high school shot clock

jkclone

Bookie
Jan 21, 2013
Urbandale
I would rather see something that requires them to run an offense. I don't think there is the talent level for a shot clock. Your going to see teams just chuck up a bad shot.

I don't have a problem with teams running time if they are playing. I just don't like when you see teams holding the ball.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Would it be possible to just use a stopwatch like they do for HS football play clocks? Sounds dumb, but then again, I never played a football game at a field that had an actual working play clock, yet delay of games were still called.

Usually the ref would just yell out a warning to hurry up...

rhino3382

Mar 6, 2012
15 min South of Hilton
Would it be possible to just use a stopwatch like they do for HS football play clocks? Sounds dumb, but then again, I never played a football game at a field that had an actual working play clock, yet delay of games were still called.

Usually the ref would just yell out a warning to hurry up...

Shot clocks are more important to the players and coaches in basketball then in football IMO. Plus with the fast pace you would have to have two stop watches just to keep up

IASTATE4LIFE

Apr 22, 2010
I think it should be 2 20 minute halves just like college ball. there should also be a 35 second shot clock. I do think college ball should go to 30 seconds.
issue 1: that college players get a tv timeout every 4 minutes. Just give high school coaches more time outs to use per half.
issue 2: High Schools Can't afford to implement a shot clock. Sell sponsorship for the shot clock. every town has a company or rich individual that would take on that responsibility. And if it is like the small town I group up in, there would be some dad that would buy it for his kid to get playing time.

wonkadog

Apr 17, 2006
Ames, IA
I would rather see something that requires them to run an offense. I don't think there is the talent level for a shot clock. Your going to see teams just chuck up a bad shot.

I don't have a problem with teams running time if they are playing. I just don't like when you see teams holding the ball.

Good luck enforcing the "you have to run an offense" rule.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
thats the problem not all schools have the money to do it i think they should start out with 4A and if its a lot better try to get it in with 3a 2a and 1a

Perhaps this doesn't happen for 4A schools, I don't know, but as a 2A school, we played a lot of 3A schools in conference. Then what? It has to be all or nothing I think.

wcamnclone

Oct 24, 2008
Fargo, ND
Growing up on the border of Minnesota/North Dakota I have seen the shot clock for high school in use. North Dakota has it, Minnesota does not. It definitely helps in the games where some teams look to stall and want to just sit on the ball for minutes at a time.

I believe it was around my freshman year of high school that each state went from the 8 minute quarters to 18 minute halves. I think it was a great adjustment going to halves. Seems to be a greater flow to the game without having the quarter break. The extra 4 minutes of game time didn't add much as far as length of time to the actual game as you don't have the extended quarter breaks to deal with.

Definitely a fan of the shot clock and switching to halves in high school.

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
I'll never forget in the Barnes-McDermott days, Ames won the tip, missed the first shot, Mason City got the rebound, took it to the side, built a "wall" of 4 players, and they just passed it from side to side for a solid minute before the Ames team got sick of it.

Cy83ag

Mar 20, 2010
Earlham
Don't want to see a shot clock. There can be such a disparity in talent at all levels but ,especially in the lower classes. I haven't seen even the poorer teams work the clock for more than a minute at a time. I think this is similar to the 10 second rule trying to be passed in college football, coaches I have talked to aren't real interested in it. You would get games over quicker because a team that tries to work the clock to keep a game close would have to speed up which would increase turnovers and quick easy points for better teams opening up bigger leads faster and getting to the running clock quicker.

istater7

Mar 31, 2010
I like the idea of extending the game to 18 minute halves. As a player I always felt like games went by so fast.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
Shot clock would help, but how about saying if neither team can score 50 pts., both teams are eliminated.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
I remember one of our games in high school, our point guard brought the ball over the half court line and just stood and dribbled for like 5 minutes, if not more. We had the lead and the coach just told them to kill the clock. At one point, us fans started booing our own team. No one wants to pay to get into the game and watch some kid dribble the whole time.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
It needs to happen. They could set a date of 2020 to get the school time to prepare.

They **** away WAY more money at every school than this would cost every year. But that's another thread :jimlad:

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

Define "playing". I've seen a few instances where a team kept getting swatted at the rim and getting the rebound, and therefore had some long possessions. But there have been some of the teams that penetrate and kick out to the perimeter, swing the ball around, and start over again. They're not just standing there holding the ball, but they've got no intention to score, either.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
It needs to happen. They could set a date of 2020 to get the school time to prepare.

They **** away WAY more money at every school than this would cost every year. But that's another thread :jimlad:

This. It just needs to happen no matter what it takes. If not, I hope that the big true DSM metro schools break away (no Ottumwa, no Fort Dodge, no Mason City, etc.), get a shot clock, and try to fill their schedules with Omaha, KC, and Minnapolis schools/tournaments for the non-conference.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010
Those aren't going to fly in the regular season. They have to be placed where everyone -- coaches, players, officials and fans -- can see them. A portable clock isn't going to fit the bill. It also means having to find and train another volunteer to learn the rules and operate it. Some small schools have trouble even finding volunteers to keep a score book on the road.

I think you will eventually see shot clocks at the high school level, there is some buzz about it right now, but it will most likely be the big schools first and on a conference-by-conference basis.

Would it really be that hard to take a portable shot clock and hang it on the ******* wall? If schools have a hard time finding someone smart enough to manage that, then god help them when they try to do anything else. As far as training, any high school kid who watches basketball on TV should know how the shot clock rules work. It's not rocket science.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com

I'm not sure about that. There aren't too many districts in Iowa that have extra cash sitting around that they could use to buy shot clocks. Many of them are talking about cutting programs and/or teaching staff, or raising their property tax levies. Buying shot clocks ain't gonna be very high on the priority list.

The IAHSAA, on the other hand, takes in a crap-ton of money every year from all that tournament/playoff income, especially since they added a whole new round to the football playoffs (with 100% of ticket income going straight to the IAHSAA). If it was that important to the state, they could supply the equipment with practically no affect on Bud Legg's salary.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron