"Hey, look at that freshman!" stories

Sloup

Nov 14, 2009
Ames, IA
This is one of my favorite times of the year: watching freshmen be freshmen. It's hectic, frustrating and... hilarious. Thought it might be fun to hear observations and interactions with the new folks in town.

Yesterday I saw three cars wait behind a stopped taxi on Lincoln Way for a good minute and a half. Big city driving is hard.

K

KFitzy87

I saw some people actually wait for the cars at the crosswalk today... Then I saw the DIS bag on their back.......

K

KFitzy87

Also, about an hour ago I was getting pancakes in seasons and was waiting behind a guy who was standing and observing the maple syrups.... He turns around and asks me, "Is this maple syrup?"... I told him yes...... And wondered how the "MAPLE" on the dispenser didn't give it away.....

Messi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 25, 2011
Cedar Rapids
I'm all for not losing your keys but wearing your keys on a lanyard around your neck is the equivalent of wearing a sign with the word FRESHMAN

Cyclone1985

Nov 18, 2008
Grimes
Maps. Maps everywhere.

Since I was a cool freshman, I studied the route to my class in my dorm room and did not deviate from that path! My first day of school was also the only day I ever dressed up AND showered... didn't make that rookie mistake again.

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
I'm too busy getting a happy feeling down below by looking at them...

stop_touching_yourself_poster-r1b4ec17c8c0e43aabdf3214b43a9f562_22m4_400.jpg

cyclonedave25

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 10, 2007
Chicago, IL
Keys to spotting the typical frosh.
1. Lanyard or DIS shirt.
2. Maps of any kind.
3. Dressing up.
4. Taking every book to class.
5. The "NFFL" aka - the Nervous Freshman Face Look. You know what I'm talking about. When walking to class or sitting in class, you spot that person who looks like they just got to boot camp for the Marines. Like they are trying to hold in a fart. Like they really miss their parents. Like their dog just got kicked.

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
Last night my friend and I were making our way from AJ's to Legacy when this group approached us; consisted of a few guys and a couple girls that were all blackout drunk (at 9:30ish). The second girl proceeded to take a drink of what I suspect was vodka out of a water bottle in her right hand and chase it with an open cup of lemonade in her left. All in the middle of the sidewalk in front of the fire station.

K

KFitzy87

I've also seen multiple guys sporting the flat billed caps on backwards and walking around like they're the big man on campus... That shouldn't last long