Hoiberg Better vs. MacCaffery

RayShimley

Sep 9, 2008
White Bear Lake, MN
Not so sure on Railey....

Railey is a big-bodied true freshman who likes to play physical and has shown a smooth jump shot. He will be good. The only thing that worries me about Railey is whether we will get 4 years out of him. Hopefully he's learned from his off the court problems this year and continues to mature.

legi

Oct 31, 2008
Maple Grove, MN
White Magic may be the stupidest nickname I have ever heard.

That said, I fail to see how this article is wrong, or biased. Sad that you ISU guys can't handle the truth, even when it's in a well-written, well-known, respected and unbiased source, such as the Daily Iowan.

You forgot :jimlad:

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

That said, I fail to see how this article is wrong, or biased. Sad that you ISU guys can't handle the truth, even when it's in a well-written, well-known, respected and unbiased source, such as the Daily Iowan.

The Daily Iowan, the student newspaper of the U of Iowa, is a respected and unbiased source when it comes to an OPINION piece about which basketball coach between Iowa and Iowa State is better?

Wow :biglaugh:

ca4cy

Dec 6, 2009
North Central IA

That said, I fail to see how this article is wrong, or biased. Sad that you ISU guys can't handle the truth, even when it's in a well-written, well-known, respected and unbiased source, such as the Daily Iowan.[/QUOTE]

what-you-did-there-i-see-it.jpg

cysocool

Jul 12, 2010
Even the Daily Iowan is co-opting the Mayor to get their fans to read an article about fran. Who knows maybe fran will be a better coach than Lute Olsen at iowa...

This article is more about their worries about Fred and what he could mean for Iowa State basketball; believe me they're worried. Why wouldn't they compare fran to say Steve Alford, Lute Olson, Tom Davis, or George Raveling?

Fred Hoiberg could be another national media darling like Tim Floyd was when his career was taking off. Watch out for the hawk media to take some more shots like this at Fred, but they should be careful, he has the potential to be a true star. They should embrace him because too many people in this state love him, not just cyclone fans.

Last edited:

Haverhill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 4, 2009
Ames
www.twitter.com
My two cents that I put under the article..

"Recruiting" isn't limited to high school students only. Recruiting is bringing players into your program. Would you take Josh Oglesby or Royce White? Chris Allen or Bryce Cartwright? Yes, transfers are a risk, but players such as Curtis Kelly at Kansas State (formerly UConn) or Ben Hansbrough at Notre Dame have showed great success at their new schools, which were better fits for their games and personalities.

In regards to comparing game scores... Iowa State lost by 5 to #3 Kansas at home, by 1 to Kansas State, by 6 to #20 Missouri, and beat the 4th best team in the conference, Baylor, by 15 points. Our out of conference includes wins at Carver-Hawkeye, and a 13 point win over the Virginia Cavaliers in Charlottesville, a middle-pack ACC team.

It is very likely that Fran McCaffery can and will have a successful career at Iowa, however, using his win record at Siena is no different than using Greg McDermott and Todd Lickliter's mid-major records as way to justify success at Iowa State and Iowa. It just doesn't work that way, BCS conferences are a different animal.

Reactions: Cydkar and azepp

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
And now back to something way more important...the fact that FH is superior to FM.

Although some of the comments seem to be written by some of us in this thread, the comments to the linked article/column seem to be almost universally slamming the writers. Even the readers of the Daily Iowan recognize that this was a waste of ink and paper.

So much wrong that it isn't even worth tiring out the electrons cataloging them all here.

AllIowaTeams

Jun 10, 2010
Grimes
The Daily Iowan, the student newspaper of the U of Iowa, is a respected and unbiased source when it comes to an OPINION piece about which basketball coach between Iowa and Iowa State is better?

Wow :biglaugh:

Jdogg...wow. I won't insult you because I find you to be a very good poster, but dude...did he need to add a jimlad in 88 point font for you to catch the sarcasm?

nileo

Apr 29, 2010
Grimes
I'm more that happy with Hoiberg here. I'm not saying he is going to be better or worse than Mccaffrey will be in IC. I will say that I am kind of suprised w/ how Iowa has played this year. I think the players enjoy playing for Fran and I think if he can get a couple more decent recruits, he will have some success at Iowa.
That said, Fran is a upgrade over Lickliter and that will be good for Iowa basketball. I long for the days of both ISU and Iowa facing each other when they are both Top 25 teams. Who can forget the Eustacy/Alford battles back in the late 1990's / early 2000's. Those were heated and fun to watch.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Jdogg...wow. I won't insult you because I find you to be a very good poster, but dude...did he need to add a jimlad in 88 point font for you to catch the sarcasm?

Ordinarily my jimlad detector would have been all over this (and actually it was for a moment). But then I saw who posted it, and considering his history and propensity for being quite overtly homerish, if not slightly on the trollish side, it's not too much of a stretch to think he was actually serious with what he was posting.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
Fran McCaffery earned that nickname as a college point guard. He's the same age as Magic Johnson and was also a tall PG. He was a pretty decent player in his own right. I believe his Penn team may also have tangled with Magic's MSU team at some point.

It has nothing to do with his coaching career.

Interesting tidbit, that. And here I thought it was just something that EIU kids made up so their coach would have a nickname.

the_more_you_know2.jpg

JCREEK

Jan 14, 2010
dsm
It won't be that big. I'd bet on it.

More like -11 but that is not the point. Iowa had almost the entire starting 5 back -fuller with Stud is Basabee coming in and they are going to have another +20 loss season. The fact is they are not very athletic and get beat up and down the court and can't play defense. Most big ten teams lose alot of talent next year so they should get to 500 in a pretty weak big 10. Nebraska should be 2 wins alone. I would say Fran has done nothing with that talent and when u lose +20 games with a weak non conf schedule you are not a good coach. Time will tell but Fred is smoking him real bad in recruiting witch is a huge part of being a good coach. ISU went to Carver with 7 scholarship players and had no problem beating them. The future looks very good for ISU..

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
McCaffery is dead-man-walking 28 games into year one.
Look for him to bolt for some place with a hyphen in it's name after next season.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007
I'm more that happy with Hoiberg here. I'm not saying he is going to be better or worse than Mccaffrey will be in IC. I will say that I am kind of suprised w/ how Iowa has played this year. I think the players enjoy playing for Fran and I think if he can get a couple more decent recruits, he will have some success at Iowa.
That said, Fran is a upgrade over Lickliter and that will be good for Iowa basketball. I long for the days of both ISU and Iowa facing each other when they are both Top 25 teams. Who can forget the Eustacy/Alford battles back in the late 1990's / early 2000's. Those were heated and fun to watch.

Um...they are 10-18 (3-13) with a very good chance of losing their last 3 games. They have won no more games than they won under Lickliter last year and have actually won 1 less conference game.