Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
^ regarding my last post on giving up meds, here is a bonus I never would have expected when I essentially went zero carb.

I've had pretty sever seasonal allergies since I was in upper elementary school. Since being an adult, I've had to take two prescription meds every spring and fall to get through the seasons and not be miserable.

While I still had symptoms of allergies this past spring (after going essential zero carb since the previous October), I felt they were lighter. This fall - my symptoms were gone. First time in 35 yrs I didn't need to medicate to get through a fall.

Yes, it is very nice being at an ideal weight but to have the elimination of processed foods/carbs also mean eliminating season allergies? Wow!

I've since read about others experiencing similar results. More proof to me human beings were never meant to eat the way we do in a standard American diet. No, it isn't about portion control or counting calories or hitting the gym X times per week. It is about WHAT you are eating that really matters in the end for both weight and overall mental and health.

Question on this...what counts as the processed foods that you've avoided?

I've read articles that certain foods that are technically 'processed' can still be good for you.

One of those things you have to look deeper into but was just wondering.

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Question on this...what counts as the processed foods that you've avoided?

I've read articles that certain foods that are technically 'processed' can still be good for you.

One of those things you have to look deeper into but was just wondering.

Processed food is prepackaged, multiple ingredients (many you can't pronounce), etc. They can be traditional junk - e.g...Twinkies....or things tghat are normally "sold" as healthy: high fiber energy bar.

They essentially are food sources that don't occur naturally on the planet without man-made manipulation and processing.

The argument goes - has enough time passed in our evolution (considering humans have existed for thousands of yrs) for our bodies to properly handle food that has to essentially be created for us?

Many are concluding "no", once they eliminate processed food from their diet and find out how many health issues they previously had eventually go away. Again...losing weight is just a bonus.

Cy$

Sep 1, 2011
Ames
There are a lot of different ways to do what you’re trying to accomplish. Do some research and find something you’ll stick to.

one question is do you just want to lose weight or also look better? If the second option eat protein and lift weights.

You’ll quit if you hate the food and workouts too much where you absolutely dread doing it. It’s not going to be all fun but there has to be a middle ground.

You should also start now. If you wait until November 1 you’ll forget...

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
As do many....but that is like saying, I know I should give up smoking, but I like it too much.

What ends up motivating people to give these up are health issues that they didn't realize were related to what they were consuming (and you don't know until you try and eliminate for a period of time) Auto-immune issues, pre-type 2 diabetes symptoms, obesity, anxiety/depression, etc.

Look at many people approaching their 50's and 60's. They are all taking meds for something. IMO, they could rid themselves of being dependent on meds if they tried an elimination diet to discover what certain foods (often highly processed and carb heavy) are actually doing to them.

Disclaimer: while I may take in an occasion beer, still spirits (vodka, whiskey, etc) are a fine sub if you need to imbibe from time to time and want to avoid the negative (carb related ) side affects. vodka, soda and a lime - you'll learn to love it. :)

Hey whatever works for you man. I still stand by my point - the gimmicks are really hard to live by. I think some people can still accomplish their goals by shifting their habits a little instead of a lot, which makes it easier to maintain. No-carb is not easy to maintain!

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
I haven’t ever had a weight problem, but I still remember after I left college my doctor recommending incorporating weight lifting as part of my exercise routine, as muscle tissue requires more calories, so long as you fight the urge to eat more because of this. Along with other benefits of strength training that can help with your joints, BP, etc.

Add running, biking, swimming to this and you’ve got a good mix

People tend to forget the simplest exercise is very often the most effective - walking. Just start walking. Get a good pedometer and start with a goal of say 2500 steps per day. Then increase after a week or two. Recently read an article where Jessica Simpson dropped 100 pounds. Her trainer had her walking 14000 steps a day and that was the primary tool though she did sprinkle in some weight training. Personally I shoot for about 10000 (4.5-5 miles) every day. Sometimes I fall short sometimes I go way over. Walking has been so much better for me than running or biking - no pain!

