Hawkeye Basketball Recruiting

Nate STANley

Feb 4, 2021
Is there any chance that Harding and Freeman were a package deal?

Freeman is a legacy and appears to have the talent to stand on his owns merits but did he choose the Hawks over Wiscy because the Hawks would take Harding too?
Freeman is a legacy?

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
You guys do not know basketball recruiting too well. I get it though, probably hard to follow HS recruiting these days
I think most in this thread are aware of HS recruiting in anticipation of TJ first class this year and the potential best class in ISU history he is targeting in '23.

CF members are more than happy to celebrate Fran's strategy of a majority of kids with either local or family connections to fill the roster. (and the portal). Fran happy accepting low on the court success with high contract off it doing that way and I for one hope he doesn't change.

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
I think most in this thread are aware of HS recruiting in anticipation of TJ first class this year and the potential best class in ISU history he is targeting in '23.

CF members are more than happy to celebrate Fran's strategy of a majority of kids with either local or family connections to fill the roster. (and the portal). Fran happy accepting low on the court success with high contract off it doing that way and I for one hope he doesn't change.
Dude, Freeman is not a legacy. Neither is Harding lol

• Dumb
Reactions: Ayagi

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I think everyone's confused here with the 2024 kid they signed, Cooper Koch, who is a legacy.

• Informative
Reactions: ruflosn

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
Dude, Freeman is not a legacy. Neither is Harding lol
Dude I said "Majority" not "all". Not even Fran could find 15 guys at even a Mid Major level within 200 miles of IC. Though I do think that maybe his dream. :p

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
Dude I said "Majority" not "all". Not even Fran could find 15 guys at even a Mid Major level within 200 miles of IC. Though I do think that maybe his dream. :p
Fran does fine finding guys, but I believe his system turns some away. They want the ball in their hand for 30 minutes. Fran usually plays his guys around 20-25 depending on their production. (Luka and Keegan for example). It is one of the reasons Toussaint left for WV. He wanted to play more than 20 minutes a game. ISU had openings this year and had a good year with some nice breaks in the NCAA tournament (LSU scandal, Wisconsin losing their PG) and took nice advantage of it. TJ looks the part, but will be interesting to see how this team gels for him. Is Limpsy going to be as good as Hunter? Missing on Green stinks but will King be the man? The transfer big will be a really nice addition. You got him because there is an opening there for PT btw. That is always going to be the selling point.

I hope Harding is the real deal for Iowa as I think Freeman is going to be really good. Harding is small, but they have Bowen, Dix, Perkins, Ulis that can handle it for a few years.

chadly82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 10, 2009
You guys do not know basketball recruiting too well. I get it though, probably hard to follow HS recruiting these days
So you’re saying that Iowa Basketball is lighting up the recruiting trail? Imagine Keegan at another school since he wasn’t recruited by hardly anyone. He was obviously under recruited but it’s not like Fran was the guy that saw how amazing he could be. Those kids were headed to Iowa regardless

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
So you’re saying that Iowa Basketball is lighting up the recruiting trail? Imagine Keegan at another school since he wasn’t recruited by hardly anyone. He was obviously under recruited but it’s not like Fran was the guy that saw how amazing he could be. Those kids were headed to Iowa regardless
Not if Iowa did not offer. Fran took the chance

Reactions: 1776

Thinker

Mar 31, 2017
They just got Koch, who is a legacy, but his dads good friend coaches at Wisconsin. and he is from Indiana area and was deep in the process with Purdue

• Dumb
Reactions: 123Punt and Ayagi

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Fran does fine finding guys, but I believe his system turns some away. They want the ball in their hand for 30 minutes. Fran usually plays his guys around 20-25 depending on their production. (Luka and Keegan for example). It is one of the reasons Toussaint left for WV. He wanted to play more than 20 minutes a game. ISU had openings this year and had a good year with some nice breaks in the NCAA tournament (LSU scandal, Wisconsin losing their PG) and took nice advantage of it. TJ looks the part, but will be interesting to see how this team gels for him. Is Limpsy going to be as good as Hunter? Missing on Green stinks but will King be the man? The transfer big will be a really nice addition. You got him because there is an opening there for PT btw. That is always going to be the selling point.

I hope Harding is the real deal for Iowa as I think Freeman is going to be really good. Harding is small, but they have Bowen, Dix, Perkins, Ulis that can handle it for a few years.
Nice try on the lucky break with Hepburn. When he went out he had played 14 minutes, 0 pts, 0% from the field, 0 assists and 2 turnovers. Hepburn was trash.

I get it, it sucks trying to justify one of, if not Fran's best teams being completely and utterly non-competitive with ISU. It sucks to have ISU's patchwork roster beat the co-champ of the Big 10.

It's almost as if, and hear me out here, that KenPom has some legitimacy and the Big 12 was a way better conference than the rest, and ISU's results showed exactly that.