Hogue

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
If he's open, he needs to shoot it. He's 3-7 (43%) on the season. Even if he only makes 1 out of every 3, he still needs to shoot it.

Exactly this. Even if he is a career 25% 3-point shooter if he is wide open he needs to take that shot. Let's say he has a 1-4 chance of making it and we have what? a 3-50% chance of getting a long offensive rebound if he misses? You have him shoot that shot if he is open every time. Same reason Hoiberg was yelling at Ejim to shoot that big 3 that he nailed. Statistically you take that wide open 3 in our offense.

The_Architect

Apr 11, 2006
Already one of my favorite players. Ejim, Hogue and Kane are all grown men out there - talk about physical.

Last edited:

Dryburn

Apr 3, 2006
Somewhere in the U.S.
Not that I want it to happen....but I am a lot less concerned about Ejim or Niang getting into foul trouble than I was when the season started. Edozie will help in that regard too, and I hope at some point Percy wakes up.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I liked how he fought ejim for rebounds, hes like this rebound is mine, go get your own.

There was a pre-season story from CFH at the Cyclone club luncheon, talking about Hogue battling Ejim so hard for boards that he actually took two away from Ejim. CFH said he'd never seen anyone take two away. Ejim's response: "over the back" (wink)...

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Sadly, it might not bother Percy enough, which might be part of his problem. Not sure if he wants it enough.

Percy, to me, has one, maybe two games a year where he really looks like he cares about what he's doing. The rest of the time, he just seems flat-footed...slow to move the length of the court, slow in going after rebounds, etc...

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Nothing against Percy but its not like he was highly touted, he was a 3* with A-10 offers, nothing to sneeze at by any means but at the big 12 level he was the type of guy that probably should have redshirted and developed into a contributor his 3rd or 4th year in the program but out of necessity and basically be over recruited by the likes of Niang, Hogue and next year McKay, it seems he's just getting lost in the shuffle. You can even through Thomas in that list, Fred has shown he'd rather go small, even with Niang got in foul trouble. Percy has always jumped out with a solid game every now and then, some where along the line I'm sure we'll need but he def doesn't seemed poised for much more of a role than we've seen him have the last couple years.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Hogue and Kane are going to be nightmares for other teams 1-3 positions at least, both defend very well. There were many times that guys tried to drive baseline on Hogue last night and he stayed in front of them forcing the kickout. VERY nice player for us with a huge motor.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
My wife said that CA needs to make T-shirts for Valentine's day next year that say "I need a Hogue" with hearts.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Hogue set it off in our win against Iowa in that first 5 min of the 2nd half. Deflecting 2-3 passes that led to fastbreak points and scoring some of his own. Kid is an absolute workhorse on the court. IMO, only knock on him is sometimes he tries too hard. I imagine he's gonna turn up the volume even more come January. Look the mutha **** out, Big12!