Help! I'm Fat

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by cyclone4L, Oct 21, 2019.

1. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Male
    Engineer
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +7,108 / 233 / -9

I like this approach. Start with little things such as:
    -Portion control
    -drink more water
    -if you drink a can of pop a day, try dropping down to 4-5 a week
    -don't eat food after 8 PM

My biggest issue is lots of foods

This is something I struggle with. I can eat a lot but not feel "full". However, I'm also a picky eater so trying to find things that fill me up that are good for me is tough. I'm not overweight, but I'm definitely not toned like I used to be. Basically just "dad bodding it" at almost 35.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dopey

Dopey Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2009
    Ratings:
    +595 / 66 / -2

Fasting for 24 (or more) hours is something I've done to recalibrate what it means to feel hungry. After that experience, I find myself eating less in the subsequent days.

It's something i told myself i would do weekly... but of course I haven't.

3. cayin

cayin Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Ratings:
    +1,353 / 130 / -1
    My goodness this
    no no please stay the heck away from calorie counting. ThT is the worst thing you can do. Focus on where you get your calories from. If your metabolism is optimized, it won’t even matter if you overeat. Heck it won’t even matter if you over eat for consecutive days in a row. Calorie counting will help you lose weight initially, but it won’t fix your metabolism.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. mj4cy

mj4cy Asst. Regional Manager
    Staff Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Male
    Engineer
    Iowa
    Ratings:
    +7,108 / 233 / -9
    I've been bad lately all around. Just had a breakfast slice of Casey's pizza...oops. Need to start doing little things such as walking more, not eating later at night, cutting down overall amount of soda/booze.

5. cowgirl836

cowgirl836 Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Ratings:
    +16,247 / 390 / -6

I suspected we were in for it when all four ultrasounds the techs commented on how active the baby was. That and think he's inherited his mom's fondness for cuddles so he's great while you hold him and then like thanks but no when you put him down.

6. cycloneworld

cycloneworld Facebook Knows All

Mar 20, 2006
    Civil Engineer
    Urbandale, IA
    Ratings:
    +2,023 / 72 / -0
    Just to add another example to the "you're not alone" group - I'm like many others here. My "normal" body weight seems to be 195-200 (I'm 6'2") but I hit 230 earlier this year mostly due to the fact that I'm traveling 100+ nights annually for work. So eating well is very difficult for me. I got down to 185 2 years ago after training for a half marathon and working out much more. The above intermittent fasting has worked well. I haven't lost a ton of weight (currently around 220) but I've stayed more consistent over the past 6+ months while not really watching what I eat. I just eat less and workout more. I skip breakfast and have a cup or two of black coffee instead. And then eat lunch and dinner with limited snacking. Next step is to more carefully track and watch what I eat but that's been the most difficult part - after a 12-14 day on the road, the last thing I want to do is sit down and eat a salad and still feel hungry.

Goal is to get back to 205-210 in the coming months.

7. madguy30

madguy30 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Ratings:
    +14,041 / 414 / -10
    Yeah I'm not saying to start into a strict regiment or something. OP said it was like fast food every day...maybe start with backing off of that before the official plan begins.

I liken to NYE resolutions. If it's a thing that's an issue, you can work to improve at any time.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Engineer
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +1,679 / 24 / -0
    Our oldest was a great sleeper. Started sleeping through the night at 2 months and kept it up until a sleep regression around age 2. We figured our second would be the complete opposite.

Well, he started out sleeping through the night at about 1 month. A solid 8 hours every night without a peep. But around 5 months he went through a sleep regression and it took 2-3 months for him to get it figured out. We're in a groove right now where he's sleeping about 7 hours at a clip, but we know more sleep regressions are coming.

