Here's what I know about McNeil

acgclone

Feb 21, 2007
If McNeil doesn't want to be the face of this program with Lewis and Wigg then take a hike!

Agree. You can't force kids to want to play for you.

If restrictions are all you have to keep kids form leaving, you have bigger issues to worry about.

We're better off (as fans) letting go of this kid and focusing on the players that are all in.

Beyerball

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
Texas
So if they aren't good,it's ok to cut the scholly? So as long as the coach finds them another school to go to, everything is fine?

This is big boy college athletics. If you are a good athlete who actually wants to see the court then 99% of those kids get it and agree with the decision to leave. Nobody but Prohm and the player know what happens. 99% of kids that leave go to another school with the help of the previous staff and end up actually seeing the court and getting a free education..What's the problem exactly?

isu83

May 5, 2010
Players know that if they don't make the cut they could be cut loose. Just the way it is. Sports are played with the intention on winning. Fair or not? That is just the way it is.

As for McNeil, cut him loose. Maybe he found a better fit for himself.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
This is the perfect example of why Hoiberg said bye-bye to college athletics. Don't blame him, recruiting is exhausting and I'm just a fan.

• Winner
Reactions: isutrevman

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
This is big boy college athletics. If you are a good athlete who actually wants to see the court then 99% of those kids get it and agree with the decision to leave. Nobody but Prohm I and the player know what happens. 99% of okids that leave go to another school with the help of the previous staff and end up actually seeing the court and getting a free education..What's the problem?

So no one but the player and Prohm know what happens, but you know 99% have help and want to leave? Gotcha.

erikbj

Aug 31, 2006
hiawatha, ia
Players know that if they don't make the cut they could be cut loose. Just the way it is. Sports are played with the intention on winning. Fair or not? That is just the way it is.

As for McNeil, cut him loose. Maybe he found a better fit for himself.

Then why sign a LOI??? Just never sign and go to whatever school you want in the fall. You signed a contract and you should honor it, if you have any doubt - never sign it and allow another kid have that opportunity

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006
Actually, IMHO, mostly a bunch of people who cannot just state their own opinion and leave it that, they want to argue and argue about it. And that goes for folks on both "sides" of this. :confused:
My opinion: see if you can talk him out of it but if that doesn't work, cut ties 100%. blocking B12 schools would be my preference but I'm not close enough to the situation to get bent out of shape if he's not. I literally don't care about Cal at all

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
I didn't realize Amardi was pushed out for Kane, that's unfortunate if it happened that way. (It worked out well for ISU, of course, getting Kane).

I don't see any parallel with McNeill, though, if it's a schollie situation, we still have 2 openings even if he stays, it's not like he'd be forced into pay-your-way status unless some unexpected major signings are in the works.

Well he also happened to punch his coach and give him a nasty concussion, Armadi that is. Not quite apples to apples.

Goclones1727

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Is no news good news at this point? Good news in the sense that Prohm has him at the very least rethinking the situation?

Since Darius has made it public already that he wants a release, I was expecting that it would be granted the next day or two. The fact that there's been no official word, makes me think there's still a slight chance he stays. If his mind was completely made about leaving, even after conversing with Prohm, it would have been done by now.

Cloned4Life

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 5, 2006
Ankeny
what are the consequences for a school when they push out a player?
No idea. It would be awfully sh!tty to take away an 18yr old kids scolly 2 weeks before he's set to arrive on campus. Grad transfer doesn't bother me as much. They have plenty of options, and ya know, they've already graduated.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
No idea. It would be awfully sh!tty to take away an 18yr old kids scolly 2 weeks before he's set to arrive on campus. Grad transfer doesn't bother me as much. They have plenty of options, and ya know, they've already graduated.

What about the 3rd year bench guy that gets pushed out for a transfer?

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Does everything have to be so hardline around here? I think we all agree that the ethics always depend on the specific situation, and that NCAA rules don't provide great solutions for all parties, and that the business of D1 basketball is harsh. We'll know more about McNeill shortly. Maybe let this rest until it's settled.

Cynonymous

Aug 14, 2015
Scholarships have always been year to year. It is not a 4 year contract.

Actually the Big 12 now has full cost of attendance and multiyear scholarships. If a player doesn't choose to leave, they can stay on scholarship even if they aren't playing. That is, as long as they remain in good standing as a student, and eligible to play.

• Dislike
Reactions: mwitt

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
Prohm should tell him that he isn't going to be going to Cal or anywhere in the Big 12. That he would be a huge asset to Iowa State if he came here, and if he doesn't, good luck.