Heading to Wisconsin

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Have a cabin booked north of Eau Clair next week. Looking for any hidden gems to try. I've been through most of the New Glarus, Potosi, and Linnie beers. I've been drinking a lot of New England style IPAs and pale ales latley bu I am open to just about anything but stouts and sours.
Anyone had anything new latley in Wisconsin?

Dr.bannedman

liberal
Aug 21, 2012
that island napoleon got sent to
user9880_69714.jpg

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Have a cabin booked north of Eau Clair next week. Looking for any hidden gems to try. I've been through most of the New Glarus, Potosi, and Linnie beers. I've been drinking a lot of New England style IPAs and pale ales latley bu I am open to just about anything but stouts and sours.
Anyone had anything new latley in Wisconsin?
I don't know if it's a hidden gem, but Ale Asylum is pretty good. If you like the ipas, try their Hopalicious

cycloneman003

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Not sure if you'll be able to find it in the Eau Claire area but Untitled Art is small Madison area brewery. Their NEAPA is fantastic if you can track some down.

Otherwise, I'm a big fan of Karben4 and Ale Asylum out of Madison as well. Tyranena out of Lake Mills is an underrated one that's worth a shot.

Plenty of good brewing going on in Wisconsin right now, I can attest to that!

azhuth09

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 6, 2012
Des Moines, IA
Oh here we go, Eau Claire is my hometown. If you haven't been there yet the Leinies brewery in Chippewa is pretty cool. Otherwise I'm not sure if you want places to go or beers to try so I'll geek out on both.

Establishments
The Fire House - Essentially El Bait Shop light. I think they are around 60 taps or so and usually you can find a lot of Wisconsin beers that are somewhat uncommon, along with a lot of other good stuff.

Modicum - Newer brewery in Altoona. It's small but everything they do is really good. I recommend Archetype (Dark Ale/ almost Stout), Terra (wet hopped from their own farm), and I've heard really good things about Leafless (lager fermented with local maple syrup) but I haven't had it yet. Not bottling anything yet to my knowledge but get a growler.

Lazy Monk - You can usually find this in grocery stores. They stick very true to German beer styles. I don't know that much will wow you with ingenuity, but everything is pretty good. Not a bad taproom either if you pay it a visit.

Eau Claire Brewing Projekt - Located downtown by Lazy Monk, it's basically the exact opposite. Their Gun Powder IPA (West Coast IPA with green tea) is pretty good, and about the most normal beer they have. They will do a lot of different stuff in very small batches. If you feel adventurous go here. I think they sell 4 packs of cans in grocery stores.

Other WI Beers
These all should be readily available in grocery stores. Your best bet for variety and price in EC are Woodmans, Festival Foods, and the Coffee Grounds.

Ale Asylum- Located in Madison. Everything they do is really good.

Karben 4 - Another Madison one Fantasy Factory is their flagship.

Sand Creek Brewing - Out of Black River Falls (about 1/2 hour south of EC). Oscar's Stout is really good. I was there a couple weeks ago and had a Scottish ale brewed with elderberries it came in at 11% dangerously good. They also have some hard lemonades that are good for the ladies if you need that.

Capitol Brewing - Makes a beer called Supper Club. It's really easy drinking in between those heavy IPA's. Think Spotted Cow but less hyped and better tasting.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
Oh here we go, Eau Claire is my hometown. If you haven't been there yet the Leinies brewery in Chippewa is pretty cool. Otherwise I'm not sure if you want places to go or beers to try so I'll geek out on both.

Establishments
The Fire House -
Modicum -
Lazy Monk
Eau Claire Brewing Projekt

Other WI Beers
These all should be readily available in grocery stores. Your best bet for variety and price in EC are Woodmans, Festival Foods, and the Coffee Grounds.

Ale Asylum- Located in Madison. Everything they do is really good.

Karben 4 - Another Madison one Fantasy Factory is their flagship.

Sand Creek Brewing - Out of Black River Falls (about 1/2 hour south of EC). Oscar's Stout is really good. I was there a couple weeks ago and had a Scottish ale brewed with elderberries it came in at 11% dangerously good. They also have some hard lemonades that are good for the ladies if you need that.

Capitol Brewing - Makes a beer called Supper Club. It's really easy drinking in between those heavy IPA's. Think Spotted Cow but less hyped and better tasting.

Thanks, actually we are staying at Chetek but if we get a rainy day we may venture down to Eau Clair. I will watch for some of those in the local grocery and liquor stores

Entropy

Oct 27, 2008
Cedar Rapids, IA
My buddy isn't opening up his brew pub until this fall in Rice Lake, so no go on local beer outside of what's already known.

I can provide some advice on restaurants in the area.

I would actually look at Duluth as a potential goal for a good beer run. Bent Paddle and Fitger's Brewhouse are both excellent. Lake Superior Brewing company is also good.

Last edited:

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
I second and third the Ale Asylum. Hopilicious is definitely worth a try (my favorite beer). Also keep an eye out for One Barrel, another Madison brewery (though not sure what their distribution is up north). Milwaukee also has some great breweries. Lake Front is awesome. Good City is another one I would try. Really just go into any bar or liquor store and see what's local. Wisconsin brewing is killer!

mfelske

Mar 20, 2006
Wisconsin
Some of my favorites: Brewing Projekt, Central Waters and O'so. All put out quality product.

I've heard excellent things about Modicum, but haven't been able to stop in there. If you make it to Chippewa Falls, Tomahawm Room is a bit of a dive bar with excellent tap beer selection.

• Agree
Reactions: Entropy

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Go through Decorah, on way to WI, to just east on HWY 9, take a left at the airport and awaits the fantastic new Toppling Goliath Brew Pub https://bit.ly/2wL90mc.

Get to Stevens Point, WI area (Portage County) Breweries: O'so, Point and Central Waters Breweries is in nearby Amherst. Bicycling:https://www.jsonline.com/story/trav...ng-brewery-tour-stevens-point-area/409698001/

The town of Rosholt east of Stevens Point has Kozy Yak and McZ's Brew Pub which have followings https://www.yelp.com/biz/mczs-brew-pub-rosholt and https://www.facebook.com/KozyYakBrewery/

Taprooms: Mr Brews Taphouse http://www.mrbrewstaphouse.com/locations/plover-wi/beers/ is in the south "suburb" of Plover.

Point Brew offers a lot of stuff (tour, fun T-shirts) but others may be attractive especially if you are looking for eats.

Last edited:

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Semantics but Hopalicious is an APA.

And for me it's basically crack. :)

Their Madtown Nutbrown is pretty good too.
Lol, you got me. I understand it's an APA. He mentioned IPAS, so that's why I referenced it that way. They're similar enough.