Help! I'm Fat - *** Official Exercise and Weight Thread ***

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
Single leg exercises seem to be a bit better for my back also. Can still get a challenging weight but not much load on the spine.

Without weights the front foot still gets a decent load. Grab a couple of 80s and you'll know something is happening. With Bulgarian the lean forward or back hits the quads vs glutes more.

It's a bastard of an exercise
I started doing those Bulgarian split squats more. I like that you can adjust the angle/direction to target different muscles. I both love them and hate them at the same time.

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I know I'm a bit of a broken record about this but I have back/hip issues and yoga has really improved my quality of life. The stretching element alone is great for my condition and doing power yoga has made my core so strong I don't throw my back out anymore. I can just squeeze my core when I'm in those problematic positions and can actually self adjust my spine by just doing certain forms that were impossible when I first started. It's pretty amazing with the right teachers how fast you learn your body. It's more intuitive than you might think.

There are a ton of single leg exercises in yoga and you can really get a strong workout with the right direction and even better it will guarantee you full range of motion into old age. Most people don't have a strong enough pelvis as they get older and is why they lose their balance or have trouble getting around.
doing some occasional power yoga would do me some good. I am not flexible at all (super tight hamstrings) and sitting at a desk all day doesn't help.

Reactions: carvers4math

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
doing some occasional power yoga would do me some good. I am not flexible at all (super tight hamstrings) and sitting at a desk all day doesn't help.
It's probably actually more your hip flexer than you might think. Some of the yoga stuff is basically impossible for modern bodies and it's largely because we sit in chairs rather than on the ground no longer. Check out Yin yoga on YouTube. It's so therapeutic and you let gravity do the work. Just lay in different positions. It's amazing.

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Further testing indicates a fatty liver. I'm not surprised whatsoever given the way I've eaten, well, my entire life.

Good thing a bought the treadmill when I did. Doc says diet, exercise, and weight loss are a must.

Mar 21, 2021
Further testing indicates a fatty liver. I'm not surprised whatsoever given the way I've eaten, well, my entire life.

Good thing a bought the treadmill when I did. Doc says diet, exercise, and weight loss are a must.
NAFLD is epidemic. It is often reversible. Here Dr. Ken Berry explains in 10 min:

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Little behind on this thread because I have not worked out in a month. After a few trips to family doc I got a referral to ortho. Already knew it was C5 or C6 nerve (shoulder blade pain, front shoulder with pain numbing of the thumb and tingling of all digits if you moved "wrong") but ortho confirmed it. Even layman me looking at the xray could see the vertebrae with the bone spurs. Doing some oral steroids and PT starting later this week. MRI if it doesn't settle down in four weeks.

Think whatever the outcome I might be through biking. The bend up at the neck to see might be incompatible with that nerve at my age unless I get a very upright bike. My first ride of the year along with some raking might have been the trigger for this but seeing something physical on the imaging is worrisome. Not like this is likely a one time inflamation.

Wish me luck. Going to gym to do some light weights and maybe 30 minutes on upright exercise bike. Nerve thingy is essentially no change for the most part but going to try some weight sets that I don't think will aggravate it. Already have a routine that works around torn rotator cuffs and most of that should be okay. Going light and maybe only a one set (maybe two) of my usual routine. I have home exercises from PT guy for neck/shoulder area of the angry nerve.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
So thanks to this thread I asked a couple people about creatine and started taking it 3 weeks ago. Holy crap what a game changer if you are lifting. Cut out a full recovery day, way less soreness, and even added weight to just about every lift. Consider my mind blown

• Informative
Reactions: clonechemist

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
So thanks to this thread I asked a couple people about creatine and started taking it 3 weeks ago. Holy crap what a game changer if you are lifting. Cut out a full recovery day, way less soreness, and even added weight to just about every lift. Consider my mind blown
Creatine is also supposed to help improve memory and brain function as well.

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
I'm not sure what your current goals or age are but I would wager that if you eat at a slight surplus right now you would see some strength and size gains that you haven't in awhile. It's one of the few supplements with noticeable effects. And it's cheap and very low risk.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Wish me luck. Going to gym to do some light weights and maybe 30 minutes on upright exercise bike. Nerve thingy is essentially no change for the most part but going to try some weight sets that I don't think will aggravate it. Already have a routine that works around torn rotator cuffs and most of that should be okay. Going light and maybe only a one set (maybe two) of my usual routine. I have home exercises from PT guy for neck/shoulder area of the angry nerve.

Did not die! aka DND :)

Actually went okay other than a couple of exercises I skipped when they made my hand/arm tingle a bit too much for my liking.

Reactions: besserheimerphat

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
What creatine did you get?

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've been doing stronglifts 5x5 for several years. Getting a little bored and seems like my squat kinda tops out at 285 for the 25 reps. Looking to start something different, keeping the squats as a highlight but still changing some things up. Any suggestions?

ScottyP

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I've lost almost 60 pounds over the last 9 months using a variety of things. I've done a combination of high protein, lower carb, low sugar, strength training and walking. I also did intermittent fasting for the first 5 months.

The problem is that because I've lost fat all over my body and my wedding band is really loose on my finger. I was at a hotel pool last week and my wedding band almost slipped off. Any idea how much it costs to get a wedding band re-sized?

• Friendly
Reactions: MJ29 and madguy30

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
Has anyone had experiences, good or bad, meeting with a dietitian at Hy-Vee?

I asked my doctor's office for a referral to a dietitian, and I was told to go to Hy-Vee to meet with one. But I'm hesitant that meeting with a Hy-Vee dietitian would just result in being told why I should buy the most expensive items from the health section. (I'm not a big fan of Hy-Vee, admittedly.)

Unless anyone has found it beneficial?

Nader_uggghhh

Jul 11, 2017
I've been doing stronglifts 5x5 for several years. Getting a little bored and seems like my squat kinda tops out at 285 for the 25 reps. Looking to start something different, keeping the squats as a highlight but still changing some things up. Any suggestions?
20 rep squat program. I don't have the balls for it but it will make you stronger guaranteed.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Has anyone had experiences, good or bad, meeting with a dietitian at Hy-Vee?

I asked my doctor's office for a referral to a dietitian, and I was told to go to Hy-Vee to meet with one. But I'm hesitant that meeting with a Hy-Vee dietitian would just result in being told why I should buy the most expensive items from the health section. (I'm not a big fan of Hy-Vee, admittedly.)

Unless anyone has found it beneficial?

A dietician at Hy-Vee sounds sketchy as F.
They don't have one at the Dr or someone in their offices?

Help Support Us

Become a patron