Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I think the problem is less about daily weighing and more about being married to the number on the scale. My wife lost quite a bit of weight but has plateaued. She gets frustrated until I point out how much firmer and stronger she has become and I ask her how her clothes are fitting her. She feels better when she admits that her clothes are fitting better - and some are even now too big. IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE NUMBER ON THE SCALE!
Yes, absolutely. I've got a long term plan to first focus on shedding fat and once that hits a wall I want to transition to building muscle so I anticipate good weight will be going on. I don't really care what the scale says, but I want to look good naked and get as strong as possible.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
I think the problem is less about daily weighing and more about being married to the number on the scale. My wife lost quite a bit of weight but has plateaued. She gets frustrated until I point out how much firmer and stronger she has become and I ask her how her clothes are fitting her. She feels better when she admits that her clothes are fitting better - and some are even now too big. IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT THE NUMBER ON THE SCALE!
YES! I tell everyone that! The number on the scale is just a number. Its how about you feel, how you think you look, how does your clothes fit etc.

Reactions: VeloClone

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Checking in again since its been a while. Weighed in this morning at 261, which is down 75lbs since I started in Feb and 105lbs (!!!) from my heaviest about 3 years ago. I bought some new pants a while ago because my old stuff was comically oversized, and now those new pants are really starting to gap too. Had to add a couple more holes to my belt. I've lost 10" to 12" around my waist. The rate of weightloss in Aug/Sept has been about half what it was the first 6 months but its still been consistent (10lbs/mo to 5lbs/mo). The end of Aug and beginning of Sept I went a couple weeks without losing any weight but I stayed on track and things are picking up again.

We're entering the worst part of the year with Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years on top of cold weather. Plus I've got a birthday right before Halloween and there are two other birthdays in our house right after New Years. Have to keep on the wagon!

Cybyassociation

Mar 5, 2008
Almost down to my high school weight. Not a goal, but kind of cool

But now.....now a major challenge is here. I still haven't had McDonalds in 2020

But they've pulled out the nuclear option

McRIB is back. Those sonsabitches
I blame the McRib for my increase in weight. Until I lived on my own in small town Iowa, I had never eaten a McRib. Then I tried one for dinner...and another for lunch, two for dinner later that week, then I tried a value meal McRib. I gave myself permission to eat as many McRibs because I had never had one before and damnit look what it's done to me now!

In all seriousness, I don't think I've had one since I moved away, but having children has really cut down on the amount of time I'm able to work out.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
We're just over a year since this thread was started. How's everyone doing?

After dropping about 50 lbs last year, I really struggled to start putting muscle back on. I was doing way too much cardio at Farrell's to be able to add any muscle. I switched to lifting 4 days a week about 5 weeks ago. I was just starting to see some real gains on the scale and in the mirror, but COVID started to skyrocket and I've decided to stay away from the gym until after the holidays.

Overall, I'm still about 40 lbs below what I weighed when I started.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
We're just over a year since this thread was started. How's everyone doing?

After dropping about 50 lbs last year, I really struggled to start putting muscle back on. I was doing way too much cardio at Farrell's to be able to add any muscle. I switched to lifting 4 days a week about 5 weeks ago. I was just starting to see some real gains on the scale and in the mirror, but COVID started to skyrocket and I've decided to stay away from the gym until after the holidays.

Overall, I'm still about 40 lbs below what I weighed when I started.
I got down to 199 in July and have maintained that weight. I would still like to get down to 185 but I guess in order to achieve that I would need to start working out again. Plus all the alcohol calories aren't helping due to just being cooped up in the house all the freaking time.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I got down to 199 in July and have maintained that weight. I would still like to get down to 185 but I guess in order to achieve that I would need to start working out again. Plus all the alcohol calories aren't helping due to just being cooped up in the house all the freaking time.