Reactions: CycloneDaddy

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
People tend to forget the simplest exercise is very often the most effective - walking. Just start walking. Get a good pedometer and start with a goal of say 2500 steps per day. Then increase after a week or two. Recently read an article where Jessica Simpson dropped 100 pounds. Her trainer had her walking 14000 steps a day and that was the primary tool though she did sprinkle in some weight training. Personally I shoot for about 10000 (4.5-5 miles) every day. Sometimes I fall short sometimes I go way over. Walking has been so much better for me than running or biking - no pain!
As of the last 2 months walking has been my workout. Probably averaging about 13k a day.
Plus try to get at least one or two 20 minute walks each day. At lunch at work I'll eat then get up and just go out onto the raised floor and walk around for 20 - 30 minutes.

Next step is to motivate myself to go straight home from work and get on the Bowflex three times a week

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN

To add to your point about simplicity: when it comes to strength training, body weight exercises are some of the best. Push-ups and pull-ups are some of the best all-around strength exercises you can do. I might even add some simple squats with or without weights.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
To add to your point about simplicity: when it comes to strength training, body weight exercises are some of the best. Push-ups and pull-ups are some of the best all-around strength exercises you can do. I might even add some simple squats with or without weights.

I do a very simple mini-circuit of bench, arms, lunges that takes about 30 minutes tops that seems to work very well.

Need to check out pull ups as I know it's effective everywhere. Never was a strength of mine at all.

• Agree
Reactions: throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I do a very simple mini-circuit of bench, arms, lunges that takes about 30 minutes tops that seems to work very well.

Need to check out pull ups as I know it's effective everywhere. Never was a strength of mine at all.

Pull-ups have always been a struggle for me. I could never do a single one until about 4 months ago. Now I can do two, maybe three, at a time. I didn't realize until recently how much core strength is needed to do a pull-up.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Pull-ups have always been a struggle for me. I could never do a single one until about 4 months ago. Now I can do two, maybe three, at a time. I didn't realize until recently how much core strength is needed to do a pull-up.

And climbing walls are also good natural ways to work the core.

My core 'work out' is side planks and a bicycle kick type of thing from my back to get the deeper abs and that's all it's taken to help with hip/back issues.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009

I read somewhere that the burpee is like the best full body move. Probably why I hate it so much.

• Agree

capitalcityguy

Jun 14, 2007
Des Moines
Hey whatever works for you man. I still stand by my point - the gimmicks are really hard to live by. I think some people can still accomplish their goals by shifting their habits a little instead of a lot, which makes it easier to maintain. No-carb is not easy to maintain!

I never made the claim "it was easy" and the OP never asked for the easy solution(s). Also, I'm not sure I follow what you consider a "gimmick'....unless you conclude that for thousands of years, early humans were eating a "gimmick" diet. That seems an odd take.

Yes, everyone is different which was the point of my response to you. Until a person eliminates foods for a period of time that can cause many issues for people, they won't discover (or solve) issues they never would have attributed to certain food intake.

There is a reason we've all received "diet advice" for decades, but we keep getting fatter and having more health issues. There is a chance we have been so far off-base, that the "gimmicks" simply aren't enough to counter the long term affects of eating a standard American diet. A drastic change (in terms of modern times.....not human existence) in what we eat may very well be the answer.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I read somewhere that the burpee is like the best full body move. Probably why I hate it so much.

You can also do burpees with a push-up at the bottom for the full experience. :)

I do these with pushups mixed in...little easier on the joints, and for me seems to work the core a bit more as more muscles are used for the 'crunch'.

Reactions: mynameisjonas

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Not trying to derail but this is somewhat related:

what home machines are people using? I’ve been a free weight snob my entire life but space and time is getting tighter and a bonus would be something my wife isn’t terrified of. I’m thinking some combo of an “All in one” Machine with selectable weight dumbbells could work out okay. TIA

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
For someone that can't even come close to doing 1 pull-up, is there a way to help working your way up to doing those? I have a pull up bar but can't do anything close to even 1.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
Not trying to derail but this is somewhat related:

what home machines are people using? I’ve been a free weight snob my entire life but space and time is getting tighter and a bonus would be something my wife isn’t terrified of. I’m thinking some combo of an “All in one” Machine with selectable weight dumbbells could work out okay. TIA
I have a Bowflex that I used consistently before and need to get back into using. Once you get a circuit down in a good order you can switch from one exercise to the next quickly.
Just don't think of the numbers as weight but more as units of resistance. Once you get using it you might have to increase the resistance about every 2 weeks. Sure you aren't going to become Mr Olympia using it but you can get yourself a nice all over muscle tone.