Every kid is different, as you say. Ours are great sleepers, in general, but go through phases when they're not sleeping.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Living the Dream
    Minnesota
    Ratings:
    +19,983 / 409 / -1
    I still miss the old Nautilus machine circuits from the 1980's. They were designed and set up for just what you are talking about. One set and no rest and proceed directly to the next machine. It was a great system for combining strength training and cardio. You could always repeat the circuit. Of course the worst of the freeweight guys started liking some of the Nautilus machines and would camp their ass on one for their multiple sets while resting minutes on end between each and never letting their ass leave the seat for anyone else actually doing the circuit.

Retired now so can go to gym during off peak times and avoid the competition for machines and weights. Plus less muscle puppies glancing disapprovingly at my relatively light weight routine. I am in the process of rehabbing two shoulder rotator cuffs, throw that in with my age and a 10K runner body type I ain't pushing any yuge weights. :rolleyes:

10. throwittoblythe

throwittoblythe Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Engineer
    Minneapolis, MN
    Ratings:
    +1,679 / 24 / -0
    I can relate to this. Farrell's put my metabolism into overdrive. My goal with the program was to drop 15 lbs. I rolled right past that, but once I got to 30 lbs I was very satisfied and loosened up my eating to enjoy some things I hadn't before (like sweet potato fries, occasional desserts, etc). My metabolism was working so well, it honestly didn't matter what I would eat. I had one week at a twins game where I had 3 hot dogs (with no buns) and potato chips with a couple beers. At the end of that week, I was down 4 lbs from the previous week.

It's actually gotten to the point where it's annoying. It's hard to eat enough calories to keep my body satisfied. I'm burning about 2000 calories a day just being alive, then add in the 500 calories I typically burn in a workout and I'm having to eat 2500-3000 calories a day just to keep pace. Don't get me wrong, it's a great problem to have, but it also feels like I'm eating all...the...time.

11. BoxsterCy

BoxsterCy Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Living the Dream
    Minnesota
    Ratings:
    +19,983 / 409 / -1
    CF should consider starting a sumo school. Got some big boys on board here. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Antihawk240

Antihawk240 Active Member

May 17, 2012
    Ratings:
    +399 / 11 / -0
    I would control your habits not your diet, and drink lots and lots of water.

1) Water is seriously the best way to lose weight. People refrain from it because losing water weight is easy weight. But if you drink 96 oz of water a day (pretty much 5 bottles of water a day) you will lose more weight than refraining from it. Water controls and stimulates your metabolism. You are getting older and like the rest of your body, your metabolism isnt what it was in your 20's. Plus and this is huge for you. Water is a natural lubricant. You will be amazed after 1 week how much your knees, hips, ankles and back will fee by simply drinking till you pee clear every single day.

2) control your habits. Grab a pack of gum, every time you feel the need to eat (out of habit, not because you are hungry) chew gum. Habitual eating is tough to get over. Example, Cyclones are on, I better cook a pizza and eat it during the game. Cyclones will play and you will watch them regardless if you eat that pizza or not.

3) Don't over do it exercising just because you are determined to lose weight. Your body is use to you doing no forms of exercise so it isn't use to the calorie demand for energy. Start with walking 15 minutes early in the morning, or over lunch break. Something to stimulate the body's demand to burn calories.

I use to be able to lose 5 pounds just by thinking about losing 5 pounds. While fortunately I have been able to keep my weight the same as I have always been I have found that chewing gum to battle the habit to eat and constantly drinking water is pretty easy and simple tricks to continue living the lifestyle I do.

Best of luck man! Once you get hang of it, it'll be old hat and you'll look back and be extremely proud of yourself.

• Like Like x 1
  13. CloniesForLife

CloniesForLife Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Ratings:
    +3,421 / 67 / -0
    I am sure a lot of this has been said but here is my advice from my experience. Just note the most important thing anyone can tell you is BE CONSISTENT! Find what works for you and be consistent with it (both with your diet and exercise). Better to slowly and consistently lose what then to yo-yo.

Exercise:
    LIFT WEIGHTS! Find a good beginner weightlifting program and get after it. As a beginner with some extra bodyfat you will be able to put on muscle while simultaneously losing fat. More muscle = more calories burned.

