Help us out--most Cyclone-friendly sports store in Des Moines?

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Hey all:

Currently investigating this for us, but tough to tell online since we live in California. Which of the large sports stores in Des Moines have a substantial Cyclone section and the best service? I'm looking at the Scheels, Bass Pro, DicksSporting, and similar stores, but wanted to get the community opinion before going further. PM or email if you need to. Thanks!

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
Hey all:

Currently investigating this for us, but tough to tell online since we live in California. Which of the large sports stores in Des Moines have a substantial Cyclone section and the best service? I'm looking at the Scheels, Bass Pro, DicksSporting, and similar stores, but wanted to get the community opinion before going further. PM or email if you need to. Thanks!

I am gonna assume it is because you wanna get your merchandise out there? So that would remove Cy's Locker Room from contention right?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I have not been to ****'s Sporting Goods in WDM, so not sure. One thing I notice about Scheel's is that at least they seem to have about the same amount of Cyclone stuff as Hok crap. I was in the Kohl's by Valley West yesterday and was just appalled. Appeared to be about 100 times more Hok crap in a store about 45 minutes from Ames. Bad thing about Scheel's is that it is expensive.

djcubby

Nov 24, 2006
Bondurant
I have not been to ****'s Sporting Goods in WDM, so not sure. One thing I notice about Scheel's is that at least they seem to have about the same amount of Cyclone stuff as Hok crap. I was in the Kohl's by Valley West yesterday and was just appalled. Appeared to be about 100 times more Hok crap in a store about 45 minutes from Ames. Bad thing about Scheel's is that it is expensive.
I would agree with this. Scheel's probably has the largest selection of ISU gear in the metro area. Most stores like MC Sports or Sports Authority might have a few tees, hoodies, and hats, but that's about it.

boone7247

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 15, 2011
Near the City

My mom works in retail in WDM, she says at their store they always have more Hok stuff on the floor, but usually they receive the same amount, ISU gear just sells faster. However, with our FB season in the toilet, I could see Kohl's loading up on Hok gear.

Kagavi

Mar 4, 2013
California
www.kagavi.com
Thanks for the info so far. I am strictly focused on Des Moines as I know what Ames offers. Any experiences with Bass Pro as that is a store I've never been to. Do they have lots of Cyclone gear?

rudiskilz

Apr 28, 2010
West Des Moines
Hey all:

I went to Dicks Sporting goods the 2nd day it opened and they had a large hawkeye section and hardly any cyclone stuff (which surprised me because CFH was coming to do autographs) . I was pretty upset and when walking out some guy semi-dressed up asked how we like the store (im assuming he was a gm or some big wig since it was grand opening) and told him that i was disappointed and he claimed that their truck didn't come in and that they were supposed to be receiving more.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for the info so far. I am strictly focused on Des Moines as I know what Ames offers. Any experiences with Bass Pro as that is a store I've never been to. Do they have lots of Cyclone gear?

I haven't been in there for about two years so not sure. My impression was there wasn't a lot of Cyclone or Hok gear, but I always get tired in that place with the husband and sons looking at fishing gear and just go sit somewhere. It is large, maybe I was missing something.

SerenityNow

Dec 4, 2009
Central Iowa
Scheels has the biggest selection and is on par with the Hawk offerings.

Bass Pro just doesn't carry a lot of sports apparel, regardless of team.

cyhawkdmb

Jul 13, 2010
CB
Bass Pro might not be a bad idea... maybe get in with them at a better deal. But I will give my opinion living in Council Bluffs, I always stop at Sheels in DM a couple times a year to get my Cyclone gear.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
Does Scheels still have the ISU stuff in the back? They used to have the Squakeye and Cyclone stuff side by side. A few aisles of each. But I thought they moved the ISU stuff behind?

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Does Scheels still have the ISU stuff in the back? They used to have the Squakeye and Cyclone stuff side by side. A few aisles of each. But I thought they moved the ISU stuff behind?

Side by side when I walked through there yesterday.

milrtym

Sep 19, 2008
West Des Moines
I was in ****'s earlier this week and they had very little Cyclone stuff compared to Hok. For those thinking that Scheels is expensive (which is true BTW) just wait until you walk into ****'s. You can get the exact same thing from Scheels that you can from ****'s, but cheaper. (Then you can get it even cheaper online from Cy's Locker Room / Fanatics.)

Cyclones423

Dec 30, 2009
Des Moines, IA

I know someone that works at the Kohl's in Ankeny where I noticed the same thing. I was told they get equal amounts of clothes for both teams, it's just that nobody buys the hawk crap so it just sits on the shelf whereas most of the Cyclone apparel sells very quickly.

MNCyGuy

Jan 14, 2009
Des Moines
The only time I've been in Bass pro was last year buying a Christmas gift for my sister's boyfriend. I didn't see much, if any, sports team apparel. It was all hunting and fishing gear as you might expect. Maybe that could change, but it seems like it would be a waste of time for you.

I'll back up previous posters on Scheel's, they always seem to have a roughly equal selection of Iowa and ISU.

oldman

Nov 5, 2009
Pretty sure Bass Pro is for outdoor sports like hunting, fishing, camping. But if they had Cyclone gear, I would NOT buy it from them. IMO their service is terrible and they treat their customers like crap.

cyflier

Apr 13, 2006

I was at Bass Pro last week. They only have a few pieces of collegiate gear, and most of it is in camouflage.

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
When I come back to Iowa once or twice per year I always go to Scheels personally when in DSM for ISU gear.