Here’s How Much Oklahoma QB Spencer Rattler Is Charging For Autographs

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Here’s How Much Oklahoma QB Spencer Rattler Is Charging For Autographs (msn.com)
If there is more room to hate OU, this is another reason. I've got nothing against NIL; it's going to need tweaking though (probably in a major way). Spencer Rattler doing this is just more irritating, especially now.

I hope we beat OU this year, 2x would be awesome! It will be a tough task but it would sure be sweet!!! Same with Texas of course.

• Dumb
Reactions: I@ST1

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Here’s How Much Oklahoma QB Spencer Rattler Is Charging For Autographs (msn.com)
If there is more room to hate OU, this is another reason. I've got nothing against NIL; it's going to need tweaking though (probably in a major way). Spencer Rattler doing this is just more irritating, especially now.

I hope we beat OU this year, 2x would be awesome! It will be a tough task but it would sure be sweet!!! Same with Texas of course.
He's signing autographs at a national sports collectors convention. He should absolutely be charging people for that. It's not like he's charging little kids waiting outside the practice facility. These people are looking to make money off his NIL. Why shouldn't he be able to profit off that?

Thorongil Clone

Gone to Numenor
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 2, 2021

He has a punchable weasel face. Maybe he could sell Spencer Rattler punching balls.

deadeyededric

Dec 12, 2009
Parts Unknown
He's signing autographs at a national sports collectors convention. He should absolutely be charging people for that. It's not like he's charging little kids waiting outside the practice facility. These people are looking to make money off his NIL. Why shouldn't he be able to profit off that?
It makes him a horrible person. If Brock Purdy makes money off his autograph its okay though.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames

I don't have a problem with it. Still a lot of unknowns, but I am curious about:

A. how much interest will there be at $150
B. if he signs a bunch of stuff for free at games, how would that affect the market (pete rose effect)
C. these are still college kids. Outside of a way to funnel money to recruits, how much actual value is there in an autograph that costs money? I'd admit I view this far differently at 50 than 30.
D. When Will McDonald drives him into the turf this year, is he going to ask for his autograph? :cool:

IMO recruiting high character kids is going to be more important than ever because I can see this deal at a minimum causing more teams to act like Texas does if not ruining them for life.

Reactions: chadly82 and t-noah

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
IMO this is what NIL is all about. If some adult wants to spend $150 on autograph more power to Rattler. I am sure the Collector Show has given him some expectation to what he can charge.

Would be curious if Rattler had to pay for a booth and his travel to convention site.

I would guess Rattler has made the item he is signing unique enough to add value to his autograph. aka he is signing a picture with buyer and Spencer or signing a Rattler Sooner jersey.

• Disagree
Reactions: flycy and agentbear

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
IMO this is what NIL is all about. If some adult wants to spend $150 on autograph more power to Rattler. I am sure the Collector Show has given him some expectation to what he can charge.

Would be curious if Rattler had to pay for a booth and his travel to convention site.

I would guess Rattler has made the item he is signing unique enough to add value to his autograph. aka he is signing a picture with buyer and Spencer or signing a Rattler Sooner jersey.
A picture with buyer is essentially worthless

• Agree
Reactions: agentbear

Mar 21, 2021
Kid, we're gonna pay you so, so much money for autographs and what not if you come the U to play ball for us ...
In fact, if you commit to the U, I'll promise you, son, that I'll buy a 100-pack of your autographs for $15,000 each year you're here...and I got a bunch of alumni pals who'll do the same...

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
I think stuff like the autographs will eventually die down when people realize they aren't worth much money but good on these kids for getting while the getting is good.

• Agree
Reactions: awd4cy

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
$150 autographs is chump change

This kid is going to skip his senior year in high school to cash in on a potential million dollar NIL deal at Ohio State. Was going to commit to Texas but the deal isn't allowed under Texas law so off to Ohio he goes.