My waistline hasn't suffer TOO much during COVID, but still some. For me, it's really hard to workout at home. I don't mind running, but I don't look forward to it. I have zero at-home equipment so that's really my best option when the gym is closed or during peaking periods. I've looked at buying a set of free weights many times during this, but they are so expensive right now (if you can find them at all).

I'll be thankful to make it through COVID without adding significant additional fat to my frame, and that's as far as I'm willing to go. Anything on top of that is bonus, for me.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I was at 225 and got up to 237 from August to November. The Derecho did me in and just got out of the routine. Started to eat unhealthy and just fell off the wagon so to speak. Started fresh on Nov 1 going back to the gym doing interval stationery biking and hitting the weight. Check this morning and down to 232. I go to the gym early at 5 am as there are just a handful of people there. Spend 30 minutes on the bike and 30 minutes on weights. I've missed 3 days at the gym since the 1st. I'm sleeping better at night, eating better and not eating past 6:30. Cut back on the sugar!! I feel better. I just made the decision to change. Since it is "no-shave November", I'm also doing that and added the gym into it.

Cybone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I try not to rely on numbers, but I am down a couple of pants sizes thanks to COVID. Not eating and not being able to keep anything in for a couple of weeks got me closer to my goal.

I don’t recommend contracting COVID as a weight-loss tool.

I go back to virtual training with my trainer next week.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
I did Elite Edge's six week 20 pound challenge successfully. With COVID going crazy and the holiday's I am holding off on working out more for the time being.

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
Awesome thread. My highest I was at 241 in 2017. I got down to 210 with a personal trainer and dieting in a 5 month span. Gained some back, got back up to 229. I'm at 219 now. My wife and I bought a Sole Elliptical and Treadmill during covid, and it makes a huge difference. Walking is simple, great exercise, and I don't dread it. I have been doing about 45 mins on the treadmill every day at 3.6 ish MPH. It feels great knowing that I finally have control over my body. My ideal weight is 170, which I haven't been since 2009. The important thing, is I feel comfortable around 210, so I'm not getting super discouraged by slow progress.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Weighed in at 254.8 today. Last time I was in the 250s was summer 2000 between my freshman and sophomore year at ISU. I had kind of plateaued for about 2 weeks at 260 but kept with the plan and have started losing again. Back in maybe July I had to buy a bunch of new pants because my old ones were comically big and I'd been drilling new holes in my belt. At that point my waist size was about 8" smaller. Since then I'm down another maybe 4" based on continuing to add holes to my belt. When I cinch it up, I end up with what look like pleated pants.

I've done it basically all with diet. I haven't worked out consistently since before gyms shut down out here in March. I did just recently finish setting up a garage gym that I need to start using consistently. Screenshot_20201123-133746_Virta.jpg

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Also, I found that taking a probiotic regularly and drinking half of my body weight in ounces for water makes a huge difference. I'm not sure it's the same for everyone, but I feel way less bloated with that combo.
Water water and more water is never a bad thing. All the peeing sucks but man you just feel so much better

Reactions: madguy30

Acylum

Nov 18, 2006
Weighed in at 254.8 today. Last time I was in the 250s was summer 2000 between my freshman and sophomore year at ISU. I had kind of plateaued for about 2 weeks at 260 but kept with the plan and have started losing again. Back in maybe July I had to buy a bunch of new pants because my old ones were comically big and I'd been drilling new holes in my belt. At that point my waist size was about 8" smaller. Since then I'm down another maybe 4" based on continuing to add holes to my belt. When I cinch it up, I end up with what look like pleated pants.

I've done it basically all with diet. I haven't worked out consistently since before gyms shut down out here in March. I did just recently finish setting up a garage gym that I need to start using consistently. View attachment 78262
Wow.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Also, I found that taking a probiotic regularly and drinking half of my body weight in ounces for water makes a huge difference. I'm not sure it's the same for everyone, but I feel way less bloated with that combo.

Soo if you weigh 200# you try to drink 100oz of water every day? How often do you end up peeing?

• Agree
Reactions: TXCyclones