Hawk Talk - KXNO

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
"Jim, When did Iowa fans start to embrace this game"

"When they started winning...."

That says all you need to know about Hawkeye Nation, my friends.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
I'm sure that he will come up with a way to spin how fair it was that the first four games of the renewed series were all played in iowa city.

cmoore_23

Mar 23, 2006
Ankeny, IA
i think this is a good topic, and hate to say it but miller makes some good points, but im goin to try to call in and say my opinion

acs4isu

Sep 8, 2006
West Des Moines
LOL... this is a sign of the apocalypse... I am agreeing with Jim Zabel!

*edit* He just said that cheering for Iowa except when they are playing ISU is "hogwash"... that goes both ways Jimbo!

Last edited:

Todd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
WOW....I can't believe I agree with everything Zabel is saying!!!

Last edited:

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
For those that can't listen to the radio this is pretty much a summary of the show.

John Miller: ISU is charging $90 for tickets. WHAA WHAA WHAA.

John Miller: ISU has been getting more vistor gate receipts than Iowa. WHAA WHAA WHAA.

Jim Zabel is a voice of reason. John it is a rivalry. It's good for the state. The free market determines the price. ISU is stepping up and they need to do that.

John's response. WHAA WHAA WHAA.

Lighten up John :)

acs4isu

Sep 8, 2006
West Des Moines
Has Miller ever stopped to think that the 20% revenue issue hasn't been discussed before because it's NOT an issue? He's acting like an eight year old contract that he just happened to read was never read by anyone involved with EUI before they signed it! For cryin' out loud! If it was such a screw-job, wouldn't one of them there fancy pants lawyers that they are so proud of would have seen this?

mt85

Mar 24, 2006
What I find even funnier is that Hawk fans apparently are so pissed about the ticket policies that they went to the trouble of digging out the contract to see if there was anything they could do about it. Only to find that they have been paying more to ISU then they've been receiving.

It is funny how this never mattered until they started to fear ISU.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Okay John, so you want to tell me that Iowa is getting the short end of the stick here financially because the visiting team gets 20% of the gate and Iowa has a bigger stadium. Lets have a little math lesson John.

Under the old pricing structure with ticket prices of around $65 at both stadiums.

Iowa gets 20% of 55,000 tickets at $65 at Trice, then 80% of 70,000 tickets at $65 at Kinnick.

Iowa total revenue = $4.355 million

ISU then would get 80% of 55,000 at $65 at Trice and 20% of 70,000 at $65 at Kinnick

ISU total revenue = $3.77 million

Now if ISU starts charging $90 and Iowa remains at $65 as Miller says he hopes that they do

Iowa total revenue = $4.63 million

ISU total revenue = $4.87 million

Now you want me to believe that ISU is coming out of this ahead because Iowa has a bigger stadium? I don't think so, because Iowa makes more on the 80% home gate that it keeps than ISU does, this offsets the difference. Iowa has been earning about $600K more than ISU for every 2 years of this series.

Now ISU does take a small advantage with the new prices, but Iowa still gains about $300K over the current revenues, thus the $90 tickets actually help Iowa financially.

So ya know what John, the Hawks have been coming out ahead of ISU on this financially, and assuming they make some sort of price adjustment next year at Iowa, they will still be coming out ahead.

Check the numbers before you start shooting your mouth off John, cause you're making yourself look stupid. Even Zabel disagrees with you.

DaddyMac

Oct 18, 2006
Now hang on Jon.

You're complaining that ISU won't pay Iowa 20% of $90 a ticket, for Endzones, hillsides etc. That this game isn't costing an ISU season ticket holder $90. Well no sh$%

I paid either $60 or $65 for the game last fall. The season ticket for Iowa fans was $325 for an average of $46 a game. Did Iowa pay ISU 20% on that $60 (or $65) for the Iowa season ticket holder?

Add to that question, you're all about Iowa dropping ISU for a Mac school or something and be able to bag more money out of it - will Iowa fans settle for $65 ticket to the national tv matchup against Ohio U?

Last edited:

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
To me it sounded like a Hawk fan waking up and saying, "you mean they have been kicking our butts AND they get more money than we do from it?" I think Hawk fans are restless because they see Iowa State making big strides in the last year, while they are standing still.

Splendid

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines
I listened both days too! Yesterday Jon Miller was crying about "principle" and Iowa getting screwed with $90 tickets. He makes a big deal about the "principle" of whole thing and says to listen tomorrow because he will back up his "principle" argument with damning new material.

Today we find out how bright their former AD was for signing a bad contract. Now Jon wants somebody to back up his fury so he has Jim Zabel on and Jim contradicts Jon and says it's a free market and the schools should get what they can get. Zabel didn't agree with anything Jon was complaining about.

The rest of the show was Iowa fans calling in saying they wanted the series canceled. WA WA WA Iowa fans don't want to compete, they should drop out of the Big 10 if they don't want to compete and join the MAC.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron