Hogue chewing on toothpick???

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
Wow, thats nuts.. there is no possible way that is allowable. Good luck Hogue, keep doing what you need to do.

It's not illegal. It's not sharp. It looks like it's one of those plastic rounded toothpicks. But it's not illegal.

cyfan964

Oct 22, 2006
It definitely can not be within the rules. That said I don't care. I noticed it in the second game of the season, but didn't say anything. I actually caught it because Naz yelled at him and told him to hide it back in his mouth. I had some close seats for the first game of the season. I also know he had a bloody lip in one game, I thought it was probably from the toothpick, but he claims it has never been a problem.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
Grinding...you've got an old copy of the rulebook, it seems...in the latest revision, 2.12.4.6.32 subsection 142 was removed (regarding the allowable sizes and counts of particulate matter per square foot on the courts during warmups). Obviously, the subsequent sections were renumbered, now making that paragraph subsection 145 in the current revision. It only came out last week, many haven't caught up to it, but as you know, Fred's on top of these things, thus explaining the dirty court drama with Baylor...Drew of course ain't got his stuff together like Dreamy.

I've heard Drew is looking to simplify the rule so it reads "players may have nothing in their mouth longer than 35mm" which would eliminate everything stated in the version referenced in my previous post except Scott Drew's...

Also why do people think this is do definitely illegal? You really think someone bothered to state this in the rules? Who cares if he wants to stab himself in the cheek? It's not like he's got Kane's ninja skills and is going to gouge someone in the eye with it.

Jordanj6502

Jan 9, 2010
Ames
These are the three rules I could find that might make it impermissible.

Art. 1. The referee shall not permit any player to wear equipment that in his or her judgment is dangerous to other players
Art. 5. Equipment that could cut or cause an injury to another player shall be prohibited, without respect to whether the equipment is hard. Excessively long fingernails shall be prohibited.
Art. 6. Equipment used shall be appropriate for basketball. Basketball knee braces may be worn when they are covered properly. A protector for any injured facial bone, even though made of hard material, shall be permissible when it does not endanger other players. Eyeglass and mouth guard protectors are appropriate equipment when they meet the qualifications outlined in this rule

For the first rule, I doubt it is dangerous to another player, but any referee could determine that it is, and therefore be in violation, because it is up to their discretion.
For the 2nd (Art. 5) A toothpick could cut or cause an injury to another player. So it violates that rule.
And the 3rd (Art. 6). It is hard to argue a toothpick is appropriate for basketball and that rule seems like intentionally vague catch-all rule, designed for situations such as this.

Also there is this catch-all rule:
Section 3. Elastic Power
The referee shall be empowered to make decisions on any issues arising during the official’s jurisdiction that are not specifically covered in the rules.

However with all of these rules there is no listed punishment. All that should happen is that he is requested to remove the toothpick from his mouth.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Mystery solved, thanks to Travis Hines:

Toothpicks and Dustin Hogue | Ames Tribune

Still seems dangerous to me, but then I bit through my tongue once when playing basketball, so..........

Great. Somebody on Cyclone Fanatic sees it, then the Ames Tribute publishes an article about it. Scott Drew will probably file a formal complaint and try to get our win taken away. Seriously, I kinda wish it wasn't going to be splashed all over the paper. Let it be his thing.

GrindingAway

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2006
A toothpick seems as appropriate to basketball as the weird pants and shades that Austin was wearing. But I could see a ref possibly asking him to remove it but seems a long shot.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Yeah, the "nut cup" fan in me fears a tight game, last possession for us to dribble out for a 1 pt win and a whistle, "t" signal from the ref and two free throws for the bother team to secure THEIR national championship.

TurbulentEddie

Nov 16, 2012
Madison, WI
Great. Somebody on Cyclone Fanatic sees it, then the Ames Tribute publishes an article about it. Scott Drew will probably file a formal complaint and try to get our win taken away. Seriously, I kinda wish it wasn't going to be splashed all over the paper. Let it be his thing.
I think there's some sarcasm here, but I think it's more that Hines picked it up because Hogue tweeted about it (not sure if in response to anyone) than because CF had a thread.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Yeah, I can't believe he plays with that thing in his mouth. Kinda bad a**, but kinda stupid too. He could get really hurt.

Not to mention someone else on the floor. Imagine a couple guys going up for a board and one of them comes down with a toothpick in their eye.

WastedTalent

Oct 22, 2012
Not to mention someone else on the floor. Imagine a couple guys going up for a board and one of them comes down with a toothpick in their eye.

Shouldn't have been standing there. All rebounds belong to Hogue!!!