Here's what I believe

tamjam

Apr 18, 2008
Pants-free Avenue
And so are...

Intuition: Mine says this isn't going to work
Acceptance: I've accepted that while I like Greg and think he's a good coach, it's not working here
Impartiality: I'm able to see through my Cyclone colored glasses to the reality of the dire situation we are in
Excellence: We don't have it

I think if you wanted the definition of a message board ***** slap, it would be this post. Great post! Sums things up nicely.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
I completely disagree with those of you that say that by keeping coach McD we would have a better chance at having a winning program sooner than getting a new guy in here. You have absolutely no facts to back this up. Look at the past four years? McD has not produced 1 upset win or memorable win. There has not been one game where I was able to say at the end, "We weren't as talented as that other team, but we got the win because we out worked them." That is what a coach is going to have to do to win here and that is also was McD has shown he hasn't been able to do.

Here's the way I look at it. We can keep McD around for a few more years, knowing that he's not going to get it turned around, or we can bring in a new guy and have a chance at turning it around.

100% correct.

The available facts we have on the program's level of success:

- The level of success of Gmac's 4 years

- The level of success of the past 4 coaches before Gmac, approximately 25 years worth.

The past 4 coaches all had signficantly more success with ISU basketball than Gmac has had. All available facts indicate we are more likely to have success under a new coach then we are under Gmac.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
I just want to know why you think he can be successful? He has had 4 years and has showed me nothing at all. Cant win on the road, cant beat ranked teams, He cant even beat a team when the spread is against us, cant keep players, and he cant really coach when its crunch time. SO by saying that, in my opinion he doesnt have what it takes.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
Not that anyone cares, but I believe once GMac gets a winning team and a postseason birth, that it will continue on a frequent basis and become the foundation of another long stretch of success for ISU.

He certainly hasn't gotten it done yet. I'd like to give him 2 (maybe 3) more years to get it done.

I think the odds are better that GMac gets there and keeps us there than the liklihood of bringing in a new coach to get us there or use us as a stepping stone if he does get us there...thus putting us right back at square 1.

It sucks, but the better bet is to continue with GMac for 2 or 3 more years. If, at that point, we aren't where we want to be at least we can afford to buy him out and go in a different direction.

Patience is a virtue.

4 years has been long enough. How much have we given him? $3.2 million? So you give $3.2 million away to a guy who's won under 30% of conference games and you want to make that at minimum $4.2? What? Why? Please don't get into business..

cyismydog

Apr 13, 2006
Based on?

What makes you think that he can get it done? We have not had a winning conference record yet. And this year, with Brackins and Gilstrap - we've won just 2 conference games there is a better than good chance we will finish below .500on the season. What part of that spells "year 5 and more"?

Again, what is this based on? Continuity? Sure, it's proven that continuity can lead to success. It's also proven that holding onto a coach too long that can win at that level just further delays the improvement process. I'd be all for continuity in this case if I was seeing improvements in the team/program. I'm not, at all. With exception to a few individual player improvements, there has been no progress made in this 4 year tenure.

Again, what is the "it's better to continue with GMac" based on? And at what cost? Stick with him long enough to make the buyout affordable - but in the process we continue to lose (making this assumption because we have not yet won with him and lose key people going into next season)? And during that more fans decide to do other things with their time and money?

And so are...

Acceptance: I've accepted that while I like Greg and think he's a good coach, it's not working here
Impartiality: I'm able to see through my Cyclone colored glasses to the reality of the dire situation we are in
You think he's a good coach? Funny that you don't say that when you are talking to people outside of this board, such as in Chicago.....

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Also by bringing in a new coach you get the fans excited again, they spend money on season tickets, programs, and clothing. Look at Chiziks first game at iowa state, We had just come from a 4-8 year with little succes and chizik came in and sold out an opening game against south dakota state on a thursday night. Same situation with Rhoads after 2 years of zero success with chizik he comes in and sells out most of the games this season. So yes we would lose money by buying out his contract but i think we would sell more tickets it was a new coach.

marothisu

Jun 15, 2009
NYC
This is what I think:

1. It costs too much money to buy out McDermott
2. It would cost 2.5 or 3 times what we are currently paying McDermott to get a coach that would be an obvious step up.
3. I think he has put us into position to win a lot of games. We haven't done that. That falls on both him AND the players.
4. No one wanted this job in 2003 and not many wanted it in 2006. Not sure why we think anyone would be knocking down the door to come to a school where since 1993 or so no coach has lasted more than 5 years.
5. Despite the cess pool that is this season, I've still enjoyed going to Hilton almost every night. It's still been fun for me.
6. I think a player like Ham is kind of the future of the program. He was close to leaving last year. I wonder if McDermott gets the boot if he would leave this year. Of course, if McDermott stays we probably lose Colvin.

Or you could get a good assistant or someone who has barely coached in the NCAAs. Matt Painter for Purdue is a good example. He head coached exactly one season in the NCAAs before going to Purdue and he's now 105-53 with them (96-34 if you don't count his first season).

Painter's salary, I'm not sure if this is true anymore, but was $835,000 about the same as GMac's

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Based on?

What makes you think that he can get it done? We have not had a winning conference record yet. And this year, with Brackins and Gilstrap - we've won just 2 conference games there is a better than good chance we will finish below .500on the season. What part of that spells "year 5 and more"?

