Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Started lifting at a gym again last week and I already feel the difference in shedding not weight but that kinda 'softness' from a sedentary year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
This is huge. I did a diabetic diet where you eat foods that don't Spike your glycemic rates. Oatmeal, whole grains, yams, rice are all great if you're trying to lose weight.

General rice or does it make a difference between brown and white? I know brown is generally healthier but in general rice I think works.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
General rice or does it make a difference between brown and white? I know brown is generally healthier but in general rice I think works.
When I get questions like this or I wonder the same myself anything's better than processed corn syrup. Small changes maintain over long periods of time will give you the best weight loss because you are more likely to maintain. If you're going to die from obesity then I would say worry about the difference between brown and white rice but for most people just sticking to Rice would make a huge difference.

If you want to be super picky yes the brown is better than the white. Typically anything that's pure white has been processed and therefore will have been broken down or changed from its original state. Complex carbohydrates force your body to work harder to break them down therefore giving you a lower return on energy. That's the biggest reason I eat a ton of protein and just water because you have to use somewhere around half of the energy that you will get from the protein just to digest it. Plus if you're always drinking cold water you have to warm your body temperature all the time. Tiny little changes will amount to a lot over time.

Last edited:

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Saw this pop up on Twitter. Learning the difference between refined and complex carbs is another nuance to diet.

Another thing you can do if you want pasta is cook it then cool it. If you then eat it cold or reheated it is digested slower so there is a lesser glycemic reaction.

• Informative
Reactions: usedcarguy

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
When I get questions like this or I wonder the same myself anything's better than processed corn syrup. Small changes maintain over long periods of time will give you the best weight loss because you are more likely to maintain. If you're going to die from obesity then I would say worry about the difference between brown and white rice but for most people just sticking to Rice would make a huge difference.

If you want to be super picky yes the brown is better than the white. Typically anything that's pure white has been processed and therefore will have been broken down or changed from its original state. Complex carbohydrates force your body to work harder to break them down therefore giving you a lower return on energy. That's the biggest reason I eat a ton of protein and just water because you have to use somewhere around half of the energy that you will get from the protein just to digest it. Plus if you're always drinking cold water you have to warm your body temperature all the time. Tiny little changes will amount to a lot over time.

what do you do for all your protein? I recently calculated my macros and should be getting in the neighborhood of 237g of protein and I can never hit it.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
what do you do for all your protein? I recently calculated my macros and should be getting in the neighborhood of 237g of protein and I can never hit it.
I just do whatever I feel that night. I'm not crazy about going totally lean. I don't go full carnivore and or keto. I did the elimination diets in the past, including the diabetic diet I mentioned earlier. They all work in their own way, but I don't see them as viable long term diets. You also tend to have fluctuations in weight with that approach.

I think whatever works for you is the best answer. If you can't have that fatty steak without having it every night, then don't. For me moderation is best approach otherwise I tend to binge. Tons of water, like half your body weight in fluid ounces daily. No more soda, not even diet. Sleep more. Limit portions, the midwest is out of control with this.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Lol I have some floppy parts that are basically like a nail in my psyche when they jiggle. Good thing though I can actually see my abs. I never even saw those when I was in swimming in high school.

I have been taking a testosterone booster for the last 4 or 5 months and I basically quit exercising more than my job already demands because my body would just hurt too much. I'm still getting leaner even without extra effort so if you're having success with a good routine I would recommend adding a t-booster for anybody over the age of 30 or 35 and the results will be dramatic. (Men of course)

Some of the benefits I noticed outside of your physical appearance from using a t-booster are your mood improves, you sleep better, your appetite is under control, you recover quickly, you have more energy, etc. Basically the fountain of youth was found for men and it's testosterone. Plus your wife or girlfriend will thank you for taking it, wink wink.

once you get on the testosterone booster, are there ever issues coming off of it (as in your body now can’t process calories or other issues?). I always thought testosterone boosters could create potential issues until I heard a (no longer) co worker note he was taking them for energy. Curious do you have to have a prescription for them?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Hey Fellow Fanatics,

This is going to be pretty humbling for me to right this, but I think I gotta or else its only going to get worse. i have a serious problem on my hands. It is one that probably many of us face. We know it's a problem. We know that WE are doing it to ourselves. We feel guilt ever time we make the problem worse. But, we continue with our habits. In my case, it hadn't always been this way, but it is now.

