Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Mar 21, 2021
Ok boys and girls, time for an accountability post. I've gained 10lbs since August. May not sound like a big deal, but after dropping about 130lbs over the prior two years (365 to 235, now at 245) I'm frankly scared to death of regaining all the weight. I've seen two people have similar weight loss, only to be back to their "before" weight a couple years later.

The holidays is a terrible time to do it - temptations and social events make it hard to decline - but I need to really buckle down and take control again. I'm not looking for advice, but making a public post to motivate and hold myself accountable. I know I can do it, but I have to make it happen.
Are you still keto?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Ok boys and girls, time for an accountability post. I've gained 10lbs since August. May not sound like a big deal, but after dropping about 130lbs over the prior two years (365 to 235, now at 245) I'm frankly scared to death of regaining all the weight. I've seen two people have similar weight loss, only to be back to their "before" weight a couple years later.

The holidays is a terrible time to do it - temptations and social events make it hard to decline - but I need to really buckle down and take control again. I'm not looking for advice, but making a public post to motivate and hold myself accountable. I know I can do it, but I have to make it happen.
Just remember to think about portions. Stick to the non sugary type stuff and you can make it through fine.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Are you still keto?
In my head, yes. In reality, no. I got lazy when I saw I could start adding back carbs without my A1c being impacted (started keto for T2D management, which has gone spectacular well - weightloss was an unintended consequence). That's been the struggle. And then I haven't cut back on the protein/fat to keep calories constant.

Like I said, I know what I need to do. It's on me to do it.

Mar 21, 2021
In my head, yes. In reality, no. I got lazy when I saw I could start adding back carbs without my A1c being impacted (started keto for T2D management, which has gone spectacular well - weightloss was an unintended consequence). That's been the struggle. And then I haven't cut back on the protein/fat to keep calories constant.

Yeah, it can be so darned hard to keep the ubiquitous carbs out, especially with others in the household. Congrats on getting T2D under control. I hear many many people have been able to reverse T2D with low-carb. Good luck.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.

A small (5-10 pounds) gain is very common when basically stopping a diet. I know you didn’t officially stop but do admit you did unofficially quit the focus on the diet. Many times it’s just water weight that pops back on. If you were working out hard you may have been partially dehydrated or if you don’t watch your intake, you get some processed foods with high sodium which ties up water.

Know a wrestler who would drink a gallon and half of water daily leading up to a weekend meet and only eat baked chicken breasts and steamed vegetables. He would stop the excess water intake 36 hours before weigh ins and typically flushed close to a gallon of retained water from his system and be 6-9 pounds lighter without really altering too much.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois

Stick to it. Hold the line. Refuse to give in. If you falter, forgive yourself dust yourself off and get back on that horse. It’s what I do and I started at a weight pretty close to your starting weight. There have been fluctuations for sure— I once lost/regained/lost the same 15 pounds about four times- but the trend line has remained downward throughout. I’m 195 now (6’3” F) and am shooting for 175 by the time swimsuit season is back.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I've fallen off a bit. I fluctuate typically but have gone more toward the heavier side of that. Need to lean it up with the food.

Some fasting helps--basically if I'm full I just don't eat--but my issue is it's not consistent.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I've fallen off a bit. I fluctuate typically but have gone more toward the heavier side of that. Need to lean it up with the food.

Some fasting helps--basically if I'm full I just don't eat--but my issue is it's not consistent.
My schedule got messed up with harvest. Couldn’t watch what I ate as much as many times I was grabbing what was available. I rarely packed meals so it would force me to get out at least once a day and take a decent break. I also can get dehydrated during that time so I don’t weigh myself. Stepped back on the scale and I was a couple pounds lighter than last time I logged it. Off pace from my goals but now resetting them and moving forward.

I also took a measuring tape to my waist (as there is talk that that is supposed to be more important than many things) and it is down from before so that is good. Going into this tricky time of year but just bob and weave around what you know you shouldn’t eat and eat some healthy snacks routinely so you aren’t hungry and over eat.

