Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
It’s not about how
Much you lose. It’s whether you made the lifestyle change you need to. When I played college football I weighed 275. I joined the Marines after and had to
Weigh below 203 the whole time I was in. That forced me to change my life style and that was key. No more getting two Big Macs and all that. I weigh about 210-215 now pending the time of year.

happy to see you lose weight but hopefully you changed your life style so you can keep it
Off.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
My waistline hasn't suffer TOO much during COVID, but still some. For me, it's really hard to workout at home. I don't mind running, but I don't look forward to it. I have zero at-home equipment so that's really my best option when the gym is closed or during peaking periods. I've looked at buying a set of free weights many times during this, but they are so expensive right now (if you can find them at all).

I'll be thankful to make it through COVID without adding significant additional fat to my frame, and that's as far as I'm willing to go. Anything on top of that is bonus, for me.

I keep saying it but at-home Beach Body workout programs really helped me. Running just stinks. Nothing could be more boring, drawn out, painful, and ultimately ineffective imo. I went from 185 to 155 in about 10 months with no changes to my diet.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Soo if you weigh 200# you try to drink 100oz of water every day? How often do you end up peeing?

It's not as bad as you might think. I started a diet w/ my gf right after July 4th. I dropped 20# and basically just maintaining now. She's dropped 30# and trying to drop another 5. The water intake isn't bad at all; basically just 3-4 large cups throughout the day. But I don't notice myself peeing anymore than I used to prior to the diet.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I keep saying it but at-home Beach Body workout programs really helped me. Running just stinks. Nothing could be more boring, drawn out, painful, and ultimately ineffective imo. I went from 185 to 155 in about 10 months with no changes to my diet.

I started running again in September and couldn't feel more opposite with getting a way better work out than needing about 1.5 hours to walk a sufficient amount of time.

Indoor workouts are the ones that bore me.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
happy to see you lose weight but hopefully you changed your life style so you can keep it
Off.
I feel like this was directed at me even though I wasn't quoted. But you are absolutely right. I've adopted a low carb diet intended to help manage Type II diabetes so it absolutely is a lifestyle change. The medically supervised program I'm on is intended to reduce the A1c (mine dropped from 7 to 5 - diabetic to normal), and they say only that weightloss is possible. But staying on the diet to keep the A1c down will also keep the weight down. I shouldn't really call it a "diet" because it is framed as a different way of eating for the rest of my life to manage my blood sugar.

• Winner
Reactions: Drew0311

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I always debate about posting in this thread because I don't want people to get frustrated at themselves by seeing what I've done. I know that sounds arrogant, but I've been there. In 2017 I was 365. I managed to drop 30 pounds and keep it off myself for about 2 years. But I was (and still am) fat by any standard. I was big enough that nobody noticed that 30lb drop. Seeing a guy at work who lost I think 120lbs last year made what I had done feel insignificant. I'm self conscious about it because I still have to shop for pants in the big and tall section. Part of me is always going to be that 365lb guy who had pretty much given up and accepted that I wasn't going to have to worry about retirement. I don't want to be the source of frustration for those people who are in the position I was just a couple years ago. I also feel kind of bad because most people say its so hard but so far for me its been pretty easy. The new way of eating for me is very low carb (target <30g per day), moderate protein, and enough good fats to be satisfied. Once I got in the groove it became very easy. I have some fairly simple rules I apply whether cooking at home, ordering to-go, or getting fast food. And it turns out I am very comfortable with it. I don't have major cravings, and I'd say I'm almost never hungry. It's been pretty painless. And that makes me feel a little guilty because it's "supposed to be hard." If you've never been in that BMI > 50 range, you just can't relate. Weightloss is a completely different animal with those of us who are/have been in that position.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I always debate about posting in this thread because I don't want people to get frustrated at themselves by seeing what I've done. I know that sounds arrogant, but I've been there. In 2017 I was 365. I managed to drop 30 pounds and keep it off myself for about 2 years. But I was (and still am) fat by any standard. I was big enough that nobody noticed that 30lb drop. Seeing a guy at work who lost I think 120lbs last year made what I had done feel insignificant. I'm self conscious about it because I still have to shop for pants in the big and tall section. Part of me is always going to be that 365lb guy who had pretty much given up and accepted that I wasn't going to have to worry about retirement. I don't want to be the source of frustration for those people who are in the position I was just a couple years ago. I also feel kind of bad because most people say its so hard but so far for me its been pretty easy. The new way of eating for me is very low carb (target <30g per day), moderate protein, and enough good fats to be satisfied. Once I got in the groove it became very easy. I have some fairly simple rules I apply whether cooking at home, ordering to-go, or getting fast food. And it turns out I am very comfortable with it. I don't have major cravings, and I'd say I'm almost never hungry. It's been pretty painless. And that makes me feel a little guilty because it's "supposed to be hard." If you've never been in that BMI > 50 range, you just can't relate. Weightloss is a completely different animal with those of us who are/have been in that position.

