Heres a db we should be recruiting....

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
I wonder if our staff is looking at this DB...i think with our current status our coaches should drop out there two offers and see if you can bring both as a duo...This is all put in motion because Rich Rodriguez went to Michigan and at the big house, they don't recruit JUCOs period....

A DB and DE...

Blair Irvin
Scout.com: Blair Irvin Profile

Larry Ford
Scout.com: Larry Ford Profile

Especially if as reported that Robertson is gone....this would fill two voids....another top db in case Gray decides to go to OSU which the longer it takes to hear from him, the lower our chance of getting him....Especially with OSU recruiting his partners at Butler in Swanson Miller and Beau Johnson.....

Maybe we could get a duo there, swanson miller is a beast!!!!

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Kmac, is there a period coming up where the coaches can have no contact with potential recruits?? And, does that mean ALL contact or just in person contact??

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
Kmac, is there a period coming up where the coaches can have no contact with potential recruits?? And, does that mean ALL contact or just in person contact??

Wes, there appears to be literally a series of dead and quiet periods coming up between now and signing day Feb. 6th National Signing Day...

Here's the info:

Dead period: Not permissable to make in person recruiting contacts or evaluations on or off campus or permit official or unofficial visits.

Quiet Period: Permissable to make in person recruiting contacts only on the members institutions campus.

December:
Contacts from Dec. 1-15
Quiet Period: Dec. 16
Dead Period Dec. 17-31 Thats today......

January:
Dead Period: Jan. 1-3, 7-10
Quiet Period: Jan. 4-6, 11-12
Contacts: Jan. 13-31

February:
Quiet period: Feb. 3, 8-29
Dead period: Feb. 4-7

Were quiet no more visits as of today...not sure what to expect, i hope we have lined up visits for Jan.....

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
Thanks Kmac!! That's kind of weird, it goes dead-quiet-dead-quiet... I wonder why they do it that way.

Anyway, I'm excited to see who our new players will be. I would have to think that this year's class should be significantly better than last years simply because coach has been here over a year now and has laid a good foundation.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
KMAC, have you heard that these guys are officially reopening their recruitment? Ford would be huge to get if Robertson splits, which from the way it sounds, is a done deal. I'm still holding out hope that we can sway Bedford. I was kind of hoping that McCarney could have gottent that NIU job since he is the main one recruiting him from USF.

Edit: I just did some quick research and saw that Irvin is looking, and K State is after him. I couldn't find anything about Ford, though.

Last edited:

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
KMAC, have you heard that these guys are officially reopening their recruitment? Ford would be huge to get if Robertson splits, which from the way it sounds, is a done deal. I'm still holding out hope that we can sway Bedford. I was kind of hoping that McCarney could have gottent that NIU job since he is the main one recruiting him from USF.

I hear ya DJ....exactly what i thought and if you've seen the pic of Larry Ford.....i just like his look, he looks like one seriously tough son of a gun, now get him workin with Shep and that could be a nasty DE for years to come....Pressure equals picks and incompletions....

No knowledge of them opening recruitment as of yet, however, the coaching staff will be gone to some degree, and especially with JUCO's they have to have that comfort level....If i remember right, we had made some head way with Ford before he selected WVU...but, if he's uncertain of the coaching staff and the system, he may want to jump ship.....WVU is really in a bind, don't be surprised to see a quick hire....here comes the Brian Kelly rumors or Jim Grobe.....

Anyhow, knowing that the DB is in a position that is critical...must mean he's a december grad.....it would be so easy to pluck him. And in my opinion, especially with JUCO players, when you get one, you may get another and another....i.e. Okie state...i think they get Miller, Gray and Johnson from Butler....the prize being Miller....

I don't see Bedford as a realistic possibility at this point...if its not WVU it will be USF for sure....and its not all about McCarney, its about George Selvie....not a bad idea, if Selvie is as big of a stud as they claim he is, Bedford if starting could be sure of single coverage for a while.

I saw in someone elses thread regarding keeping recruits close to the vest...i'm really starting to agree with this....i mean seriously, we've been in with some of these recruits a long time, and have nothing to show for it when a bigger or better program (record wise) comes in and wines and dines and steals our relationship....

Don't be surprised if the commitment list stays quiet for a while....besides gray if we get him at all.....i'm losing hope!!!!

CYKXBUT

Jul 21, 2006
KMAC, here's some hope. I predict Gray will be ours. If it is down to OSU and ISU, OSU has 26 commits (5 being DB's). I like our chances based on that info.

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Im wondering how they can get miller, gray and johnson with 26 committs already. Have some of them gray shirted or something. You would think we would be a good destination for miller and gray because they could have immediate playing time

KMAC_ATTACK

Feb 20, 2007
Waterloo
KMAC, here's some hope. I predict Gray will be ours. If it is down to OSU and ISU, OSU has 26 commits (5 being DB's). I like our chances based on that info.

Excellent point....hope your right...i would like to see singleton a little less next year, watching him back peddle during the Kansas game when he was already playing off 6-7 yards and their receivers knew as soon as he began to backpeddle, they could break off the route and get first down after first down...i threw so many things during that game trying to explain to myself why he was playing off.....nope never found a reason...oh yeah, ummmm they have playmakers out wide!!!!

If they do have 26 commits, they have to be close to a full class.....the most i've ever seen is 30 in one class.....

We get Gray, i would put a full court press on for Miller....that guy is a beast....you put a guy in the middle with Black and our other returners, suddenly our de look better and our dbs look better too....we rarely got any inside push.....and even more rarely ever got one of our ends to apply pressure....if your constantly having to bring 5-6 players to get pressure, there will be some wide open holes....

Start with Gray, Johnson, Benton, then get Miller, Bedford and Irvin and our defense is better in 2008 instead of either 2009 or 2010...

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
I hope swanson miller does start considering us. Im not sure why he dropped us off his list a while ago. He could be playing for the former national defensive coordinator of the year and with both of our dt's graduating he would get immediate playing time. I thought i heard somewhere that was important to him

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
Im wondering how they can get miller, gray and johnson with 26 committs already. Have some of them gray shirted or something. You would think we would be a good destination for miller and gray because they could have immediate playing time

I know I am biased, but ISU would be an easy choice for me. OSU has 4 DB recruits and a couple of ATH recruits so far with lot's of time left to recruit. They have 10 guys listed on the 2007 roster as juniors or younger for DB's, and my guess is that most of those guys will be returning. I know he's a good recruit, but he must think pretty highly of himself to think that he can start right away over 14 other guys.