I have got to face the facts. I'm fat. and only getting fatter.

A few months ago, I posted what order at five guys in its respective thread and stated how I spend $25 and don't even get full. I got a barrage of replies about how that's so much food and GIFs of fat bastard from the Austin Powers movies. I did take those as jokes, but I felt AWFUL because I did it to myself.

Well, I've gained 10 pounds since that post. I am now up to 270lbs. I entered college at 170, left 190. My back and knees always hurt. I have EMBARRASING stretch marks on my stomach. I get out of breath just walking up the stairs. My blood pressure is 160/90. None of my clothes fit (and I refuse to bigger clothes since I know it's because I'm gaining weight.

I need things to change or I'm going to die. If not, I'll be stricken with a life of painful knees and disdain for having to walk up stairs.

Therefore, I will begin my weight loss journey on November 1st with a goal of losing 50 pounds by April 1st. If I do not lose the weight, I will donate $400 to one of Cyclone Fanatics Charities. To make sure I'm not cheating, I will be positing my weight every Friday.

I'm writing this post so that I have accountability and to see if anyone else feels the same way and wants to join me.

B.T.W. Feel free to make fun of me for being fat. It will only motivate me.
Just noticed your thread. Not to worry. A lot of us are there or getting there, fat. For me 6'2"+ and typically 210 to 220 lbs. during my working years, no problem, allthough 180-190 lbs. would be better for sure.

Now that I am older and retired, 63 y/o I have realized my weight and B/P have gone up. The doctor says lose weight and diet, oh and here's some meds for B/P and cholesterol, oh and some NIDDM meds too for good measure.

Stubborn as I am, I took the B/P and Cholesterol meds for about a month, then stopped, thinking I would do some light exercise an light diet changes. Didn't help that much.

Well since I'm not a fan of meds, it's now more serious. I'm now skipping breakfast and lunch, maybe some light healthy snacks sometimes in there. I only eat supper, and am exercising a lot more, 40-110 min/day on eliptical, walk/jog, biking.

It's working after about 5 weeks of sticking to it. Losing weight, B/P is slowly getting better. If I don't reach my goals of get the weight under 200 and getting the B/P where it should be, I will go back on the meds. But I wanted to do it naturally.

So how are you doing with you B/P and weight loss?

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
once you get on the testosterone booster, are there ever issues coming off of it (as in your body now can’t process calories or other issues?). I always thought testosterone boosters could create potential issues until I heard a (no longer) co worker note he was taking them for energy. Curious do you have to have a prescription for them?
No it's just a natural supplement. I was already having low T issues before I started taking them. I was completely skeptical, but they help me. My body feels much better. It's only a few percentage point boost, but if you feel sluggish, poor mood swings, trouble sleeping, low sex drive, depression, lack of drive then you could low T. The stuff I take suggests taking a week or two off between 30 day cycles.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Lol I have some floppy parts that are basically like a nail in my psyche when they jiggle. Good thing though I can actually see my abs. I never even saw those when I was in swimming in high school.

I have been taking a testosterone booster for the last 4 or 5 months and I basically quit exercising more than my job already demands because my body would just hurt too much. I'm still getting leaner even without extra effort so if you're having success with a good routine I would recommend adding a t-booster for anybody over the age of 30 or 35 and the results will be dramatic. (Men of course)

Some of the benefits I noticed outside of your physical appearance from using a t-booster are your mood improves, you sleep better, your appetite is under control, you recover quickly, you have more energy, etc. Basically the fountain of youth was found for men and it's testosterone. Plus your wife or girlfriend will thank you for taking it, wink wink.

Think you can still drive the long ball, Frank?

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
In about a month I should be belt shopping for a smaller belt.
I finally broke down and bought a new one rather than continue to drill new holes in my old ones. I'm down about 12" around the waist. Still much fatter than average, but a whole lot better than I was.