Celebrate the win!

Others will find inspiration in your story

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I started running again in September and couldn't feel more opposite with getting a way better work out than needing about 1.5 hours to walk a sufficient amount of time.

Indoor workouts are the ones that bore me.

Beachbody does have a whole lot of options. I'd rather be outside, but our Midwest weather makes that nearly impossible.

I bounce between 5-8 programs to get in different types of cardio. Some are 25 minutes when I don't want to go....but I still push play.

On year 2 of the app and still finding enough to mix it up.

Down 48-ish
8 inches off of the belly

Whatever works for ya

Last edited:

CloneHead

Apr 11, 2006
Last spring I gained 10 pounds and had a difficult time getting rid of the extra weight. I have followed this thread from time to time and it gave me the inspiration to lose the unwanted weight. I started the keto diet in June and lost 25 pounds by the end of August. I reached my target weight and now and I'm in maintenance mode. I haven't been at this weight in 40 years. All told I have lost 50 pounds since I retired in 2011.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
I did Elite Edge's six week 20 pound challenge successfully. With COVID going crazy and the holiday's I am holding off on working out more for the time being.

I just stumbled upon them yesterday looking for jiu jitsu classes for my 8 year old and they really peaked my interest with this. Are their rates reasonable after the 20lb challenge is done? And do their dietitians really get involved with a real customized plan? My issue is not getting home until 6:30 or 7 for dinner (which means I eat whatever the kids had) and being allergic to a bunch of different foods like fruit and most grains.

I can (and do) fluctuate that many pounds over that many days on my own. I’m just looking for help beyond that. I’m 6’6” and hover between 280-300. Ive been in that range since a couple years out of college. When I started college I was riding my bike 250 miles a week, training for triathlons and weighed in at 185. Once my food allergies kicked in, got a job and had my first kid at 25, it all changed. I’d like to get to a built 230-240.

Last edited:

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
The parts I bolded are extremely important and I say that because as someone who's helped people begin their weight loss journey, whether they tell me or not, is a concern for them. They think they will feel hungry for the rest of their lives and have to live with that feeling. And even if it were true, the majority of people aren't mentally tough enough to live with that. So it can be very difficult to understand or explain to people that as you or they begin their weight loss journey and initially may feel hungry in the beginning that as you/they begin to eat much much healthier foods and aren't OVER eating, your stomach shrinks. This means for one that it takes less food to feel full. And secondly, healthier foods, especially healthy fats and healthy carbs (sweet potatoes, whole grains, etc) fill you up as they are nutrient dense compared to garbage type foods like fast food, oils, etc.

Thanks for sharing. I really love the success stories and hope that it helps to set a positive example for all

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
Soo if you weigh 200# you try to drink 100oz of water every day? How often do you end up peeing?
Depends on how I drink the water. It’s essentially 4 of my large hydro flask tumblers worth. If I drink one every 2 hours at work it isn’t terrible. If I have a lag and I play catch up a bit that’s when it really sucks. If I drink 4 throughout 5:30AM until a couple of hours before bed it’s even better. I think a lot of people that are trying to get on the water train drink it way too fast. This leads to discomfort due to them just wanting to get it over with.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I’ve began working out again the last 6 weeks. Lifting mostly. Drinking a lot of water though out the day. I’ve done this before but have never noticed how much I piss now or at night. I’m mid thirties and not “overweight” per se. Just trying to get a little of my sexy back but damn, I’m tired of pissing all the time.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Depends on how I drink the water. It’s essentially 4 of my large hydro flask tumblers worth. If I drink one every 2 hours at work it isn’t terrible. If I have a lag and I play catch up a bit that’s when it really sucks. If I drink 4 throughout 5:30AM until a couple of hours before bed it’s even better. I think a lot of people that are trying to get on the water train drink it way too fast. This leads to discomfort due to them just wanting to get it over with.

I did 80 oz in 25 minutes. Is that good? Well it was Edward Forty Hands and it was technically water.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
We're just over a year since this thread was started. How's everyone doing?

After dropping about 50 lbs last year, I really struggled to start putting muscle back on. I was doing way too much cardio at Farrell's to be able to add any muscle. I switched to lifting 4 days a week about 5 weeks ago. I was just starting to see some real gains on the scale and in the mirror, but COVID started to skyrocket and I've decided to stay away from the gym until after the holidays.