Cardio: Find something you enjoy and go for it! If you're knees hurt I wouldn't recommend pounding away on a treadmill. Biking and swimming are much easier on the knees.

Diet:
    -Make slow changes. Like eating more fruits and veggies and slowly integrate more and more healthy foods. Veggies fill you up with little calorie cost.
    -Don't completely cut off foods. Still eat things you enjoy just in moderate amounts. Completely cutting out foods isn't sustainable. Try to learn to control your eating habits.
    -Focus on eating when your eating. It sounds weird but focus on chewing up your food and eating slowly. It really does help.
    -Cut out liquid calories. This is a hard one if you like beer like me but at the very least cut out any pop and sugary drinks and limit beer consumption. Those calories add up quick and don't leave you feeling full.

You got this!

• Like Like x 1
  14. dfwcy

dfwcy Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Ratings:
    +51 / 11 / -1
    Agree, I am 5`11 and weigh 186 and I am not happy about it and want to lose 10 lbs or so. This place is a damn hog farm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. capitalcityguy

capitalcityguy Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Male
    Des Moines
    Ratings:
    +1,841 / 164 / -10
    LOL....it got me too. The only difference is the label underneath each. The molecules are the same.

16. shagcarpetjesus

shagcarpetjesus Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Ratings:
    +1,204 / 25 / -0
    I’d also recommend 8fit. A busy schedule can quickly become an excuse for not exercising. 8fit is an awesome way to get in a quick 15 min workout that you can do anywhere. 15 min may not seem like much, but it’s better than nothing.

17. 80sClone

80sClone Active Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Ratings:
    +296 / 28 / -3
    If you have any regression after a good start .... don't post it ... you'll get over evaluated and not make the draft.

18. steveocy

steveocy New Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    In 2012 I was up to around 215, by the fall of 2013 I was down below 160. At just shy of six foot the 160 was very hard to maintain and after about a year I was pretty consistently in the 170-175 range. Last fall I hurt my back. It was three months before I could sleep in my bed again after that and six months before I was back to ~90% (it may never get back to pre-injury).

After July 4th this year I was at 205 and I am now back to 180, give or take my morning after coffee time. My thoughts:

Get MyFitnessPal or similar app, a good food scale, and a good set of measuring cups. Use the app and the scale to record literally everything you eat and drink. Measure it all out, don't just estimate. Do this for a month to get the baseline of what you are eating now.

Intermittent Fasting. I do a 16/8. I can do this easily because I have never been a breakfast person. Coffee and go for me. I eat ~1700 calories (when losing weight) during the 8 hours . Lunch at noon and an afternoon snack comes in at 700 Calories. I then have up to 1000 at night. I know that IF is not for everyone and just use it as a suggestion. My willpower is the strongest in the morning. By the time my willpower is low I have plenty of calories left to use.

I don't actually have any restrictions for my diet. I eat what I want, I just make sure at the end of the day I am below the 1700. I have a fitness tracker so sometimes I eat back my calories, but usually I don't. I don't do much exercise. If I really want to get below 180 consistently I need to start. In the past that was the only way for me to go really low.

Two online resources that helped me more than any other. Nerd Fitness (along with the Nerd Fitness Rebellion message boards) and The Art of Manliness. Nerd Fitness is great for information and motivation. The Art of Manliness helps so much for overall life and putting everything together.

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. MLawrence

MLawrence Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Ratings:
    +2,118 / 28 / -0
    Count me in. If there is one thing I fear more than the shame I get from internet strangers about my weight, it's cardiac arrest.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. CycloneDaddy

CycloneDaddy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2006
    Johnston
    Ratings:
    +1,315 / 62 / -19
    Im going to donate $4 per pound you lose from November to April with max of $200. If you lose the 50 pounds and keep it off till August 1 I will donate another $200 for a total of $400. I will let Chris pick the charity he wants me to send the check(s) to.

• Like Like x 10