I've totally stalled in my weightloss, averaging < 1lb/month. I haven't significantly changed what I'm eating, but I need to start working on portions. I'm making good choices but eating too much. One thing I struggle with is eating when I'm not hungry just because it's "mealtime." Or I do well waiting till I'm hungry for the first and second meal, but then I'm eating "lunch" at 4:30pm and eating again at 6:30 for dinner. I know what to do, I just need to make it happen to get back on track.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I finally broke down and bought a new one rather than continue to drill new holes in my old ones. I'm down about 12" around the waist. Still much fatter than average, but a whole lot better than I was.

I've totally stalled in my weightloss, averaging < 1lb/month. I haven't significantly changed what I'm eating, but I need to start working on portions. I'm making good choices but eating too much. One thing I struggle with is eating when I'm not hungry just because it's "mealtime." Or I do well waiting till I'm hungry for the first and second meal, but then I'm eating "lunch" at 4:30pm and eating again at 6:30 for dinner. I know what to do, I just need to make it happen to get back on track.
12 inches definitely is fantastic. Good job. One “problem” is when you lose weight, you also lose daily calorie burn with them. Only options are to increase your daily activity or lower your intake. I lowered my pre-supper intake drastically. I am usually sitting on 400-600 calories by the time I hit 4:30ish. I will allow myself a little fruit then and then try to keep eating smaller portion than I normally did for supper.

I found if I eat the same things for breakfast and lunch each day, I don’t long for the taste of food at that time so much

Mar 21, 2021
I'll chip in my two cents. Type II diabetes and obesity are epidemic. The cause is improper nutrition, the consumption of unnatural, man-made foods, aka processed foods, made of 3 core ingredients - flour, seed oil (corn, sunflower, canola, safflower, etc), and sugar. The solution is to never again eat any processed food, nothing in a box or a can (sardines excepted), to switch to the natural foods our bodies are evolved to process, the foods we consumed before the First Agricultural Revolution. Those foods are meats, fish, eggs, greens, nuts, summer fruits, perhaps dairy/cheeses. No flour/bread/pasta, no man-made oils, no sugars, so no processed foods.

The 3 macronutrients are fats, carbohydrates and protein. This is a diet much lower in one of those macros - carbohydrates. When you cut down on carbs, by default you are eating more fat, as protein is relatively fixed. So it is a diet low in carbs, high in fat. A high fat diet to lose weight! Some call it LCHF - low carb, high fat. Some call it the ancestral diet, keto, Atkins, whatever. It is eating only the 'real' foods our bodies are evolved to process, and zero 'fake' food. We're wired to burn fat, not sugar. Historically, sugar was very hard to come by - seasonal fruit and perhaps honey. Today it is everywhere - HFCS and frankenfruit 24/7/365. And yes grains are sugars - they break straight down into sugars once ingested.

Simple. Not easy, but simple. Not easy because sharply modifying something as fundamental as eating habits is a challenge, plus we've been led to believe in recent decades that fat is somehow bad! Cut out all sugars, including grains, and all veg/seed oils (stick with a bit of olive oil). Burn fat, not sugar.

If you wish to know more about LCHF, youtube is a fantastic resource. Dr. Robert Lustig on sugar. Low Carb Down Under. Dr. Ted Naiman. Dr. Ben Bikman. Etc.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: t-noah

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I'll chip in my two cents. Type II diabetes and obesity are epidemic. The cause is improper nutrition, the consumption of unnatural, man-made foods, aka processed foods, made of 3 core ingredients - flour, seed oil (corn, sunflower, canola, safflower, etc), and sugar. The solution is to never again eat any processed food, nothing in a box or a can (sardines excepted), to switch to the natural foods our bodies are evolved to process, the foods we consumed before the First Agricultural Revolution. Those foods are meats, fish, eggs, greens, nuts, summer fruits, perhaps dairy/cheeses. No flour/bread/pasta, no man-made oils, no sugars, so no processed foods.