Overall, I'm still about 40 lbs below what I weighed when I started.

I needed a kick in the rear from being inactive from Covid and joined farrells and am going through the 10 week challenge. I think when the 10 week is done, I’ll continue but only do the kickboxing classes MWF and then try and lift on my own the other days. I’m not going for huge gains but I’m pretty sure I can work myself harder lifting weights instead of farrells band day.

Reactions: throwittoblythe

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Now do that, but with Olde English 800
I don’t know how you could do that and not blow chunks. I mean maybe I could of back in the old days but I doubt it. We always did that will Miller high life or Busch light bottles

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I needed a kick in the rear from being inactive from Covid and joined farrells and am going through the 10 week challenge. I think when the 10 week is done, I’ll continue but only do the kickboxing classes MWF and then try and lift on my own the other days. I’m not going for huge gains but I’m pretty sure I can work myself harder lifting weights instead of farrells band day.

Good for you! Congrats on taking a huge step. That program completely changed my approach to fitness and nutrition. I went through the 10 week program in Spring/Summer 2019 in the MSP area. That location was really good about engaging 10-weekers. In fact, the owner would personally go through each weekly food log and give detailed notes on things to adjust or alternatives to consider. Another of the biggest factors to success for me was making friends in my class that we could hold each other accountable. We started to push each other in class and also to do extra classes. I made a friend that did many of those double classes with me. I ended up going crazy with it to win the $1000 prize. I did back-to-back KB classes pretty much every day toward the end of the program. I did something like 77 classes in the 10 weeks. I lost 21 lbs (9.6% body fat lost) and won the $1000 prize. I started at 221 lbs and 26% body fat. As I kept going with the program, I got all the way down to like 174 lbs and 8% body fat at my lowest. My cardio performance was off the charts. I went from struggling to run a 9 minute mile to easily running a 7 minute mile.

I will say, I loved Farrell's, but I found it almost impossible to gain muscle in that program. I think if you end up making that a focus, you have to dial back the KB classes and really focus on strength. The MSP location I went to switched from bands to dumbbells for strength days which was a huge improvement. I hated those damn bands. However, I always kept doing the KB workouts. During one of the fit-member challenges, I was eating over 3,000 calories a day with 200g of protein and I barely gained any muscle. It's just way too much cardio to try and build muscle. I plan to focus on lifting to gain muscle and might consider a Farrell's for a cutting phase.

Today, I'm around 185 lbs and probably 12-14% body fat. I'm staying away from the gym right now due to the holidays and high cases. However, I have recently gotten more into weight lifting. I'd like to get to around 185 lbs at 10% body fat and maintain there.

The biggest thing I took away from Farrell's was realizing that being fit was actually possible for me. Getting up at 4am for a workout doesn't seem crazy anymore because I've done it so many times. I look forward to hitting the gym at the hotel when I'm traveling for work.

PM me if I can help you in anyway. Good luck!

Reactions: clone4life82

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I just stumbled upon them yesterday looking for jiu jitsu classes for my 8 year old and they really peaked my interest with this. Are their rates reasonable after the 20lb challenge is done? And do their dietitians really get involved with a real customized plan? My issue is not getting home until 6:30 or 7 for dinner (which means I eat whatever the kids had) and being allergic to a bunch of different foods like fruit and most grains.

I can (and do) fluctuate that many pounds over that many days on my own. I’m just looking for help beyond that. I’m 6’6” and hover between 280-300. Ive been in that range since a couple years out of college. When I started college I was riding my bike 250 miles a week, training for triathlons and weighed in at 185. Once my food allergies kicked in, got a job and had my first kid at 25, it all changed. I’d like to get to a built 230-240.

Dietician wise...that part is definitely oversold. Their suggested diet is fairly rigid so I would suggest getting with a non-affiliated dietician and working something out with them.

Other than that though I LOVED the workouts. They are hard and challenging but have a ton of variety. I plan to do another challenge after the 1st or when COVID starts to subside some. Price wise their membership is fairly hefty at $150/month I believe. That being said at least at the CR locations class sizes are fairly small (I think the most I ever had in one was 10 people) and it is instructor led and they do a great job of showing you what to do, encouraging you and correcting you when you are doing something incorrectly without being rude. Also the flexible classes were a huge plus for me.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I don’t know how you could do that and not blow chunks. I mean maybe I could of back in the old days but I doubt it. We always did that will Miller high life or Busch light bottles

That malt liquor is harsh. We did Colt 45 one year. Guy I did it with punched me and didn't realize it he has so drunk.

Help Support Us

Become a patron