Hawk fans gonna turn on Stanley

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I agree. But tell a Hawk fan that and their response is "ball placement and accuracy can be taught. His intangibles can't be" which is just asinine cause if that's true, then why hasn't Iowa taught him it yet
Those things can be tought.. to a freshman or a sophomore in college. Stanley hasn't progressed really at all from his first year starting to this year and that's a primary reason as to why his draft stock has plummeted since then. Two years ago, Todd McShay had Stanley as a potential first rounder after his junior year, but made the point that he had to get better in a lot of areas and that his intangibles were what NFL teams were looking at. Stanley just isn't a star. He has the look, but doesn't have the pure QB talent that is needed for a high level player. If Brock Purdy had Stanley's height, he'd be looked at like Justin Herbert and Trevor Lawrence are looked at. Brock Purdy doesn't have the intangibles, but he has that star talent and is a flat out gamer.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Those things can be tought.. to a freshman or a sophomore in college. Stanley hasn't progressed really at all from his first year starting to this year and that's a primary reason as to why his draft stock has plummeted since then. Two years ago, Todd McShay had Stanley as a potential first rounder after his junior year, but made the point that he had to get better in a lot of areas and that his intangibles were what NFL teams were looking at. Stanley just isn't a star. He has the look, but doesn't have the pure QB talent that is needed for a high level player. If Brock Purdy had Stanley's height, he'd be looked at like Justin Herbert and Trevor Lawrence are looked at. Brock Purdy doesn't have the intangibles, but he has that star talent and is a flat out gamer.

Purdy has the intangibles, just not the physical characteristics.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Purdy has the intangibles, just not the physical characteristics.
Correct, for some reason I was mixing myself up. Scratch what I said lol. Purdy has the "it factor", sort of like Johnny Football and Baker Mayfield did. They had the ability to make something big happen every time they touched the ball. That's what Purdy has and that's what Stanley lacks.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Correct, for some reason I was mixing myself up. Scratch what I said lol. Purdy has the "it factor", sort of like Johnny Football and Baker Mayfield did. They had the ability to make something big happen every time they touched the ball. That's what Purdy has and that's what Stanley lacks.

Uhhh what do you mean by “sort of”?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
Uhhh what do you mean by “sort of”?
I was giving Johnny and Baker the benefit of the doubt in which they are at another level than Purdy is. Purdy resembles them but maybe isn't as talented overall. I'm not doubting that Purdy can't maybe be there someday but Johnny has gone down as one of the most electric players in college football history, and Baker was absolutely unreal at OU who led a team to a Sugar Bowl victory and back to back College Football Playoff appearances. Not to mention both won Heismans.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I was giving Johnny and Baker the benefit of the doubt in which they are at another level than Purdy is. Purdy resembles them but maybe isn't as talented overall. I'm not doubting that Purdy can't maybe be there someday but Johnny has gone down as one of the most electric players in college football history, and Baker was absolutely unreal at OU who led a team to a Sugar Bowl victory and back to back College Football Playoff appearances. Not to mention both won Heismans.

ok. That makes more sense.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
ok. That makes more sense.
I think as Purdy keeps progressing and gets older, he's going to be a prospect like Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson was the 75th draft pick, taken in the 3rd round, and NFL teams were hesitant to take him because of his size.

• Agree
Reactions: CyTwins

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I think as Purdy keeps progressing and gets older, he's going to be a prospect like Russell Wilson. Russell Wilson was the 75th draft pick, taken in the 3rd round, and NFL teams were hesitant to take him because of his size.

purdy will never be Russell Wilson. You’re crazy.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
purdy will never be Russell Wilson. You’re crazy.
Like Russell Wilson as far as draft status. Russell Wilson is one of the best QB's in the league I absolutely do not think Purdy will be as good as him. Lol I wasn't comparing skill level, merely their resemblance in size / stature / play style.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Like Russell Wilson as far as draft status. Russell Wilson is one of the best QB's in the league I absolutely do not think Purdy will be as good as him. Lol I wasn't comparing skill level, merely their resemblance in size / stature / play style.

oh you said “a prospect like Russell Wilson”. Confused me.

I think Purdy will get drafted but I would doubt it would be in the 3rd round.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
oh you said “a prospect like Russell Wilson”. Confused me.

I think Purdy will get drafted but I would doubt it would be in the 3rd round.
Purdy still has 2 more years and if he makes the same progress he made this past offseason, I wouldn't completely shut down the fact that he could be in that 3rd round, especially if Iowa State ends up having a break out season next year or the year after. If he makes the Heisman list in the next two years, that will help him greatly in terms of draft stock.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Purdy still has 2 more years and if he makes the same progress he made this past offseason, I wouldn't completely shut down the fact that he could be in that 3rd round, especially if Iowa State ends up having a break out season next year or the year after. If he makes the Heisman list in the next two years, that will help him greatly in terms of draft stock.

did he really progress that much over the last year? Thought he was great last year and the same this year. But it could be him losing a pro WR and having to work with less.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
did he really progress that much over the last year? Thought he was great last year and the same this year. But it could be him losing a pro WR and having to work with less.
I think he reads and sees the defense much better, he's much more comfortable in the pocket and doesn't leave it nearly as early or as much as he did last year. He is more accurate this year (which was pretty hard to do), and I actually think his play making abilities are a bit better. I also think he's the type of football player and person that is going to never stop getting better at what he does. He will never settle.

• Agree
Reactions: ATCy and CyTwins

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I think he reads and sees the defense much better, he's much more comfortable in the pocket and doesn't leave it nearly as early or as much as he did last year. He is more accurate this year (which was pretty hard to do), and I actually think his play making abilities are a bit better. I also think he's the type of football player and person that is going to never stop getting better at what he does. He will never settle.

I’d like to see him run more actually. He’s good at running from the pocket. I don’t like it when they use him in RPO style runs.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I’d like to see him run more actually. He’s good at running from the pocket. I don’t like it when they use him in RPO style runs.
I think that'll continue to work it's way back in the offense, however his arm talent and accuracy has been tremendous and our WR's and TE's have been great at getting open. So, if Purdy can get the ball out to those guys and just let them make plays, that's where our offense is extremely hard to stop, especially when Hall is able to run the ball like he has.