HOIBALL TURNING INTO HEROBALL

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
I Think the biggest issue this team is having on offense is that we are no longer making extra passes. It has been awhile since i have seen the ball swing all the way around for the wide open 3 like other teams are doing to us. We continue to just focus on the mismatch and try to go 1 on 1 against it. Occasionally it is in the post and we dump it to the other post but beyond that we are just playing pick up gym hero ball.

I think this is rubbing off on the defense as well. They aren't playing together. I still don't understand double teaming crappy players just because, which is on the coach. It was one thing when we had less talent than the other team to double team, but we have more talent at every position and we still double team? doesn't make sense to me. And it is burning us every game.

I don't think the world is ending because of this loss, but it is what separates Kansas and conference championships from teams like us. The regular season champ of this conference deserves a 1 seed no matter how many losses because of the amount of focus it is going to take to accomplish that.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I think it is easy to blame the defense for a lot of things. Just two games ago I thought our defense was excellent against Kansas.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I agree.

I was thinking with McKay in, it would allow or guys to play better perimeter defense.

I was wrong.

These guys just look lost.

cloneteach

Nov 19, 2009
Or maybe the game plan at first was to pack the lane and let them shoot the perimeter shots considering they were dead last in the Big 12 in 3pt%. It didn't work, but we will probably see something similar Monday night in terms of packing the lane. This team shows up when the lights are the brightest so consider me in the "not concerned" camp.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Or maybe the game plan at first was to pack the lane and let them shoot the perimeter shots considering they were dead last in the Big 12 in 3pt%. It didn't work, but we will probably see something similar Monday night in terms of packing the lane. This team shows up when the lights are the brightest so consider me in the "not concerned" camp.
This^^^. If I am not mistaken that was the plan in the tourney against Kentucky back in the Royce White days. They couldn't shoot the three to save their life so pack it in and boom. It happens. You play the percentages and sometimes it just isn't your day. With that said, and all that went wrong yesterday.....two more minutes and we win. There wasn't......we lost. Think we have problems....talk to a Creighton fan.

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Or maybe the game plan at first was to pack the lane and let them shoot the perimeter shots considering they were dead last in the Big 12 in 3pt%.
Maybe they were dead last in 3 pt. % because other teams guarded them closer? Open shots are easier to make.

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
tumblr_inline_n8rx3ioPTj1qzhjwd.gif

Spam

May 21, 2008

Not sure about that, since Don't have the exact quote, but Fred was stated that he was upset about the number of open looks TTU got.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
They also said Fred preached to the team that the Gootch, or whatever his name was, was a really good shooter and that we needed to look out for him.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Holy **** this site is unreadable after a bad loss. All of our fans turn into moronic crybabies who think they can coach better than Fred. Get a ******* grip people.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmjh10

cyowan

Feb 7, 2013
Ames, IA
Holy **** this site is unreadable after a bad loss. All of our fans turn into moronic crybabies who think the can coach better than Fred. Get a ******* grip people.

I don't disagree that this site is unreadable after a loss, but I'm just curious what the response from fans should be on a message board such as this? What exactly are you looking for? Just a "oh well, on the next one."? Is no analysis or opinion allowed? I don't necessarily agree or disagree either way, just wondering what your opinion is.

atlantacyclone

Sep 29, 2007
Fontvieille Monaco
At the end of the day the ball has to go through the freaking hoop to score. Hoiberg was outcoached for once in his life and he doesn't look very happy about it. He did make adjustments but unfortunately it was too late. Like most of our games a bounce here or there makes all of the difference. If we get the call and sink free throws at the end of the game Hoiberg is a genius, if we miss then he is an idiot according to some fans. We had a wide open look to tie the game and go into OT with all of the momentum. Wasn't our day. Let's just make sure it doesn't happen again.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I don't disagree that this site is unreadable after a loss, but I'm just curious what the response from fans should be on a message board such as this? What exactly are you looking for? Just a "oh well, on the next one."? Is no analysis or opinion allowed? I don't necessarily agree or disagree either way, just wondering what your opinion is.

I'll jump in on this. The one that is personally irritating me right now is the sentiment (expressed by several people) that Iowa State has losses like the Texas Tech loss several times per year. That's flat out not true. Or comments about Hoiberg's coaching that are idiotic. Or comments about how our defense is worse this year because Doc Sadler is gone. (not true the defense is better this year).

I am as worried as anyone about the team right now. I have lots of concerns. But I am smart enough to realize that I am just a fan and that in the end, we have a genius coach coaching this team. If the problems can be figured out, he'll do it. If they can't, it won't be because he didn't listen to Cyclone Fanatic advice.

DesignerClone

Dec 13, 2014
I Think the biggest issue this team is having on offense is that we are no longer making extra passes. It has been awhile since i have seen the ball swing all the way around for the wide open 3 like other teams are doing to us. We continue to just focus on the mismatch and try to go 1 on 1 against it. Occasionally it is in the post and we dump it to the other post but beyond that we are just playing pick up gym hero ball.

Totally agree. I tried to say this very thing in an earlier post titled "Blue Collar vs. Blue Blood."

"Hoiball" is blue collar; about moving the ball, making the extra pass, finding the best look at the basket by making defenses move, attacking the rim, 40 minutes of intensity to outwork opponents, i.e. TEAM BASKETBALL. This team gets into long lapses where the team concept stops and the "Heroball" starts, trying to make SportsCenter's top plays with long lobs and extended one on one (sometimes one on three) dribbling sessions. This team doesn't win that way.

This team wins with the concept that the whole is greater than the simple sum of its parts.

CyJack13

May 21, 2010
I'll jump in on this. The one that is personally irritating me right now is the sentiment (expressed by several people) that Iowa State has losses like the Texas Tech loss several times per year. That's flat out not true. Or comments about Hoiberg's coaching that are idiotic. Or comments about how our defense is worse this year because Doc Sadler is gone. (not true the defense is better this year).

I am as worried as anyone about the team right now. I have lots of concerns. But I am smart enough to realize that I am just a fan and that in the end, we have a genius coach coaching this team. If the problems can be figured out, he'll do it. If they can't, it won't be because he didn't listen to Cyclone Fanatic advice.

Not in B12 play, we're 9th in defensive efficiency in conference games this year compared to 6th last year. We're also dead last in B12 conference play in forcing TO's.

isulive2train

Feb 24, 2009
Ciclón Nación
Totally agree. I tried to say this very thing in an earlier post titled "Blue Collar vs. Blue Blood."

"Hoiball" is blue collar; about moving the ball, making the extra pass, finding the best look at the basket by making defenses move, attacking the rim, 40 minutes of intensity to outwork opponents, i.e. TEAM BASKETBALL. This team gets into long lapses where the team concept stops and the "Heroball" starts, trying to make SportsCenter's top plays with long lobs and extended one on one (sometimes one on three) dribbling sessions. This team doesn't win that way.

This team wins with the concept that the whole is greater than the simple sum of its parts.

bill__the_butcher____gangs_of_new_york_by_benji3o3-d6adz5e.gif

:jimlad:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron