and not just more speculation to keep us occupied till football and basketball seasons start. ;-)

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
money talks no matter what you think!

Compare the money he could make here with the money he would make in the NBA (with a likely short-lived career) and I think he makes more here, especially as he becomes The Mayor of every city and town in America as he promotes basketball.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
Thats primarily done by the GM and his front office minions.

Maybe the finer points of contracts and making trades work, but it's not like head coaches wouldn't be involved in that process. Do you think the front office just assembles a team for them and then the coach shows up and just works with whatever he's given? Or that a coach wouldn't need to be involved in convincing a key free agent that their franchise is their ideal destination?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Don't worry, this still won't stop us from being at least a tiny bit concerned every time a job comes open. And those of us who proclaim the loudest that he is going anywhere at anytime are the ones most worried about it :)

It's quite the burden to have a desirable coach.