The 3 macronutrients are fats, carbohydrates and protein. This is a diet much lower in one of those macros - carbohydrates. When you cut down on carbs, by default you are eating more fat, as protein is relatively fixed. So it is a diet low in carbs, high in fat. A high fat diet to lose weight! Some call it LCHF - low carb, high fat. Some call it the ancestral diet, keto, Atkins, whatever. It is eating only the 'real' foods our bodies are evolved to process, and zero 'fake' food. We're wired to burn fat, not sugar. Historically, sugar was very hard to come by - seasonal fruit and perhaps honey. Today it is everywhere - HFCS and frankenfruit 24/7/365. And yes grains are sugars - they break straight down into sugars once ingested.

Simple. Not easy, but simple. Not easy because sharply modifying something as fundamental as eating habits is a challenge, plus we've been led to believe in recent decades that fat is somehow bad! Cut out all sugars, including grains, and all veg/seed oils (stick with a bit of olive oil). Burn fat, not sugar.

If you wish to know more about LCHF, youtube is a fantastic resource. Dr. Robert Lustig on sugar. Low Carb Down Under. Dr. Ted Naiman. Dr. Ben Bikman. Etc.
This is basically what I did as part of a Type II management ("reversal") program. Most importantly, my blood sugars are normal when I eat this way even after getting off diabetes meds. If I ever go back to "normal" (carb heavy) diet, my blood sugars will go back to the diabetic range. It's not a cure, just management. Losing 100lbs was just a bonus.

Carbs are actually not an essential nutrient. Your body produces glucose (blood sugar), which is what powers your brain and muscles, from the protein and fat you eat, as well as the fat you wear. There is a mechanism that turns excess protein into glucose as well - if you're eating more protein than you need to support muscle maintenance/synthesis, it's turning into blood sugar. You technically don't have to eat any carbs ever and you'll be fine though probably a little sad.

The only issue I take with the post I quoted is on oils. Oils are fats. Period. But, not all fats/oils are created equal - some are easy for the body to utilize and don't cause heart disease, others aren't. Olive oil is a great one, as is avocado oil. Canola oil, usually just called vegetable oil, is fine. Sunflower, soybean and safflower oils are common bad ones.

When you switch, you have to realize that fat is more calorie dense than carbs (9cal/g vs 4cal/g). So the equivalent caloric intake will be a smaller volume of food. And with most fats being spreads, liquids or inside a protein it can be tricky to manage the quantity. But fat provides more satiety so you feel full faster and longer. So if you use hunger as a guide it provides some self regulation.

The other thing that surprised me was salt requirements. When I started my program 14 months ago, they said that ketosis requires more sodium because your body uses it in the process. They told me to aim for 5000mg/day - double the standard recommendation. I've been doing that, and my bloodwork has improved while my blood pressure has also gone down. That makes sense from an evolutionary standpoint though as to why salt tastes so good. Our bodies are built to run primarily on fats, which requires sodium, which would cause us to develop a taste/desire for salt. If you fuel your body with carbs, you don't need the sodium so the excess does bad things. Eating what tastes good is bad for you.

Ultimately it's a tradeoff. You can eat fat and salt, which tastes delicious, if you don't eat many carbs. Or you can eat lots of carbs, which are also delicious, if you don't eat much fat or salt. But you can't do both. And you can never out-exercise your diet.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013

My problem wasn't what was in the McDonald's hamburger....

It's that I went nearly every day and got 3-5 burgers each time.

• Wow
Reactions: aauummm

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
My problem wasn't what was in the McDonald's hamburger....

It's that I went nearly every day and got 3-5 burgers each time.
I think its both. I don't know which sandwich you're talking about, but consider the regular McDonald's hamburger. It's 80% bun (high carbs). Ketchup (high carbs), onion (moderate carbs), pickle (moderate carbs), mustard (low/no carbs) and tiny little meat party (protein and fat). According to the McDonald's nutrition info, a single hamburger is 31g carbs, 12g protein and 9g fat. Their other burgers go up to 45g carbs. The chicken and fish sandwiches aren't any better because in addition to the bun they are breaded. For comparison, I average < 50g of carbs per day, with half of that coming from non-starchy vegetables (no corn, carrots or peas for example; only veggies that are "leaves or stalks").

Help Support Us

Become a patron