Again, what is this based on? Continuity? Sure, it's proven that continuity can lead to success. It's also proven that holding onto a coach too long that can win at that level just further delays the improvement process. I'd be all for continuity in this case if I was seeing improvements in the team/program. I'm not, at all. With exception to a few individual player improvements, there has been no progress made in this 4 year tenure.

Again, what is the "it's better to continue with GMac" based on? And at what cost? Stick with him long enough to make the buyout affordable - but in the process we continue to lose (making this assumption because we have not yet won with him and lose key people going into next season)? And during that more fans decide to do other things with their time and money?

And so are...

My disclaimer is these are my opinions, beliefs, and pure speculation. You can choose to agree or disagree. It is where I am placing my bets. I may or may not be right, but I believe doing what I indicated in my first post is what is best for the long term stability and success of MBB at ISU.

isuno1fan

Mar 30, 2006
Clive, Iowa
Also by bringing in a new coach you get the fans excited again, they spend money on season tickets, programs, and clothing. Look at Chiziks first game at iowa state, We had just come from a 4-8 year with little succes and chizik came in and sold out an opening game against south dakota state on a thursday night. Same situation with Rhoads after 2 years of zero success with chizik he comes in and sells out most of the games this season. So yes we would lose money by buying out his contract but i think we would sell more tickets it was a new coach.

Attendance was down with Rhoads compared to Chizik...FYI.

It will be up again this Fall.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
You think he's a good coach? Funny that you don't say that when you are talking to people outside of this board, such as in Chicago.....

LMAO! Looks like...

1. I have a stalker that likes to remain anonymous - how brave. Easy to hide behind the interwebs
2. My stalker is wrong and clearly is lacking of his/her knowledge of any conversation I've had about ISU MBB and Greg - whether that be in Chicago or any other city

My disclaimer is these are my opinions, beliefs, and pure speculation. You can choose to agree or disagree. It is where I am placing my bets. I may or may not be right, but I believe doing what I indicated in my first post is what is best for the long term stability and success of MBB at ISU.

And you're quite welcome to your opinion. I disagree with it and asked you to support these beliefs.

clonefreek

Jun 24, 2009
ames
Attendance was down with Rhoads compared to Chizik...FYI.

It will be up again this Fall.

basketball is a little different for ISU, we have had success in the past and the basketball fans are a little more loyal, i mean they have stuck around for 4 years instead of 4 games of football lol

Cyclonestate78

May 23, 2008
I strongly suggest you avoid gambling.

You are incorrect about the odds.

Agreed. 2 or 3 more years at the current GMAC pace and not only will we have about 100 people in attendance for home games but we probably will have to drop Men's Basketball all together. Our athletic budget can't afford the hit that it will take over the next three years if we continue to play at a standard that is less then mediocre for even a Horizon League team.

nb06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 5, 2007
LMAO! Looks like...

1. I have a stalker that likes to remain anonymous - how brave. Easy to hide behind the interwebs
2. My stalker is wrong and clearly is lacking of his/her knowledge of any conversation I've had about ISU MBB and Greg - whether that be in Chicago or any other city

And you're quite welcome to your opinion. I disagree with it and asked you to support these beliefs.

I'm not taking sides, but his full name and like to a facebook page is in his signature which means you could easily find his phone number, address, etc. You are actually the one who remains anonymous.

Just sayin....:mask:

Edit: I see you have you website link posted. I would say its a push. My bad.

Last edited:

westcyedclone

Jan 22, 2010
Waukee
ISU fans deserve better. Greg has done nothing to indicate that he is capable of having success at ISU. I don't know why, sometimes it's just not a good fit. He may go on to have success at another school, but it won't happen for him here. Unfortunately we are buried in a huge contract that ISU can't afford to get out of. We are probably doomed for another 5 years.

CYKOFAN

Mar 27, 2006
Please don't use the excuse that if we get a good coach he will just leave after a few years. That hasn't happened at ISU since we hired Orr 30 years ago except for Tim Floyd, who left after 5 years to go to the CHICAGO BULLS. Orr was forced out, LE was fired with some justification, and Morgan was fired with no justification, so that argument just doesn't hold water. If we get a good coach that has success, why would he leave when we've had some past basketball success here, and one of the greatest atmosphere's for college basketball in the nation?

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Please don't use the excuse that if we get a good coach he will just leave after a few years. That hasn't happened at ISU since we hired Orr 30 years ago except for Tim Floyd, who left after 5 years to go to the CHICAGO BULLS. Orr was forced out, LE was fired with some justification, and Morgan was fired with no justification, so that argument just doesn't hold water. If we get a good coach that has success, why would he leave when we've had some past basketball success here, and one of the greatest atmosphere's for college basketball in the nation?

That is incorrect but no matter what you will never accept it so I will just point it out and leave it at that.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Like it or not people need to accept GMac is not getting fired after this season. He is going to get at least next season for the simple fact that we can't afford to start over again and buyout his remaining contract at this time. We all need to get onboard and hope that he finally can turn the corner here!

joefrog

Apr 29, 2008
Clive, Iowa
Like it or not people need to accept GMac is not getting fired after this season. He is going to get at least next season for the simple fact that we can't afford to start over again and buyout his remaining contract at this time. We all need to get onboard and hope that he finally can turn the corner here!

Hope isn't a ******* strategy. McD cannot coach at the high levels of D1 basketball. That is fact. The guy is running ISU bball straight into the ground, and then digging deeper.

Fire him now, or JP should go at the end of this season for sticking us with him.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron