Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
Where they love the governor
you have young kids, right? How do you fit your workouts in with them? Curious how others do it.

I'm a glutton for punishment, so I get up at the crack of dawn (ok, before dawn) to get my running in. My wife and I have tried alternating days, but she's not as excited to get up at 4:30 as I am (and I am not excited about it at all). We got a second hand treadmill and will occasionally use that.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I'm a glutton for punishment, so I get up at the crack of dawn (ok, before dawn) to get my running in. My wife and I have tried alternating days, but she's not as excited to get up at 4:30 as I am (and I am not excited about it at all). We got a second hand treadmill and will occasionally use that.

yeah I'm hoping to get back to AM once a week at least but it sucks when I'm terrible at going to bed on time and the child is still waking at least once overnight.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
yeah I'm hoping to get back to AM once a week at least but it sucks when I'm terrible at going to bed on time and the child is still waking at least once overnight.

How old is the kiddo?

My wife would wake up and feed her in the middle of the night forever. It actually was somewhat beneficial when she'd take a week-long work trip so I could get baby girl trained to sleep through the night. However, once momma came back home, it was right back to bad habits.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
How old is the kiddo?

My wife would wake up and feed her in the middle of the night forever. It actually was somewhat beneficial when she'd take a week-long work trip so I could get baby girl trained to sleep through the night. However, once momma came back home, it was right back to bad habits.

18 months. He's stubbornly persistent and our willpower to listen to him scream for an hour at 4am is low. I might be out of town for a night next month so that could be fun for dad.

CtownCyclone

Really Strong Cardinals
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2010
18 months. He's stubbornly persistent and our willpower to listen to him scream for an hour at 4am is low. I might be out of town for a night next month so that could be fun for dad.

I always dreaded when my wife would be out of town for a while, but the kids always seemed to sleep through when she was gone.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I always dreaded when my wife would be out of town for a while, but the kids always seemed to sleep through when she was gone.

husband has joked as much that this is what will happen. I should just pretend to be gone for a few nights.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Forgive me if you're no longer married but couldn't you just take shifts?

We definitely can and do, it just gets icky when spouse tends to work later than I do most nights so then I either try to get something done with toddler or wait until bedtime. And I hate the latter because that's my only downtime. Suppose as evening light comes back I can do stroller runs mid week too. In the summer time with yardwork, my prime weekend time becomes toddler occupied as well. I was mostly curious how other people make it work and what other arrangements look like.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
you have young kids, right? How do you fit your workouts in with them? Curious how others do it.

Yes. We have a 1 yr old and a 5 yr old. I actually started Farrells when our youngest was 3 months old.

I wish I had a secret to share with you but in reality, I got lucky. First, my wife is a stay at home mom. While her and I split baby duty (I’m not one to ask her to do it all so I could sleep), it still made it just a little easier. Also, our baby slept very well, very early. By 2 months we were getting 8 straight hours.

My best advice is to do your workouts first thing in the morning before anyone else is up. I usually do a 6am workout which requires me to leave the house by 530am. Sometimes I do a 5am workout if I have an early work meeting. I would not have any success going later in the day because I’d feel very guilty knowing my wife was at her wits end at home and asking her to go one more hour without me to help.

A big thing that changed for me was just the mental commitment. When I was doing the 10 week program at farrells, nothing was going to stop me from being at class. There were nights were I got only 4 hrs of sleep, but I still got my workout in. Once I crossed some of those hurdles, any future obstacles seemed smaller. Now it doesn’t sound so crazy to get up at 4am for a workout because I’ve done it so many times. Just knowing it’s possible was a big obstacle that I overcame. Listen to anything by David Goggins. His book really helped me with the idea that there are very few reasons to give in other than what’s inside our head. Legitimate extenuating circumstances happen, but not nearly as often as we make it out to be.

• Informative
Reactions: cowgirl836

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Nice job!

Re: the running yesterday: When I can run, I'm a firm believer in still running on the weekends, and I typically bring running clothes/shoes on vacation with me and get in a couple of good runs while there. I.e., it's ok to remain in good shape even if you're not in the normal lifestyle.

Absolutely! I feel so much better and so less guilty if I get some sort of workout in every day if I can. If I can’t, I really watch my food intake to compensate. I’ve even gotten into the habit of checking out hotel gyms before I book work trips.

Reactions: SouthernCy

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
Over the holidays I finally decided to clean things up and start working out again. Since Jan 6th I'm down 11 lbs and I'm feeling so much better. I've always been a big runner but had a few set backs over the last couple of years so I thought I would take a different approach. I've been doing a lot of core and plyo/cardio workouts and that has made world of difference. The reduction on the scale is one thing but the inches I've lost has blown me away, this is easily the quickest I've seen results. I have really cleaned up my lunches too and that is a huge piece of the equation.

I do Focus T25 and Insanity Max 30 - both cardio/plyo workouts 25 and 30 minutes respectively. Start with T25 (10 weeks) and roll into Max 30 (8 weeks).

As far as kids, it's impossible to keep a morning workout schedule when they're babies/toddlers. Mine were 3 and 4 before I was able to make it work.

SouthernCy

Sep 8, 2019
Listen to anything by David Goggins. His book really helped me with the idea that there are very few reasons to give in other than what’s inside our head. Legitimate extenuating circumstances happen, but not nearly as often as we make it out to be.
David Goggins is an absolute beast. He post to his instagram story every day of a picture of his watch of him getting up at like 4 am. The mental toughness on that dude is insane. Huge fan of his

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
David Goggins is an absolute beast. He post to his instagram story every day of a picture of his watch of him getting up at like 4 am. The mental toughness on that dude is insane. Huge fan of his

Definitely. I listened to his audiobook as motivation when I was first getting started. You definitely start to realize there are very few excuses for not doing something you need to. I love his 0 bullsh*t attitude.

• Agree
Reactions: SouthernCy

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I do Focus T25 and Insanity Max 30 - both cardio/plyo workouts 25 and 30 minutes respectively. Start with T25 (10 weeks) and roll into Max 30 (8 weeks).

As far as kids, it's impossible to keep a morning workout schedule when they're babies/toddlers. Mine were 3 and 4 before I was able to make it work.

I'm doing T25 and it is a hell of a work out. I started with a 4 week "break in phase" and now I feel like I've worked myself up to a point where I can jump in and do the 10 week program. I would also recommend this to anyone who hasn't worked out in a while. I've made the mistake too many times where I go full throttle right out of the gate and I end up either hurting something or just burning myself out.

Reactions: benjay

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I'm doing T25 and it is a hell of a work out. I started with a 4 week "break in phase" and now I feel like I've worked myself up to a point where I can jump in and do the 10 week program. I would also recommend this to anyone who hasn't worked out in a while. I've made the mistake too many times where I go full throttle right out of the gate and I end up either hurting something or just burning myself out.

This is awesome! T25 has a low impact modifier too for those not ready for all of the exercises. I have too much pride for that but 10 years from now might be a different story. :D

I can't recommend Shaun Ts workout programs enough. I don't have to leave the house and the workouts are only 25-30 minutes. For a guy who started with a 23.8 BMI to lose 17 lbs over 26 weeks with no changes to eating/drinking habits pretty much says it all imo.

Reactions: BillBrasky4Cy

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
did Insanity for a few years and that was always a great workout. Should see about breaking them out again but I honestly got sick of them from doing them so much. I was doing the 45-55 length ones.......think I'd need to cut it down to 25-30 to not burn out with current time restrictions.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron