Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Lotta folks killing it in this thread - keep up the good work!

I've tried to refocus again this week since I've been steadily gaining over the past 6 months, from an average of 235 last August to an average of 250 this so far this month. And I haven't been doing any resistance training, so it's very unlikely to be good weight. Four of the last five days I've put in about 15 minutes on our Bowflex Max Trainer (kind of a cross between a stair machine and an elliptical).

Reactions: khardbored

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

I've tried to refocus again this week since I've been steadily gaining over the past 6 months, from an average of 235 last August to an average of 250 this so far this month. And I haven't been doing any resistance training, so it's very unlikely to be good weight. Four of the last five days I've put in about 15 minutes on our Bowflex Max Trainer (kind of a cross between a stair machine and an elliptical).
Wonder if that’s what Lied had when I was in college. A couple of them, we called them the ball bouncers. Because, that’s what they seemed to do if you just had regular boxers on.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Who the hell works out in boxers? Gotta keep the boys cradled! Briefs or boxer briefs only.
Back in early 90s, tighty whities weren’t cool, no such thing as compression shorts just jack straps. So if you hit on the stair master ladies and they needed I rub down afterwards, you weren’t peeling off a jockstrap. Worst was if you “fell out” and had to get the horse back into the barn while working out.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
This thread could be turned into a book. I haven't read it all, but I enjoy checking in periodically and seeing what and how people are doing.

My big problem from really being more healthy and losing a few more pounds is the late night snacks. Vegi and fruit, check. No problem there. I do have an affinity for too much chips and salsa though! Probably not great, the most healthy. And nuts (snack). I like nuts.

Apart from that, lost 35 pounds since April 2021. Diet was pretty steep, only one meal per day. And a lot of exercise, 45-90' of biking, Eliptical, and jogging.

Hard to exercise so much in the winter now but 'I'm still out there jogging 2-3x/wk, 45', gathering and chopping wood for fireplace (all wood covered but some not split) 2-3x/week, walk when I can.

I had gotten down to 187# in early October. Can't seem to get below 190 now unless I eat less or exercise more. I'm 6-2, about 195# now. My start weight last April was 230-235 or so. Feel so much better. A lot of hard work, and I still like to eat, unfortunatley.

Last edited:

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
This thread could be turned into a book. I haven't read it all, but I enjoy checking in periodically and seeing what and how people are doing.

My big problem from really being more healthy and losing a few more pounds is the late night snacks. Vegi and fruit, check. No problem there. I do have an affinity for too much chips and salsa though! Probably not great, the most healthy.

Apart from that, lost 35 pounds since April 2021. Diet was pretty steep, only one meal per day. And a lot of exercise, 45-90' of biking, Eliptical, and jogging.

Hard to exercise so much in the winter now but 'I'm still out there jogging 2-3x/wk, 45', gathering and chopping wood for fireplace (all wood covered but some not split) 2-3x/week, walk when I can.

I had gotten down to 187# in early October. Can't seem to get below 190 now unless I eat less or exercise more. I'm 6-2, about 195# now. My start weight last April was 230-235 or so. Feel so much better. A lot of hard work, and I still like to eat, unfortunatley.
I always assume that I’m going to bounce back 5-10 pounds when I “flatten” out the effort. So if my goal is 200, I figure I need to push to 190-195 and I will rebound to 200ish when I stop the intense focus. I found myself close to what I wanted going into wintertime. I have gained 10 pounds and am going to try to use this slow time to start to reignite my efforts from last year. Mono kickstarted me last year, so let’s see if I can avoid that to get the ball rolling again.

Reactions: t-noah

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I always assume that I’m going to bounce back 5-10 pounds when I “flatten” out the effort. So if my goal is 200, I figure I need to push to 190-195 and I will rebound to 200ish when I stop the intense focus. I found myself close to what I wanted going into wintertime. I have gained 10 pounds and am going to try to use this slow time to start to reignite my efforts from last year. Mono kickstarted me last year, so let’s see if I can avoid that to get the ball rolling again.
Good point about the undershooting and the 5-10 lb rebound! That means if I want to push for say 185# (my college, Navy weight), I've got to shoot for 175-180!

Hopefully your next push doesn't start with Mono or Covid!

My big things have been stopping eating just because I’m bored and us cooking meals at home. I bet we were eating out minimum four times a week before, now it’s probably one and I pay attention to the calories still.
Yes, eating for something to do is a big temptation!

And just think how much money you're saving by eating in more!! Maybe treat yourself to something nice every month or so if you keep to that 'eating out only once/week' schedule!

Reactions: BCClone

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
My big things have been stopping eating just because I’m bored...
I struggle most in the evenings after kids have gone to bed. It's like "alright, day is done, had a pretty good day and a little treat won't hurt anything." Then before I know it I've put down 800 calories of pure carbs. It's also tough with a toddler who constantly has a snack bowl out.

I also feel like I think about food a lot more now than I ever did before I lost weight. Before it just used to be "that sounds good, I'll have that." Now I think constantly about what I'll be having for dinner, and what's in the house for different meals/snacks so I can stay on track. Basically always thinking about what I'm about to eat, what I will eat later, and what I've already eaten, and do those balance out without over/under consuming my daily macro targets.

davegilbertson

Sep 3, 2011
So, I knew COVID and some of the past year (a lot of loss and difficulties in my circle of community) had me putting on some lbs. But a few months back I went to have a health screening, bio, cholesterol etc.

I stepped on, and she started it at 150, and I laughed, "ha, you'll need to slide it a bit more for that". 180, nothing. Excepted. 200, nothing. Expected (this is generally where we'd start using the smaller weight to dial in)

220, nothing. Um, ok, we did start eating fast food 4-5 times a week when things got hard with your friend. And then you did start...

240, nothing. Wait, no. Huh?

I was able to put on an easy 40 in less than 6 months/year. Depression, started some medication, and walking through multiple instances of tragic grief and starting a bad habit of smoking for a few months.

I'm now coming to terms with the shift in mental habits that I formed during that time.

Saw the interview w/ Georges talking about his journey. It was really encouraging.

Little girl on the way in two weeks. I want/need to be healthy for her and my boys.

Peace to you on your journey.
2022 update. I've made an internal vow that gas stations do not sell "food" and have cut out fast food since Jan 1 except for 2-3 instances where we do so as a family. No more second dinners or late night runs.

I didn't get a firm weight, but believe I closed 2021 near 240.

Since that time I've been able to drop ~9-10 lbs, without much more than what I'm consuming or not consuming.

Still noticing some things that I'm not good with in photos and the habits have not been fully created and still have cravings, but they have diminished substantially.

Keep pressing. Goal by end of year if not before is to be back to 195-205 range. But ore than that, enjoying healthy habits.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Bump.

With Covid doing it's Hulk Hogan thing and running rampant through the Twin Cities, I 86'd working out since sometime in December. Took first trip over to LifeTime Thursday. Can't remember my biceps and triceps ever being this sore. Told myself "Hey, old man, been months off so take it easy!" I did back off but apparently not enough. :rolleyes:

First step back and a move to ending my days of wine and chocolate.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Bump.

With Covid doing it's Hulk Hogan thing and running rampant through the Twin Cities, I 86'd working out since sometime in December. Took first trip over to LifeTime Thursday. Can't remember my biceps and triceps ever being this sore. Told myself "Hey, old man, been months off so take it easy!" I did back off but apparently not enough. :rolleyes:

First step back and a move to ending my days of wine and chocolate.
If you can’t make it out, buy those weighted bat rings they use for warm ups and slip a couple over the wine bottles to add some weight to them.

Seriously, good job, it just takes that first time or two to start getting the habit back. You feel poorly for a week but then start gaining energy.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
If you can’t make it out, buy those weighted bat rings they use for warm ups and slip a couple over the wine bottles to add some weight to them.

Seriously, good job, it just takes that first time or two to start getting the habit back. You feel poorly for a week but then start gaining energy.

Ha, not complaining, just sharing. Sore muscles at 70 are a good thing, shows you still have them. ;)

Thinking of going over now and riding the bike so the lower bod will be sore to. :rolleyes:

Reactions: BCClone

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Ha, not complaining, just sharing. Sore muscles at 70 are a good thing, shows you still have them. ;)

Thinking of going over now and riding the bike so the lower bod will be sore to. :rolleyes:

Keep me posted on the 70s. My kids will be in college when I'm at that milestone

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Down under 200 now, really happy to reach that milestone. Still lifting 5 days a week, probably in the best shape of my life.

These last 7 or so pounds have been a little slower, but that’s probably to be expected.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Down under 200 now, really happy to reach that milestone. Still lifting 5 days a week, probably in the best shape of my life.

These last 7 or so pounds have been a little slower, but that’s probably to be expected.

So what’s your gimmick going to be on the pro wrestling curcuit?

Reactions: clone4life82

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Keep me posted on the 70s. My kids will be in college when I'm at that milestone

I "cheated" some by getting in shape in my mid-thirties and never getting terribly out of shape after that. Also a bit blessed in not having knees and hips that wore out prematurely in spite of a lot of running and road races back in the day. Half my age peer friends seem to be sporting artificial joints and they didn't do anything after playing HS sports yet were the ones telling me running would hobble me.