Reactions: madguy30

Mar 21, 2021
My schedule got messed up with harvest. Couldn’t watch what I ate as much as many times I was grabbing what was available. I rarely packed meals so it would force me to get out at least once a day and take a decent break. I also can get dehydrated during that time so I don’t weigh myself. Stepped back on the scale and I was a couple pounds lighter than last time I logged it. Off pace from my goals but now resetting them and moving forward.

I also took a measuring tape to my waist (as there is talk that that is supposed to be more important than many things) and it is down from before so that is good. Going into this tricky time of year but just bob and weave around what you know you shouldn’t eat and eat some healthy snacks routinely so you aren’t hungry and over eat.
Tinned sardines packed in water are a great snack if you can stand 'em!

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
How are people doing with the holidays? Got a little lazy and wasn’t doing workouts due to harvest but the activity there was still having me drop. Well, I popped on a few back (still under the beginning) and just trying to get through Christmas and then try to take the last step that I want.

Positive was I haven’t had to buy much clothes because I had kept a chunk from before and just dropped down into those. Even the suit from then is a little loose.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Was doing pretty well but the last week I've fallen off quite a bit. I've reeled back a bit and that's helped I think.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Got a smart scale and have been using it daily. Pretty cool, shows your body composition, BMI, fat percentage, skeletal muscle, water percentage, metabolic rate, even how many calories you need to remain at the same weight without exercise for a day.

Been carb cycling with Saturday being my cheat day. Finding it's really hard to lose fat without losing muscle. Down 10 lbs in the two weeks since starting. Really like having the instant feed back on my routine.

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
How are people doing with the holidays? Got a little lazy and wasn’t doing workouts due to harvest but the activity there was still having me drop. Well, I popped on a few back (still under the beginning) and just trying to get through Christmas and then try to take the last step that I want.

Positive was I haven’t had to buy much clothes because I had kept a chunk from before and just dropped down into those. Even the suit from then is a little loose.
I actually enjoy buying new clothes that are slightly too small as a motivation. Seems to help and it feels really good when you can finally wear them.

cyclone4L

Jun 30, 2013
Got a smart scale and have been using it daily. Pretty cool, shows your body composition, BMI, fat percentage, skeletal muscle, water percentage, metabolic rate, even how many calories you need to remain at the same weight without exercise for a day.

Been carb cycling with Saturday being my cheat day. Finding it's really hard to lose fat without losing muscle. Down 10 lbs in the two weeks since starting. Really like having the instant feed back on my routine.
I have thrown my scale away.
For me, I cared more about trying to get that number down than actually living a healthy lifestyle. I realized if I just focus on eatin cleaner and eating until I'm not hungry, I stay in a good weight range.

Reactions: BoxsterCy

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Basically didn't do anything all year and got sloppy all over. Been lifting as heavy as I can 4 times a week for the past 5 weeks and have dropped about 9 pounds and gotten stronger. Tracking calories to stay in a deficit but not a huge one so I don't lose what little muscle I have. Cut back from 3 or 4 cans of Diet Coke per day to one, we only eat out about once a week now too.

I did Keto last year and dropped weight super fast but it was just not a sustainable lifestyle for me. Not caring about carbs now, just trying to hit a protein target and not go over calories. 211 lbs now and I'd like to get to 200 by February or March.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Basically didn't do anything all year and got sloppy all over. Been lifting as heavy as I can 4 times a week for the past 5 weeks and have dropped about 9 pounds and gotten stronger. Tracking calories to stay in a deficit but not a huge one so I don't lose what little muscle I have. Cut back from 3 or 4 cans of Diet Coke per day to one, we only eat out about once a week now too.

I did Keto last year and dropped weight super fast but it was just not a sustainable lifestyle for me. Not caring about carbs now, just trying to hit a protein target and not go over calories. 211 lbs now and I'd like to get to 200 by February or March.
If you are lifting hard, I wouldn’t aim at a weight too much. You good go sideways on the scale but be much healthier with increased muscle mass.