Hoiberg and Nebraska’s woes continue

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
As someone who grew up as kid during Orr's time and then played for him I don't think he would want to take some that legacy away from Johnny. He came here brought life back to the program and then left before anything could happen like what's currently happening at Nebraska.

I don't think he could ever take away Johnny's legacy but he could have left his own here that possibly would have topped Johnny's. I don't think it would have ended how it likely will for Scott Frost where you may have to fire one of your all time greats that failed as a coach. Fred did not fail here and even a few lean years would have been tolerated but I think he has a system in place that would have allowed him to have success here for many years.

Not trying to downgrade what Johnny did here either but he went 218-200 overall and a losing conference record of 79-117 so on paper it doesn't look impressive but just like McCarney with the football program he did the hard work of making the program relevant for success after his tenure. Orr made just 1 Sweet 16 in 14 seasons at ISU while Fred did that in his 4th year and Prohm in his 1st year with mostly Fred's guys. Floyd and Eustachy both made the Sweet 16 with Larry taking a team within 3 minutes of a Final 4. None of that would of ever happened had Orr not put ISU BB on the map so even with Fred taking a team to the Final 4 or a national championship game he would never take away the legacy Orr left here.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
I'm not sure I could pass up the Bulls job if it was my dream to coach in the NBA.

hindsight always gonna win tho

I would have passed up that Bulls job unless the buyout was mind-blowing. That organization has never left the Jordan era resulting from terrible ownership and front office. While I knew coaching in the NBA was Fred's dream, anyone paying attention knew him taking the Bulls' job was a mistake.

RedBlooded

Jun 11, 2010
cedar falls
I assume that Fred has a special family connection to NEB. I think it is hard for us fans to believe that ISU just wasn't that special to him. But he left and his kids went to MSU and KU. So it's hard to believe that he has regrets about leaving.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Sometimes I wonder if Fred regrets some of his life choices from about 2015 onward.

Meh - oh well.
I doubt it. Compare what his salary was compared to what it would’ve been at Iowa State. Add in big 12 conference uncertainty, and I think he’s probably good.

If there was one regret it’s probably passing up on the Golden State job, assuming it was even offered to him.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
He never said this once and repeatedly said the best basketball minds are in the NBA basically right away. Just because some of our fans put this on him doesn’t make it true.

I’m not rooting for his failure but it at least shuts up the psychopaths that want us to hire him back every season.

It was an awesome run when it happened. I’ll cherish it until I die. But it’s over.

I loved the NBA game growing up when it was at its peak in the 90's with Jordan's Bulls teams but I have no interest in what the league has become now. Other than a handful of coaches most don't last about 3 years tops in the NBA before they get fired and Fred knew this basically stepping into a no-win situation similar to what Floyd did following a successful coach fired by a front office that had no plan in place.

I cherish what Fred did here too but in hindsight it was a boneheaded move to take the Bulls job when he did and he left a lot on the table here when he did that. I happen to know someone that at the time that was fairly connected to the Hoibergs as they would occasionally have dinner with them and it sounded like his wife would have preferred he waited till their kids were out of school before he tried to coach in the NBA because they liked being close to family and the Gilbert school district. It's already been out there that Pollard offered him more money to stay too and given his career earnings as a player and front office exec money was probably not a huge factor. It is what it is and we can't change history but you have to wonder if offered a chance to go back in time and change things if Fred regrets the decision he made.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Like it or not, Iowa State just isn't any coach's dream job. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that.
Was actually wondering about this the other day. Like with all our coaches there's 1 or 2 jobs it feels like might be trouble if that opening came up at a decent time. But for TJ? Legit no clue what his would be. Not that we'll likely have to worry about that for a hot minute but still

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Tonight's win over Tennessee State marked Fred's second three-game winning streak in his tenure with Nebrasketball.
The last two seasons under Fred are two of the worst seasons in post WW2 Nebraska basketball. Again, we are talking about probably the worst power conference program in college basketball.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I <3 Fred and feel bad for anyone who hates him because he chose to make $2.5 more million a year.

I would be hurt if my wife left me for Ryan Reynolds, but surely I’d understand after awhile.

I think my wife would be OK with me leaving her for Ryan Reynolds.

In all serious though I don't get the Fred constant hate. Be happy for all that he's done. Remember he was also recruited my NU for football and has family ties there. Be happy we got anything from him.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I would have passed up that Bulls job unless the buyout was mind-blowing. That organization has never left the Jordan era resulting from terrible ownership and front office. While I knew coaching in the NBA was Fred's dream, anyone paying attention knew him taking the Bulls' job was a mistake.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Sometimes I wonder if Fred regrets some of his life choices from about 2015 onward.

Meh - oh well.

Probably not he has been very well paid for all those choices. He's very good at making money.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron