Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I "cheated" some by getting in shape in my mid-thirties and never getting terribly out of shape after that. Also a bit blessed in not having knees and hips that wore out prematurely in spite of a lot of running and road races back in the day. Half my age peer friends seem to be sporting artificial joints and they didn't do anything after playing HS sports yet were the ones telling me running would hobble me.

I had a conversation a lot like this recently. "Running destroys your knees!"

Ok. Tell me about the people you know. How many have very bad joint issues? People with knee, hip, and back pain.

Now tell me how many of those people ran a lot. None?

The folks who are having the issues are wildly over weight and won't put down the smoke long enough to even think about a workout

Since moving back to the Midwest it's shocking how many people I see hunched over or who can barely walk.

• Agree
Reactions: madguy30

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
The slightly less out of shape dad who is constantly hurting somewhere.

Note that my “best shape of my life” is not a high hurdle.

I like it. But I feel like you need to tie an occupation to it. Maybe your schtick is a full time dad and every time a face comes at you, you stop them and pretend to take a call from one of your kids and have to run out to take care of them. You could be called “Dad-Bod”.

You should feud with a female character that claims you don’t have kids. The crowd is going to pop once she gets her hands on you.

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
I had a conversation a lot like this recently. "Running destroys your knees!"

Ok. Tell me about the people you know. How many have very bad joint issues? People with knee, hip, and back pain.

Now tell me how many of those people ran a lot. None?

The folks who are having the issues are wildly over weight and won't put down the smoke long enough to even think about a workout

Since moving back to the Midwest it's shocking how many people I see hunched over or who can barely walk.

I think part of the problem is just having the right running shoes and making sure to get new ones when the old shoes are beyond their life (which is less than what most people use them to).

Reactions: 2Xclone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I think part of the problem is just having the right running shoes and making sure to get new ones when the old shoes are beyond their life (which is less than what most people use them to).

I also think a lot of heavier peeps think they need more cushioning when they really need something firmer. 200 pound peeps should not be running on soft pillows. I had a hell of time finding the right shoes even though I was a light weight guy built like a 10k runner. Have a ****** up gait where I heel strike and overpronate a bit with the left foot and flatfootedly slap down with the right. Kept getting metatarsal stress fractures and strains in the right foot. Needed support for left and cushioning for right which I didn't hit till Asics came out with their gel pads which gave you gel pads in the metatarsal area and heel within an otherwise decently supportive firm shoe. Of course, when you find the "perfect" shoe they will change and "improve" it so it ain't perfect for you any longer!

Reactions: clone4life82

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
77 year old neighbor used to jog and run in
marathons until he was like 65. Now he limps around and told me he needs his knee replaced but refuses to get it done.

My podiatrist told me with my fused ankle to avoid jogging and running as my other foot will try and compensate to allow me to walk without any kind of limp. While your foot does that, your knees and hips will be affected. Running and jogging are the worst for your knees. I bike and ride stationary bike when I go to the gym. I tried the elliptical but after a 5 days using it my knees just were sore and ached. Biking and swimming are probably the best way to avoid knee pain.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Pretty sure typically pain from running is from something that was already going on even it wasn't felt.

Strengthening around the knee can help.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
77 year old neighbor used to jog and run in
marathons until he was like 65. Now he limps around and told me he needs his knee replaced but refuses to get it done.

My podiatrist told me with my fused ankle to avoid jogging and running as my other foot will try and compensate to allow me to walk without any kind of limp. While your foot does that, your knees and hips will be affected. Running and jogging are the worst for your knees. I bike and ride stationary bike when I go to the gym. I tried the elliptical but after a 5 days using it my knees just were sore and ached. Biking and swimming are probably the best way to avoid knee pain.

Some folks do excessive marathon level mileage for decades and that of course can **** you up as will running with something messed up like your ankle etc. I would be crazy to run with a fused ankle. My only runner friend who has a joint replacement hurt her hip later in life, can't remember that exact incident but it was an acute injury. When peeps compensate for years with one bad hip they can mess up the other to. My chronic metatarsal issue (hurts again today) kept me from marathoning so just did 5k and 10k level mileage. I am always preaching the gossip of the 5k/10K to peeps who have run their marathons. Drive your car, you just don't need to drive it 100,000 miles a year.

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown

Tore my plantar plate using old shoes. I rotate them out much faster now.

I do use some 1970s era sorbothane insoles. Pretty dramatic cushioning, but I pay the price with weight.

Getting fitted and game planning is huge for new runners. (And I can't be classified as a runner. Large dude who plods around)

• Agree
Reactions: clone4life82

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I wear Nike Zoom Pegasus 37 (got them at the Surplus sale for $20) to the gym. I have clip in shoes for biking. Love my Chaco sandals. They are probably the most comfortable shoe/sandal I have ever worn! These along with a pair of Saucony Triumphs were on a list of recommended shoes sandals by my podiatrist. I need more for stability and also have a pair of custom orthotics. No knee issues and my fused ankle has for the most part has been pain free since upgrading shoes.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I'm not a runner (and haven't lifted consistently for years) but I do agree that there is a fairly wide "sweet spot" of activity. Don't do enough, and your body - joints, muscles, whatever - will deteriorate. Do too much - multiple marathons, constant maxing out - and you outpace your body's ability to recover and adapt.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Hadn't seen this thread pop up in awhile so figured I may as well do a progress post as well.

Looks like when last I posted in October had lost about 55, and now i've lost a bit over 75 now to just a touch over 200. Hoping to cross that milestone here soon.

I'd mostly been doing just calorie counting and walking at that point. I've never been much of a a runner before but I started on a couch to 5k plan and did my first 5k on thanksgiving day. Joined a gym as the weather got cold and now run a few miles a few times a week on the track there. I'm not a fast runner by any means (I usually am at about a 12 minute mile pace). Have also taken advantage of the gym to start lifting.. so the weight loss has slowed a little bit, but I've added some muscle

Really looking forward to some warm weather to get outside more.

Last edited:

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Update. My weight stays pretty steady around 215. I think I'm gaining good weight as fast as I lose the bad. I've read articles about your body wanting to maintain a certain weight which is part of the reason we rebound so easily.

Seeing my abs for the first time, doing head stands and other inversions now like crow and several types of planks. Going to eat really healthy when the weather gets better, jog, do heavy bag work outs with systemic body weight super sets and maintain my yoga regimen and see if I can't burn off the last stubborn bit of slop.

Really enjoy reading this live blog and it's one of my favorite threads of all time. Such great information to be found in here.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I walk but hate running. It’s either boring inside or dangerous outside. I can somehow find every hole or root or crack to step or trip on with my crappy vision and my dog hates it too so he won’t go along on security detail.

I do love swimming though and feel like it tones muscles I didn’t know I had. It is also boring though, most exciting when the lifeguards change shift.

Reactions: Marcelason78

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I walk but hate running. It’s either boring inside or dangerous outside. I can somehow find every hole or root or crack to step or trip on with my crappy vision and my dog hates it too so he won’t go along on security detail.

I do love swimming though and feel like it tones muscles I didn’t know I had. It is also boring though, most exciting when the lifeguards change shift.
Try yoga. Low impact, and it helps you mentally as well as physically. I'm assuming you're female with the dog for projection comment? Yoga is incredibly accepting and open to all. I'm one of the few guys that goes but everyone I meet is very high quality character.

Reactions: carvers4math

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota

That's kind of the challenge, finding aerobic stuff that suits you as an individual and isn't too boring to you personally.

I've never had to run or bike with music or anything, got enough going on in my head to keep myself entertained. Plus I don't personally like being acoustically isolated from what's happening around me. Think it helps to be running or biking in the city though, especially the lakes region where there is always something to see around you. Same for running or going walkabout in nature areas. Keep seeing peeps with ear buds in and wondering why they bother coming to a wildlife refuge or nature preserve for a walk and than totally tune out and become completely oblivious to their surroundings. Not judging, to each their own, but I do not understand it but than again I've been a park and refuge fan since I was a little kid.

I get the need for distraction more for indoors workouts. Road stationary bike yesterday and that is less self entertaining. Had a TV screen so watched the second half of one of the WBB NCAA games. Still other things to track like time, resistance, distance, cadence, heart rate etc.....workout stuff. If nothing is on the TV, the music they pipe into LifeTime is pretty decent, no need to pack in my own tunes.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Try yoga. Low impact, and it helps you mentally as well as physically. I'm assuming you're female with the dog for projection comment? Yoga is incredibly accepting and open to all. I'm one of the few guys that goes but everyone I meet is very high quality character.
I do some yoga but only instruction I have had is videos. And definitely need the dog protection, that poor lady bludgeoned with a baseball bat just reaffirms that.

I think I probably need some weight work again. I need to put on some good weight, and last time I gained was when I was lifting more.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
I do some yoga but only instruction I have had is videos. And definitely need the dog protection, that poor lady bludgeoned with a baseball bat just reaffirms that.

I think I probably need some weight work again. I need to put on some good weight, and last time I gained was when I was lifting more.
I do power yoga at Power Life Yoga in Des Moines. Its a combination of body weight exercises, balance, and cardio. Only other thing I've done in my life that changed my body as much as this was swimming in high school.

Cardio is hard and dumb so I just don’t do it except for going on walks when it’s nice outside.
Too much cardio is actually dumb if you're trying to maintain muscle. I encourage my sister and other women to lift weights. The more muscle mass you have the better. You don't have to work out as much once you have the muscle mass, you look more toned and healthy as well as increasing your metabolism overall with the extra muscle.

Last edited:

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
I do power yoga at Power Life Yoga in Des Moines. Its a combination of body weight exercises, balance, and cardio. Only other thing I've done in my life that changed my body as much as this was swimming in high school.

Too much cardio is actually dumb if you're trying to maintain muscle. I encourage my sister and other women to lift weights. The more muscle mass you have the better. You don't have to work out as much once you have the muscle mass, you look more toned and healthy as well as increasing your metabolism overall with the extra muscle.
That power yoga thing sounds perfect if I was closer to DM. Will try and find some resources online. I have lost weight since the doctor told me to gain weight. Was happy he was on vacation when I had to go in for an ear infection.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
That power yoga thing sounds perfect if I was closer to DM. Will try and find some resources online. I have lost weight since the doctor told me to gain weight. Was happy he was on vacation when I had to go in for an ear infection.
It's really improved my quality of life and my core strength is incredible now. You could do these workouts on your own but having the heated room and the group there helps you to push yourself more. Plus getting the customized flows and approaches from different teachers is great.

Reactions: carvers4math