Hoiberg 27th highest paid coach in last year's Big Dance

RubyClone

Mar 21, 2014
I like your line of reasoning, but an extra $2.8 million/year easily covers the cost of living increase.

If CFH chases the money, we can't stop him. If he wants the challenge, we can't stop him. It really comes down to whether we want to spend our time enjoying the ride or worrying about what happens when the ride stops.

Sure enough - and then some I'm sure.

What I'm trying to get across is I think ISU provides the ability to make a ridiculous amount of cash - over a longer term with really less result required. Look at the playoff coaches axed or forced out this year. It's nuts. Fred has 4 NCAA wins in as many years, 1 conf championship and he's what? Doubled his salary and tied it down for 10 years?

Dollar for dollar - we're screwed. No doubt. But the setup here is pretty close to being as sweet.

But I also believe the details also factor highly. Family in town, smaller town, kids in good/safe schools (of course that can be bought about anywhere), and I think given the age of his kids - the shorter season works in our favor. He's home far more often than he'll ever be in the pros. And this the time he probably really wants to versus when he was playing and the kids were young, not doing as much.

I may be diluting myself - but I really think we're pretty safe with Fred for a number of years still the twins are through HS - or pretty close to it.

Save some obscene amount of cash.

I think it'll really not be cash - but whether or not he desires the game/challenge/etc. I don't know that he does. I'm saying this from my view - you can buy a championship in the pros. Coaches truly build it in college. I think it's more of a "challenge" in college. I also think actual game-day coaching goes further in college than the pros.

50,000 ft perspective.

Last edited:

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I like your line of reasoning, but an extra $2.8 million/year easily covers the cost of living increase.

If CFH chases the money, we can't stop him. If he wants the challenge, we can't stop him. It really comes down to whether we want to spend our time enjoying the ride or worrying about what happens when the ride stops.

This is my honest question here. Does it cover time lost from the family and home? I know a college coach is busy with recruiting, etc. It's definitely a job that doesn't stop on the court. But NBA coaches are gone weeks at a time on road trips. Add to that the season is about 3 times as long (game wise) and I can't imagine you have much time to spend with your family. Not saying or even trying to predict what CFH would do, but for me it would be a no brainer to be a millionaire in my hometown, surrounded by people who love me as opposed to trying to make a go of it in the NBA. Graned, a lot of my thought process is probably the reason I don't have the drive to do much coaching outside of my kids little league.

Especially with the job security issues in the NBA, it just seems like making $2 mil in Ames, would be about the same value as making $5 mil in the NBA.

Dingus

May 23, 2013
I've never seen a group of fans that obsesses over a coach's salary more than this one.

If Hoiberg goes to the NBA it'll be because he wants to be an NBA coach or because he wants to maximize his yearly salary, and Iowa State can't do anything about either one of those things.

I will say, though, that being a college coach of a team like KU or UNC is about as good as you could get. Great pay and an inherent advantage in player talent that you will never get as a coach of an NBA team. It's like if the Lakers got a lottery pick every single year. They really have no reason not to do very, very, well every single year.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
There is more to life than money, and Jamie is bumping Fred's salary when it needs to be. Coach for life if he wants it or just another cog in a corporation in the NBA. Coach K money is crazy money not saying that he isn't good but, that would make Final 4 expectations every year from a fan base. Does anyone know how Duke raises that kind of money to pay him?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron